The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Boards of Canda vocals
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Boards of Canda vocals

Sixtyten in particular:

How did they make vocals sound like that? Does anybody have an idea of what kind of effects one would have to use?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

funny i've been listening to nothing but BoC while driving this past week or so (i have an mp3 cd i made with almost all of their stuff on it sitting in my car).

i was dissecting this track when it came on as well.

can you be a little more specific please? give us times, description of the effect you want to reproduce in detail, and any relevant fx you already own.

to me it sounds like they have blended a jazz or funk sample of trumpets and drums, and do like a tape-speed warp effect to make it blend in with the vocals coming in.

later on (around 3:36) it's vocals that have been reversed and then simple delay, panned to taste.

towards the end (after 5:00) it sounds like the "scratch" effect

5:21 to end is one of my favorite synth lines ever
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Seriously weird coincidence been listening non stop this week too and paying mind to the strange dialogue samples they use. But not so much as to how they made the sound but what the heck they are saying...

Anyway to me it sounds like a ring mod in light settings as to be like a tremolo effect. I've also been able to get that sound using Ableton Live's autopan set to sample and hold setting, lfo really fast.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
to me it sounds like they have blended a jazz or funk sample of trumpets and drums, and do like a tape-speed warp effect to make it blend in with the vocals coming in.
Do you know any ways of getting this tape effect? Every since I switched to a new OS, I've only been using Ableton and FabFilter effects. I've wanted to try something really weird with tape for a while now that I have a working cassette recorder.

(I have also been listening to pretty much nothing but BoC, with some Aphex Twin and occasional Kromestar and Autechre.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search