The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it possible to midi sync a Bass Station 2 with a Volca Beats?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Is it possible to midi sync a Bass Station 2 with a Volca Beats?

Loving the look of the BSII, nice low-end (my Mono/Poly is a little weak at this) nice multimode filter (external IN!) and cool filter FM with an oscillator.

I know it has a sequencer on it, 32 steps is great, and I know it has a Midi Out port. Now, I'm aware that the BSII can 1. sync to an external Midi Clock (from your DAW for example) and 2. it's sequencer can spit out it's notes from it's midi out, but can it 3. PROVIDE a Midi Clock out of the output aswell? So you can slave other gear to it?

Would like to grab one of these and maybe a volca beats (which i'm aware can be slaved to Midi), to have a nice jam with whilst i'm away from the studio at xmas

Nice sync out on the Beats so I can bring the Monotribe along for the ride aswell!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder if they have a queries email address.
Old 17th October 2013
m.o
Lives for gear

Maybe you could send an email to Nick Batt at SonicState, he just put up a review of the BS2, and they have reviewed the Volcas recently too...
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Loving the look of the BSII, nice low-end (my Mono/Poly is a little weak at this) nice multimode filter (external IN!) and cool filter FM with an oscillator.

I know it has a sequencer on it, 32 steps is great, and I know it has a Midi Out port. Now, I'm aware that the BSII can 1. sync to an external Midi Clock (from your DAW for example) and 2. it's sequencer can spit out it's notes from it's midi out, but can it 3. PROVIDE a Midi Clock out of the output aswell? So you can slave other gear to it?

Would like to grab one of these and maybe a volca beats (which i'm aware can be slaved to Midi), to have a nice jam with whilst i'm away from the studio at xmas

Nice sync out on the Beats so I can bring the Monotribe along for the ride aswell!
I have tried this with the Volca Keys and it doesn't work. As far as I can tell there's no MIDI clock sent from the BSII. Also having some problems with the sync drifting when receiving MIDI clock. Very unfortunate, but it does sound fantastic. I may return mine though if the sync and clock out issues are not addressed.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostraka View Post
I have tried this with the Volca Keys and it doesn't work. As far as I can tell there's no MIDI clock sent from the BSII. Also having some problems with the sync drifting when receiving MIDI clock. Very unfortunate, but it does sound fantastic. I may return mine though if the sync and clock out issues are not addressed.
Are you having sync issues with the BS2 receiving midi clock or is it the Beats?
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Are you having sync issues with the BS2 receiving midi clock or is it the Beats?
I have the Volca Keys, but the sync issues are with the BSII. The keys has been pretty solid. Synched it with the Tempest (master) and Monotribe for an entire album.

https://soundcloud.com/ostraka/sets/..._fauxpocalypse

A little about said album:

Builders of the Fauxpocalypse: A Dogmatic Approach to Music Making | Audio Cookbook
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

The sync can be done. The BS2 has a midi clock.
Old 27th October 2013
Just got the Volca Bass yesterday & had it hooked up to the Minibrute: sync in (or out, as the case may be) seems to work better than midi.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the Volca Keys, but the sync issues are with the BSII. The keys has been pretty solid. Synched it with the Tempest (master) and Monotribe for an entire album.

https://soundcloud.com/ostraka/sets/..._fauxpocalypse

A little about said album:

Builders of the Fauxpocalypse: A Dogmatic Approach to Music Making | Audio Cookbook
Yesterday I tried a sync test with the BS2 and Cubase 7. I didn't realize I had a bad usb cable and was trying to see the BS2 midi etc. so I could send clock out to it. No BS2 so I hooked up some midi cables to my interface and the BS2 and forged on. I was able to get a decent sync time and even threw 2 program changes and lots of controller info. Worked like a charm.I was going to test using both usb and midi outs anyway I'll start whining if I eventually run into problems but good to go so far. I know this is different then your scenario but using the BS2 arps in Cubase is working just fine.
Old 28th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Yesterday I tried a sync test with the BS2 and Cubase 7. I didn't realize I had a bad usb cable and was trying to see the BS2 midi etc. so I could send clock out to it. No BS2 so I hooked up some midi cables to my interface and the BS2 and forged on. I was able to get a decent sync time and even threw 2 program changes and lots of controller info. Worked like a charm.I was going to test using both usb and midi outs anyway I'll start whining if I eventually run into problems but good to go so far. I know this is different then your scenario but using the BS2 arps in Cubase is working just fine.
Actually sync with the BSII and Ableton seems to be pretty good until doing some on-the-fly tempo adjustments, or start and stops on the seq/arp. Have you tried any of that? Although not as frequently in the studio, this sort of thing is pretty critical during live performances.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually sync with the BSII and Ableton seems to be pretty good until doing some on-the-fly tempo adjustments, or start and stops on the seq/arp. Have you tried any of that? Although not as frequently in the studio, this sort of thing is pretty critical during live performances.
Yesterday was only "test 1" like I said so far so good. I was prepared for it being fubar out of the gates. Perhaps Cubase works better for some, other DAWS I don't know but I sure have read the complaints and I understand your dilemma. I have hopes Novation will tighten thinks up better for all.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

also curious about getting the BS2 and volca to talk to each other anyone have any info on this? i heard that modding the volca beats to have a midi out will send clock---- big shrugs of vagueness o over here
Old 14th October 2015
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but has anyone gotten experience slaving the bs2 via the midi input?

I'm thinking of picking up an electric sampler and bs2 to get away from the computer, it seems tho atm the sync i/o on the Arturia brutes may be a tighter option, assuming korg/Arturia sync will play nicely.
Old 14th October 2015
Ah nevermind!
I dug around and found out via youtube that people have been able to get sync working via the midi in on the BS2 since updates have occurred and sequencer plays in sync to the master tempo.

Meanwhile on the arturia side the sync has had issues with the korg stuff but can work if you give up the LFO on the arturia and use the square LFO synced to tempo and set it up as a divider clock source for the korg sync i/o as the sync/midi i/o seems to drift from others experiences.

Anyway carry on/disapprove me!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search