The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Ebay Buyer feedback question RE Broken Synth Voice
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Ebay Buyer feedback question RE Broken Synth Voice

So I recently bought a Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 off ebay. I got a very good price for it.

The Auction had said it needed calibration but all the voices work. The device is being sold AS IS.

The people selling the synth weren't the most technicaliy minded individuals (they had bought this thing in the 80's to make music with..they aren't technicians)

I'm pretty handy when it comes to calibrating and even fixing synths. So I plunged in.

Now i have the unit at home. outside of the calibration and keybed cleaning issues. One of the filter chips needs replacing which is gonna cost around $100. Even with this added expense. I'm still happy with the price I got the synth for.

Is this something I take up with the seller? is this something that should reflect the feedback on the Auction?

j

0=0
Old 17th October 2013
Ebay will most likely side with you even if the seller doesn't want to reimburse you. If it came down to that and they didn't want to you'd have to file an ebay case with proof.

Problem is that they stated the voices work so they are at fault listing that detail if you say that isn't entirely true.

It's up to you if you want to take it up with them. Just ask yourself would you have bought it if you did know that the voice chip was bad?

Buying vintage synths is risky, especially on ebay.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the filter chips for only $40 and they are socketed so it would be a pretty cheap and easy fix...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

They described it to the best of their ability as far as I can tell, voices working but something weird, calibration is a standard guess.
You take a chance, sometimes its less than described, usually its more complex, but I certainly wouldnt make them pay for the fix or give them bad feedback if they honestly described it and gave you fair warning stating as is.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I have the filter chips for only $40 and they are socketed so it would be a pretty cheap and easy fix...
Hey Doug..there are apparently different Revisions of the 3372 that have different resonance scaling.

Do you know if your stock are the ones that are compatible? REV-B? REV-C? "01"?

(i've also read there are variations on the C)

either way i'll get in touch!

j

0=0
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Just ask yourself would you have bought it if you did know that the voice chip was bad?
for the price i probably would have.

j

0=0
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
in the interest of completing this thread. I decided that I'm not gonna take up an issue with the seller.

Doug will email you soon.

j

0=0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search