The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
One nord to rule them all
View Poll Results: Which Nord is the better synth?
Nord Lead 2(X)
20 Votes - 45.45%
Nord Lead 3
10 Votes - 22.73%
Nord Lead 4
9 Votes - 20.45%
Nord Wave
5 Votes - 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th October 2013
Can a mod add the modulars to the poll? I can't seem to edit it myself.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
IMO, better off having a cheap Windows box for editing. It's handy to have a dedicated screen for the editor anyway. IIRC, the main issue with the (NM1 ed.) Mac editor, is that it was originally written for PPC. As the Windows editor was the first released, I always thought that was Clavia's focus for that product anyway. Editors run fine on Win 7.

edit - G2 editor works on Mountain Lion. NM1 editor does not. There are open source editor projects for both of these, but in development.
another option is just picking up an old Mac for cheap,

after retiring my final PowerMac, my Nord Modular went out of service for some time. last year I bought it a G3 iMac and they're a great pair. it's nice having OS9 back, not only can I put some of my old music programs back to use but there is the added bonus of letting me revisit my old Blizzard games.

as for the open source editors, the NM1 editor Nomad appears to be dead and it also doesn't work on the current MacOS, conversely, there is always the unsavory option of simply running Windows on your Mac
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
The Windows version of G1 ModularEditor works fine with Wine on Linux. That might be one option to get the editor running on Macs.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I never thought about grabbing an old mac! lol, Im running the editor on a win xp netbook
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Nut
My Choice: Nord Lead 4
everybody says nord modulars are exceptional and brilliant for sound-designing and you can forget about time and everything while "flying between modules", but nobody does it. Many great examples of music was written and designed without those much talked-about modulars. But most owners, if not every, seem to be absolutely talentless. And only so-called musicians are responsible for business failure of this instrument. Modulars are extremlely brilliant idea! Implementation is exiting. I am not an owner, but I have read about features and it made me saying "wow"! So why do people still complaining about old modulars have gone? Actually I really would like to try one, I am eager for knowing how it really works. But I know that Clavia still makes fantastic musical instruments for keen musicians. Why? Because of quality, special combination of features. New nordlead is joyfull synthesizer. You can program some very deep synths in order to create unique sound, but on this you should play that uniqueness, this is alive synth, responsive, you should always use morphing features and multitimbrality, and instant morphing buttons to keep up with what you have in mind. You do not program it, you play it, and all changes are made by only your hands, not by machine. You should be talented, of course, to produce something new and desirable to listen, but you can do it due to accessibility of parametres. New nord lead 4 is for people who can think, play and perform. Old nord modular is for people who can think mostly. That is why I like both of these instrument, they are wonderfull, but for very different reasons.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

I based my vote on the NL4 that it is a culmination of what everyone has been wanting in a Nordlead synth to have. Built in effects, polyphony, power, modulation, some ability to produce FM and real sounds in a solid VA.

The G2 and G2X, which are my FAV by the way, had the most modulation power but needed a computer thus making it a hardware/software hybrid with presets and limited
editing on board.

The Wave covers a lot of ground but is too rompler/sampler as Nord synths go.

The 3 is amazing in design but has the rep of sounding too digital.

The 2 and even the 2X, although over priced, is the rawest sound and has a huge cult following. But many have wished for built in effects, a better screen, rotary knobs like the 3, better action, and after touch.

Leaving the 4.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

My Choice: Nord Lead 2(X)
The original Nord Lead !!!! that one rocks and is the original standard well close to my heart .
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah I have owned the 1, 2X, G2X, and the Electro 2. Always been a fan. They are still the best VA synths, V organs, and V electric mechanicals on the market in my mind.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

The Nord 3 has the best synth interface ever designed, IMO. Unfortunately, its sound is almost too polished and hi-fi. It lacks the "edge" that made the Nord 1/2 so great.

Having said that, if you don't approach the Nord 3 as a "virtual analog" but instead as a hybrid FM synth, then it starts to make a lot more sense. You can get some really amazing FM sounds out of this baby and it's far, far easier to program than a DX7, that's for sure.

If I could justify spending the money and had room for more gear, I would also buy a Nord Wave and the new Nord Lead 4. Clavia just makes really well-designed, unique-sounding synths that have great interfaces. Plus they look cool. :-)
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
I based my vote on the NL4 that it is a culmination of what everyone has been wanting in a Nordlead synth to have. Built in effects, polyphony, power, modulation, some ability to produce FM and real sounds in a solid VA.

The G2 and G2X, which are my FAV by the way, had the most modulation power but needed a computer thus making it a hardware/software hybrid with presets and limited
editing on board.

The Wave covers a lot of ground but is too rompler/sampler as Nord synths go.

The 3 is amazing in design but has the rep of sounding too digital.

The 2 and even the 2X, although over priced, is the rawest sound and has a huge cult following. But many have wished for built in effects, a better screen, rotary knobs like the 3, better action, and after touch.

Leaving the 4.
Excellent summary/overview.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Just got my first Nord product last week, it's also my first VA. I LOVE the Lead 4!
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
Can the Nordlead 3 sound like a TX81Z? Just wondering if anyone's compared them.

I need to lose a synth to gain a new one. Was wondering if I would miss my TX81Z if I get the Nord 3 and sell it.

Opinions?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search