The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
These chords! :O
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

These chords! :O

How did he make the chords at 1:44 in his song below? D: They are so nice! :D
Any help on how he done this or event just a hint, there ****ing immense.

Zomboy - Raptor (Music Video) - YouTube
Old 16th October 2013
PG warning on the video, I dislike the fact that they put stuff like this on youtube for anyone to watch.
Old 16th October 2013
Size, immense as you say, is a perception and very contextual. Sometimes, to make something seem more than it really is, you inject it suddenly, and in a contrasting manner. Example: a boring vanilla hat pattern in mono, then automate on the unison/poly switch on my sampler and boom, instant energy. If everything is wide and has delay/reverb, then it is hard to make anything seem particularly wide. Or maybe double the chord tracks and pan each hard left/ right.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Tbh I just suck at drawing chords in my sequencer, And I have been trying everyday for almost a year and still have not got better at it. :/
Old 16th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nicolson View Post
Tbh I just suck at drawing chords in my sequencer, And I have been trying everyday for almost a year and still have not got better at it. :/
What sequencer are you using? Usually there's a chord function included allowing you to stamp out different chords in the roll.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you need to play them on one of those ancient MIDI keyboard things...?

Unfashionable, maybe, but you'd be amazed...

Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
PG warning on the video, I dislike the fact that they put stuff like this on youtube for anyone to watch.
Seriously, what a twisted video. Not funny at all.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ugh I must be old. I find that [music and video] cheesy, disgusting, predictable and not enjoyable at all..

I did like seeing all the knobby synths though..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Seriously, what a twisted video. Not funny at all.
Yeah, it's like everybody is fakkin' Aphex Twin wannabe now.

Formula:

Quiet quiet quiet
Farty brickwall head sawing
Quiet quiet quiet
Farty brickwall head sawing
Quiet quiet quiet
Big Farty brickwall head sawing

Sigh.

And they say art is dead.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
try playing a keyboard like a human instead of drawing music! you will get instant feedback to what you are doing allowing you to develop! Come on folks, this musical typing **** is brand new. why not take advantage of the Body of Human Knowlege
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

To get that big sound, first off sounds like some oscillator detuning going on to get it some depth/movement...then maybe some chorus and delay to taste...also this sound like 2 things being tracked, basically same chords but with a couple slide up notes and/or ocatve'd notes on 2nd pass.

Leave one tracked version in the center , then hard pan(ish) the 2nd track to left and right (maybe 65 - 90% panned either way), compress, adjust to taste
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Okay. I find harmony to be terribly interesting. To keep it easy at first, choose a key, use the internet to find the seven triads in that key. Since you don't sound like much of a keyboard player, just draw in half or whole note triads and start moving them around. Major chords have a capital numeral, minor are lower case. Try not to have too many major or minor in a row, and cadence at the end (V or iv ----> I). There are tons of other techniques, 7th, 9th, 11th chords, inversions, suspended, and augmented chords. I think a good progression is a lot of work and a lot of messing around. Like anything, practice. If you come up with a good one, you can build a whole track around it. A little theory goes a LONG way to making your music sound, serious.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search