The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
1200$ for expanding the synth sound palette: fx or more filters?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

1200$ for expanding the synth sound palette: fx or more filters?

So i got my Omega 8 last week, and it's sitting here with his other analog companions. Now i'm thinking about two ways of expanding from here:

1) Go for expanding the Omega 8 itself by adding an 8 pack of cs-80 filters, along with perhaps a single arp filter and a single 303 filter.

2) Leave it as is and expand the sound by adding hardware fx, be it foogers, strymons or whatever.

Right now all my fx are ITB. I think that has its advantages, mainly for mixing, where i can send several synths to the same fx track, or have multiple instances of whatever fx i like. I also got some crazy stuff, like the sugar bytes Tornado. But as far as insert fx go - i still haven't found a chorus, phaser and flanger i can say i'm happy with (the valhala ubermod is nice but not quite there). Anyway, i was thinking that perhaps a combination of a moog clusterflux along with a strymon timeline - or perhaps all the three big strymon units (timeline, mobius, bigsky) or other combinations can really add. My main concern with the foogers is the lack of stereo input - especially because all my analogs are stereo.

On the other hand, lots of Omega owners keep insisting that the addition of the cs-80 filters is a must have, and really turns this already wonderful & massive synth to something completely different altogether. I'll admit i really am impressed with all the cs-80 filter demos of the omega i heard. The main downside here will be that this change\upgarde will only affect the Omega.

Anyway, upgrading the filters of the omega as an expansion of the sound palette, or going for HW effects combination will both be about 1200$ each. So it's sort of one vs the other.
It's either expanding the filters and keep working with fx ITB - or going for HW effects and keeping the Omega as is with its moog & sem filters.

Opinions are welcome!
Old 16th October 2013
Hi Zahush ; and congrats on your Omega purchase ... did you get rid of the 3003 ? Moog and Sem filter for now ; so may be CS 80 ones can wait a bit ... what about some cheap filters ( Akai mfc 42 ; Electrix filter factory ;some Vermona reverbs ??? / seen u have the perfourmer .... an all in one multi effect like TC ELECTRONIC M 3000 ???? It all depends on the style your producing .... u can sample your stuff ; u own MASCHINE aren t you ???? and use more in the box effects within MASCHINE ... Just some ideas for you ...
Would love to get some Moog pedals ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
Hi Zahush ; and congrats on your Omega purchase ... did you get rid of the 3003 ?
I never had a boomstar 3003. I had a boomstar 5089. I sent it back to Studio Electronics in return for upgrading the Omega from six voices to eight.
I figured an Omega with SE moog filters and a Boomstar 5089 will slightly overlap. I know they are not the same - but on the other hand, i have the Vermona and GRP for monosynth duties, with very snappy envelopes. So that's that for the 5089.

I was also thinking about some kind of 303\x0xbox\TT-303 option instead of more filters or HW effects. since i've been lusting that sound & sequencing for some time now. But for now i'm just routing my d16 Phosycon midi to my hardware synths, and it gives me acid lines (though not the roland sound...).
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

It all depends on how much you want the Roland sound. If you want it very much go with a x0x/TT.

You already have top of the range sources. If it was me in your place I would go for Moogerfoogers. They have had a massive impact on my sound. Use them like there is no tomorrow.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios View Post
It all depends on how much you want the Roland sound. If you want it very much go with a x0x/TT.

You already have top of the range sources. If it was me in your place I would go for Moogerfoogers. They have had a massive impact on my sound. Use them like there is no tomorrow.
Which ones do you use, btw?
Old 16th October 2013
I see TT 303 going for 500 euros ; second hand here in France ... Have one and use it every day .... want to expand with SH 101 ; and MC 202 for an Acid set up ... So for effects TC electronic M 3000 ? not analogue but solid ( reverbs of course but also delays ; pitch shift ; phaser ; flanger ; tremolo ...)

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Which ones do you use, btw?
MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF-108 Cluster Flux, CP-251 CV processor.
Had an MF-107 Freq Box but sent that back.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS View Post
So for effects TC electronic M 3000 ? not analogue but solid ( reverbs of course but also delays ; pitch shift ; phaser ; flanger ; tremolo ...)
Well, if we're talking about digital fx - than i have plenty of plugins that sound good imo (valhalas, soundtoys, wave etc). So if i'll ever get a hardware digital effect - it might as well be something with at least some hands on control. That would perhaps be one (or all) strymon big boxes.
Even though they're digital - they seem to get along quite well with analog synths, and have all the hands on tweakability:

Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd add the filters. The CS80 ones sound great from what I have heard.
I think that is maximising your investment.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I might add that financially speaking - i haven't given the full picture here. The thing is that i do have, objectively speaking, enough money for expanding the filters and adding fx. But i wrote i have about 1200$ because i have another 1000$ reserved for getting the Casio PX-5S. Thing is, i'm a bit frustrated with the used e-mu xboard 61 i got two months ago. I'm used to playing a longer keyboard (from my nord stage days) with a weighted action. Even for synth sounds. On the kontakt side of things - i find myself quite a lot with sounds that have all these key switches - but i ran out of keyboard pretty quick. So i was thinking i'd get the Casio PX-5S since it can be a great controller (i like the action), but still double as a stage piano which i might need like 4-5 times a year.
But if i'll decide that i can get along with the emu for now, and postpone the Casio for next year or something - i could get both filters and fx.
But i keep asking myself what;s more important, and whether getting a keyboard with an action i enjoy playing isn't the most important thing. Perhaps i'm wrong. ....?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search