The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Odyssey Vs. Boomstar 4075, anybody compared?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Odyssey Vs. Boomstar 4075, anybody compared?

In a never ending quest to shrink the physical size of my setup, I'm wondering if the Boomstar 4075 would fill the void if I sold my MK3 Odyssey.

While I know they are not identical in feature set or design, I'm wondering if anybody has compared the two and had any thoughts about them as they relate to each other?
Attached Thumbnails
Odyssey Vs. Boomstar 4075, anybody compared?-arp_vs_se.jpg  
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thoughts--(my opinions, others are free to disagree).
The 4075 has a hell of a lot more bottom end (no high pass filter in circuit) and is far more flexible. It has no keyboard nor PPC, but it does have MIDI. You can buy 2-3 Boomstars for what vintage Arps are going for on Ebay, and they will still take less space. The Boomstar is in current production, and the caps are very likely to be just fine... as are the pots. And everything else. You can get one still under warranty. All the parts for the Boomstars are still available.
The Arp does have a lovely noise generator. IF you like the thinner and more etherial sound of the Oddy, or you like the vintage vibe, you should keep the Arp. If none of those things matter, then dump the Oddy and get B*.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for your thoughts, drooo! I've been listening to the 4075 demos on soundcloud and I'm really impressed with what I'm hearing.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think the reason that there are no comparisons is that these are two very different synths.

Not knocking the boomstar but just because a synth has a filter "type" slapped on does not mean it "replaces" the original. I also think that was never the intention of SE anyway.

So, if you need a machine to just take over "monosynth duties" then the new model definitively makes sense. SE stuff sounds very nice (haven't heard the boomstars in person but risk of being disappointed apart from personal preference is small).

If you want the "ody sound" then I'd be more careful with a modern replacement...
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
I think the reason that there are no comparisons is that these are two very different synths.

Not knocking the boomstar but just because a synth has a filter "type" slapped on does not mean it "replaces" the original. I also think that was never the intention of SE anyway.

So, if you need a machine to just take over "monosynth duties" then the new model definitively makes sense. SE stuff sounds very nice (haven't heard the boomstars in person but risk of being disappointed apart from personal preference is small).

If you want the "ody sound" then I'd be more careful with a modern replacement...

+1 From this thread, I went and listened to some Boomstar examples, it sounds fantastic.

Then I went and did the same for the Arp (even though I own one) and immediately was reminded of "that" Oddy" sound. It's 1000% brilliant.

Boomstar is great, but best left to be evaluated as it's own thing, IMHO.

-a
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search