The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Real life workstation feedback
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Real life workstation feedback

Hello All,
I'm thinking of buying a workstation keyboard to compliment my current DAW/synth setup (I use Cubase 6 w/ a Ensoniq controller and a Prophet 8).

I've played with the Korg Kronos 61, Kurzweil PC3K7, Yamaha MOTIF XF61, Roland Fantom G6. (Nord is out of my price range, didn't like the Virus T2).

The reason I'm looking is while I mostly work in the box, I feel I spend too much time loading VSTs and setting up routing and such in my DAW - rather than creating music. I've played with the listed models in various music stores, but would like some real-world feedback on day to day session use - something you just won't know spending an hour or 2 using it in a store. I don't gig, so I don't really need the set list feature, and I'm not much of a tweaker - I tend to modify patches. I lean towards more traditional FM/analog synth sounds, so how "realistic" the pianos, strings, brass, etc is not as important to me. Real world thoughts and feedback on day-to-day use would be greatly appreciated.

-lostproc
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Well for FM, Yamaha wrote the book. If you are not interested in realistic sounds, then why a rompler, workstation?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Why not save some cash and take a look at a second hand SY77/99 or Alesis Fusion? they both do FM and have typical workstation features.

The fusion is really nice synth for the price they go for, the sequencer is decent and there are a lot of different synth models to work with.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought....
Romplers are ok, but I guess I was drawn to the actual synthesis ability of the some of the workstations (e.g Korg with it 9 engines, Kurzweil with VAST). I tend to use more analog and FM type sounds. I still use string/piano pads/programs, I'm just not as religious about it as some (as I have seen on other threads here). What I was looking for was validation/experience with using workstation style synth with their many abilities (large program selection, splits/combis and many note polyphony vs a DAW. Like I said earlier, it's one thing to play around with one in a store, but I was seeking feedback from those who use them on a regular basis and their perspective on process and any limitations of using a workstation vs a DAW.

-lostproc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search