The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
One nord to rule them all
View Poll Results: Which Nord is the better synth?
Nord Lead 2(X)
20 Votes - 45.45%
Nord Lead 3
10 Votes - 22.73%
Nord Lead 4
9 Votes - 20.45%
Nord Wave
5 Votes - 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th October 2013
One nord to rule them all

Which is the greater synth (not the most influential as we all now the NL2 has a long history).

NL2(x)
NL3
NL4
Nord Wave
Nord G1
Nord G2
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Lead 3
In my opinion
Nord Lead 3
Nord G2
Nord Lead 2
Nord Lead 2X
Old 16th October 2013
Oh sheeet totally forgot about the G2.... well the G2 would probably win as its "every synth" so to speak so lets all just whisper and pretend the G2 isn't there.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

My vote Nord modular 1.

IMO they got it right the frist time the sound is awesome..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
My vote Nord modular 1.

IMO they got it right the frist time the sound is awesome..
+1. All the flexibility and the grittiest sound of them all, which for me is what I love so much about the Nord Lead. The 3 and X series where/are too clean for my taste.

I think the Nord Lead 1 is the best instant gratification digital synth, with the best (imo) sound and a fantastic workhorse in the studio.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

G1!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Former NL 2X and 3 owner, current G2 owner. In terms of flexibility, the G2 beats out almost every synth ever made. I prefer the raw sound of the G1, but I really hate the interface. I also really love some of the new modules in the G2, so the G2's the winner for me.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

From what I understand this puppy nearly sunk Clavia..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

g2 is killer, its success in the marketplace isn't relevant,

maybe it didn't have enough backstreet boy type sounds in it, that woulda hurt a synth around that time
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
From what I understand this puppy nearly sunk Clavia..
That is only because they produced 3 models of G2 instead of the one everybody wanted, rack version with the screens.

Unbelievable and unforgivable fail on their part.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac
To the original question:

G1 micro modular.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Lead 2(X)
OP, you need to add more models to the survey, obviously you're missing some favorites.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Lead 4
loved my G2X. love the G2 as well. would probably get a NL4 for convience purposes.
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted User
Most people don't want / need the Nord modulars. They are out of date. The Leads (1 & 2x) have most everything you need: that classic sound.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters View Post
Most people don't want / need the Nord modulars. They are out of date. The Leads (1 & 2x) have most everything you need: that classic sound.
People say that but I've yet to hear something all that inspiring. The wave looks really interesting.

I'll edit the poll later to add the modular seeing as it seems to be the most popular

Sent from my HTL22
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

My Choice: Nord Lead 2(X)
I still like the Lead 2X - just feels/sounds right to me. Couldn't get into the Leads after that although they may have had better/more convenient features...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

i really cant understand how the g2 is outdated,

it does soo much stuff that the leads never thought about, from effects to the insane sequencing, i think its more feature packed than any other nord, including the new ones.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You clearly haven't worked with one then...

What you can do with a Nord Modular goes way beyond what you can do with a Lead.
Not saying a Lead is not useful, it clearly is as you have a very nice interface to edit realtime, but it is extremely limited when compared with a Nord Modular.

For instance, I use my Nord Modular G2X constantly as a drum machine on its own, which is just impossible to do with a Nord Lead.

For me the Modulars are clearly the best synths they designed.
But for simple things, the Leads are great, and the Lead 3 really has a fantastic interface (and sound too).
Old 17th October 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree that most people don't want or need the Modulars, as one really needs to delve into programming to get the most out them. For me, that's half the point of synths though; synthesis.

AFAIK, G2 is about the most flexible synth ever made, with a friendly programming interface, and the keyboards have great performance controls too. The flexibility, depth of programming, interface(s) and usable DSP power make this still a great option today. I understand criticising it on it's inherent character (or lack of it), but saying it's out of date doesn't make sense. It's a great synth for programming and exploring synthesis and signals/systems. Even the character for which it's often criticised is a boon in some sense, as it aids complex synthesis, and in the end, one programs one's own character in a G2.

Leads are fine for instant gratification. Plenty of competition in that regard. I like my Lead 1. Quite like the Lead 2x as well. These are both rather simple/limited though. Easy to mix and layer. Not as rich or exciting as the great analogues. Lead 1 can be very closely emulated in a Modular 1. 2x can't really be emulated in either Modular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
Not saying a Lead is not useful, it clearly is as you have a very nice interface to edit realtime, but it is extremely limited when compared with a Nord Modular.
Limited compared with many synths.

Quote:
For instance, I use my Nord Modular G2X constantly as a drum machine on its own, which is just impossible to do with a Nord Lead.
Do you use the Lead drum mode? I guess you're talking about the sequencers and versatile programming/processing as well.

Quote:
For me the Modulars are clearly the best synths they designed.
Most interesting for me. I wish they could have gone a bit further with them (sampling, 24 bit RAM, more RAM, the promised extra modules and module design ... ). Marketing was tricky though. I think Clavia would have had to have had extensive and relevant preset patches available to make the synth popular. I think it took most users a few months to start really working well with the G2, and the factory presets didn't really reveal the strengths of the synth (I imaging time would have been limited to those initial programmers). As noted, most users aren't so interested in delving deep into programming, so it's a tough sell. I expect most shops didn't have an editor set up for demo.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Really? the Modulars ARE the leads and SO much more , Clavia even had teh Lead 2 patches for free here:

Nord Modular free sounds
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Wave
Nobody gonna give any public love to a Wave? Just me?

It's got limitations and it's a bit pricey but it's a lovely synth and the screen enhances the pleasure of the interface.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Lead 3
Nl3 has the interface, it's layering works wonders and holds the synth for what it may lack in character vs it's brothers, a lot of performance features too.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
Nobody gonna give any public love to a Wave? Just me?

It's got limitations and it's a bit pricey but it's a lovely synth and the screen enhances the pleasure of the interface.
having never owned a nord, the wave seems to be the most interesting.
Old 17th October 2013
the Nord Modulars ...no contest. not only are they Clavia's best release, they are also arguably the greatest digital synths ever.

I'd still like to eventually pick up a G2, but being an original owner of the Nord Modular keyboard, it gets my vote. fantastic sound and depth.

the fact that the Lead was the hit and the Modular faded to obscurity says nothing of the Lead's superiority and is rather a representation of the laziness and lack of imagination that is inherent of most.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

i think the g2 would would probably do better today, just cause it seems like all the stuff about it was a bit too ahead of its time,,,, could make it crazy powerful for cheaper as well,
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The only thing keeping from a Nord Modular is needing an old OS to edit. Is it correct that there is not a reliable editor for OSX Mountain Lion for either G1 or G2?
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
The only thing keeping from a Nord Modular is needing an old OS to edit. Is it correct that there is not a reliable editor for OSX Mountain Lion for either G1 or G2?
I've heard rumor that the G2 has a working editor on mac.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

you could also use virtualbox and run an older OS in that

clavia digital musical instruments
Old 18th October 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

IMO, better off having a cheap Windows box for editing. It's handy to have a dedicated screen for the editor anyway. IIRC, the main issue with the (NM1 ed.) Mac editor, is that it was originally written for PPC. As the Windows editor was the first released, I always thought that was Clavia's focus for that product anyway. Editors run fine on Win 7.

edit - G2 editor works on Mountain Lion. NM1 editor does not. There are open source editor projects for both of these, but in development.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

+1 for the Nord G2. NL3 wins a second place.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search