The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Some kind of trigger for pre-recorded synth?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Some kind of trigger for pre-recorded synth?

Wasn't sure where to post this.. But I'll try here. My situation is this: my band has begun playing more and more live shows, and our full length album is due out sometime 2014. We have occasional keyboard parts recorded on the album, and would love to recreate them live for the full effect. In order to do this, there are a couple obvious solutions...

1) Get a keyboard player. - the issue here is we don't feature an abundance of keyboard parts in our music. If there's another way, we'd take that option! Hence my being here :P

2) Play to a click, and play the pre-recorded keyboard parts via a pedal? -my knowledge on this sort of thing is limited.. But on paper it sounds like that would work. Issue is we would REALLY prefer to not play to a click. Kind of takes away from the whole thing.

Now, i have an idea in my head that would make it work but I have no idea if such technology exists...
3) Using the same pre recorded keyboard parts, is there some kind of device that can identify the BPM we are playing at and auto- adjust the recordings to match in real-time?

Any suggestions are much appreciated,

Cheers!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Mpc 1000?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

Octatrack for realtime tempo adjustment. Or a laptop with Ableton Live.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

how important are the other parts during the keyboard bits?

would it be ok for the lead singer / guitarist / bassist to learn how to play them?

i really think that's the best and easiest option
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Octatrack for realtime tempo adjustment. Or a laptop with Ableton Live.
I've seen some stuff around the internet where people have DIYed a footpedal to trigger clips in Ableton and tap tempo to set the BPM. Trying to keep already recorded parts in time with a more traditional rock band setup seems like more of a pain then it's worth to me, though.

The most common way people do with though it to play to a backing track which I'm never a fan of unless you're NIN. When I've played in bands in this situation we have either just ignored the keyboard parts and made a new arrangement of the song that sounds good live without them, or had one of the guitar players or bass player play the keyboard parts, again with slightly adjusted arrangements.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

You seek the orbit. It is wireless, cheap, and awesome.

http://www.numark.com/product/orbit
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Wow thanks everyone for the quick replies! Ill be looking into orbit, octatrak and mpc now.
To answer some of you more specifically, yes - in the past our bassist would play certain keyboard parts that existed as an integral part of the melody.. But then you lose the bass! I now play some of the keyboard parts on guitar, when the song would otherwise be empty. Those parts, though, where everything hits on the recordings just sound so full! It would be a crime to not do it live if there's a way to do it.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

One thing though - when you say "recorded", there's a difference between recording as samples and recording as MIDI. The MPC1000 will happily play back MIDI parts at any desirable tempo, but it won't auto-stretch samples of drum loops or something on the fly. You can sort of enable this this by chopping up a drum loop in its separate slices and playing those back separately at a lower tempo. That means that a snare may be cut off unexpectedly, but at least you have some degree of control over the tempo and there will be no other typical timestretching artifacts.

As for keeping tempo: somehow you need to be able to send a tap tempo signal from whatever device to whatever you're using. I don't know if there's anything that can automatically pick up what you're playing by analysing the outgoing audio signal; a better choice is probably something that calculates a windowed average every 4 beats or so, and then let the drummer hit the kick and add a trigger to that or something.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search