The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Minibrute a suitable bass synth?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Is the Minibrute a suitable bass synth?

I'm starting to see more and more Minibrutes on the used market. After, getting a DSI mopho X4, I thought the analog route would be covered. However, I always wanted a Roland sh09 and this seems like the closest modern counterpart. Also, I think that having at least one VCO synth would add some variety in the analog aspect. I also like the the idea of a small little unit I can dabble around with when I'm not serious about recording anything. I like the idea of being able to build a sound from scratch without having to edit an already existing patch.

I'd probably dedicate the MB to mostly bass. However, I read a few reviews that aren't praising it for it's bass capabilities. I find this a little disapointing because I'm not sure what else I'd use a 1osc mono synth for. Even so they are pretty cheap on the used market so what harm is there, right?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

If its a cheap monosynth you are looking for bass duties, check the Moog Minitaur before you buy anything else.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I forgot all about that one. It would also fit very nicely in the corner of my mopho X4
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

because you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnl View Post
However, I always wanted a Roland sh09 and this seems like the closest modern counterpart. Also, I think that having at least one VCO synth would add some variety in the analog aspect.

then yes, without a doubt get the minibrute. especially for the prices you can get them for on the used market.

it's not an sh09 or sh101, but it's a damn good alternative.

minitaur is obviously nice but it's more limited and more expensive, even on the used market. it's a "moog" sound, NOT the roland sound you're after.

i consistently use the minibrute for simple bass duties. it sounds fantastic, especially when you use either the brute factor or the hpf with a bit of resonance

just my 2 cents
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Check out the Bass Station 2 for a Rolandy sound. More features than the MB, similarly priced or cheaper, two VCOs instead of one and personally speaking, much better sounding than the Minibrute...but that is down to taste.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

If you are considering that, do consider the Vermona Mono Lancet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios View Post
If its a cheap monosynth you are looking for bass duties, check the Moog Minitaur before you buy anything else.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
two VCOs instead of one
sh09 has one VCO, minibrute has one VCO...

bass station II has two DCOs

however, i agree that OP should most definitely look at it
Old 17th October 2013
+1 for the mono lancet!
Also if you like the Roland tone you should also consider the S.E Boomstar 3003 (although a bit more pricey)
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I'm considering getting a brute at some point too, can you get quite creamy basslines out of it, like a low passed reese kinda sound or is that undoable?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Check out the Bass Station 2 for a Rolandy sound. More features than the MB, similarly priced or cheaper, two VCOs instead of one and personally speaking, much better sounding than the Minibrute...but that is down to taste.
This is on my list of alternatives. However, the one thing I don't like about it is the plastic case. It sort of implies cheap build quality. I'm leaning more towards MB mostly because of how cheap you can find one used. It doesn't seem as wasteful in the event I can't find a big need for it. I also feel that my mopho X4 already covers a lot of the multi-oscilator ground.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is on my list of alternatives. However, the one thing I don't like about it is the plastic case. It sort of implies cheap build quality. I'm leaning more towards MB mostly because of how cheap you can find one used. It doesn't seem as wasteful in the event I can't find a big need for it. I also feel that my mopho X4 already covers a lot of the multi-oscilator ground.
i really think you have good reasons for this. MB is built like a tank as well, so if that's a concern for you it's definitely not the cheap plastic of a bsII

you will get a LOT of recommendations on here that will blatantly stray from your original question.

don't let them confuse you. Listen to demos of the minibrute, read through the manual, and then keep an eye out for any used one that goes for less than $300

you'll be able to find it eventually, and it's a steal.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

When I had a Minibrute I thought one of the best things it did was sub-bass type sounds. Which was a surprise because that wasn't normally what I heard in demos. I'll attach a raw short clip below.
Attached Files

Minibrute SB.mp3 (583.2 KB, 967 views)

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady View Post
When I had a Minibrute I thought one of the best things it did was sub-bass type sounds. Which was a surprise because that wasn't normally what I heard in demos. I'll attach a raw short clip below.
What monitors are you using? Cause there is a hefty amount of (upper) bass in this clip, but not a lot of sub. If anything this sounds, sub light and I was paying attention to the low 8ve note of the clip.
Old 17th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

There is a couple sweet spots for really subby bass on the Minibrute, but I wouldn't say it's a bass synth per se.

Imo a proper bass synth needs a 24db/oct filter like a Moog ladder or Curtis but that's just how I feel.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
i picked up a minitaur a couple of weeks ago and all i can say is that bass is covered. there is a low frequency rumble to that unit that blows everything else i have in the mono category (dark energy, ms20, perfourmer, mopho) completely out of the water. and those synths aren't too bad for bass either.

there is literally no comparison. if you want bass and sub-bass, you can't go wrong with the minitaur. you just won't get a keyboard.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm probably using the wrong term to describe it. I guess I meant to mean more muddy bass? Well whatever the clip I posted was, that's the thing that surprised me.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
I'm starting to see more and more Minibrutes on the used market. After, getting a DSI mopho X4, I thought the analog route would be covered. However, I always wanted a Roland sh09 and this seems like the closest modern counterpart. Also, I think that having at least one VCO synth would add some variety in the analog aspect. I also like the the idea of a small little unit I can dabble around with when I'm not serious about recording anything. I like the idea of being able to build a sound from scratch without having to edit an already existing patch.

I'd probably dedicate the MB to mostly bass. However, I read a few reviews that aren't praising it for it's bass capabilities. I find this a little disapointing because I'm not sure what else I'd use a 1osc mono synth for. Even so they are pretty cheap on the used market so what harm is there, right?
While I'm not a fan of the minibrute I'll admit it was a good synth. I sold mine two weeks ago and out of my entire collection it was the one I didn't really care about much.

I also own a SH09. Both are good synths but SHO9 is different in sound.

If I could do it all over again I'd just skip the SH09 and save up to get a SH02.

Another reason I kept the 09 is because it has a certain Roland monophonic sound that my others do not have. Since I own a string of Rolands, Juno 60, JX3P, 8P, Alpha 2, I thought it would play nice with them.

If you want a bass synth a vintage Moog can take you to that place. My Prodigy vibrates the room gloriously. BUT...it is pretty limited in sonic creation compared to the minibrute.

All good synths though.

This is all just my subjective opinion, not looking for a GS fight.

Some people bond with certain synths and some don't. Honestly you'd have to try each to come to your conclusion. I can tell you for sure if you played both you'd hear a difference and there would be no answer but to buy both! Ha!

I'll probably get GAS and end up buying it back one day though! Ha!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search