The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
8 minutes of John Bowen Solaris demos
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

8 minutes of John Bowen Solaris demos

I've posted a few of these in another thread, but I have finally finished an entire soundset for the mighty synth. I still feel like I have a lot to learn even after a few months with it. If anybody owns one this soundset is completely free!

A little extra compression and reverb from valhallaroom has been added.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Nice sounds.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

ah thanks for that
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Good on you! Cheers
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head
Good job! Can't wait to get this synth.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

An "illustrious" synth in my books. Will have a listen to it later. Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great sound design. What a sound ! will try some presets asap. Thanks for sharing.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great demo.
Old 21st October 2013
love it.

especially the ambient/soundscape sounds, and "virus"" type arpeggio plucked sounds, but with extra clarity and smoother high end. the classic sounds with reso sweeps, like rolandish and 303 are least exciting, but i suppose handy for some.

after the last solaris thread with demos, i already kinda suspected it, and now i think Solaris might be the best sounding, best fidelity "digital subtractive" i've ever heard. my wallet of course thinks i'm full of sh*t.. and wont support me in that statement ..
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
my wallet of course thinks i'm full of sh*t.. and wont support me in that statement ..

Old 21st October 2013
Really nice demo man, thanks for sharing.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

We can even donate if wished for this impressive work (when downloading presets), I will definitely do ASAP
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the comments and to all those that donated! Much appreciated.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Maniac

volume 2:

Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

damn. the solaris has a really nice sound..
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

how easy is it do make sounds? do you like it's interface? is it intuitive?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
It is incredibly easy to make great patches and the interface is fantastic. It is a wonderful synth.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Really great stuff! I want one!
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyemerson View Post
volume 2:

Very beautyful sounds, not sure I've ever heard more convincingly 'musical' sounds from a digital synth.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Good work. My favorite sounds is the space flute coming at 5:10.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Starting to realize that Solaris is the most musical and awesome synth going right now.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

This synth should be mass produced, it's cumbersome to get one!
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've been finding the interface very good to work with. The 6 screens make for editing the ridiculous amount of parameters quick and easy. The modular like system within it allows for some really complex stuff but if you are after a simple sound those are easy to get too as well.

As far as pad sounds go I don't think you will find a better synth than the Solaris.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Any comparisons to the Modulus 002?

And is the Solaris firmware up to snuff now? Last review I read it seemed to still have a lot of bugs and missing features.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

I would love to try a Modulus 002 but it might be a while before that happens. A new update is being worked on but has not landed yet - no ETA yet. So far the bugs I have encountered have been fairly minor and not often so it hasn't been too much of an issue.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been finding the interface very good to work with. The 6 screens make for editing the ridiculous amount of parameters quick and easy. The modular like system within it allows for some really complex stuff but if you are after a simple sound those are easy to get too as well.

As far as pad sounds go I don't think you will find a better synth than the Solaris.
hi, thanks for the reply. Is the architecture of the synth layedout for you? I didn't quite understand this reading the specs because they talk about it being very modular.

So, for instance if you start an init patch, is the layout and signal flow that of a classic substractive synth? Osc - Filter - ADSR - AMP ?
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
hi, thanks for the reply. Is the architecture of the synth layedout for you? I didn't quite understand this reading the specs because they talk about it being very modular.

So, for instance if you start an init patch, is the layout and signal flow that of a classic substractive synth? Osc - Filter - ADSR - AMP ?

Each section has a specific function that follows the signal flow of a traditional subtractive style synthesizer and the INIT patch has everything connected in a straightforward way (which you can change later to suit your needs)

For creating a patch for example I would start with the top left screen which is the oscillator section. I can choose 4 different oscillators here (and rotors and vectors which mixes and morphs together oscillators). Then I would move onto the mixer section (middle screen) which allows me to mix the desired oscillators together. Each mixer slot has up to 4 sources (these can be oscillators, noise, rotors, and you can get some organic feedback distortion by mixing back either a VCA or mixer back into the mixer.

For example you could have in mixer 1:
INPUT 1: OSC 1 100%
INPUT 2 OSC 2 70%
INPUT 3 ROTOR 1: 8-%
INPUT 4 VCA 1 10%

There are 4 mixers so as you can imagine this allows for some very fat and complex sounds.

From there in the INIT patch, mixer 1 is sent to filter 1, mixer 2 to filter 2. mixer 3 to filter 3, and mixer 4 to filter 4. Again these can be changed but it is nice to have it all preset for quick results. All the filters are then sent to the VCA amp (6) for the volume envelope.

The lower left screen you can select up to 5 LFO's and control their shape / rate etc. To do modulation however you do it at the the destination - for example for filter 1 cutoff I would select filter 1 on the top right screen > hit "MOD" and then set say LFO 1 to control Filter 1 cutoff.

Everything in the INIT patch is "pre-wired" so you get sound and results right away like you would with a regular subtractive synth. However if you prefer to send filter 2 to the insert fx and then to VCA 2 instead of VCA 6 that is usually just a few knob tweaks and a few seconds away to configure.

It is good to tweak the INIT patch to your liking (for example I like to aftertouch controlling vibrato and the joystick controlling the filter so I have set that up in the INIT patch).

Let me know if you have any more questions
Old 21st January 2015
Quote:
Each section has a specific function that follows the signal flow of a traditional subtractive style synthesizer and the INIT patch has everything connected in a straightforward way (which you can change later to suit your needs)

For creating a patch for example I would start with the top left screen which is the oscillator section. I can choose 4 different oscillators here (and rotors and vectors which mixes and morphs together oscillators). Then I would move onto the mixer section (middle screen) which allows me to mix the desired oscillators together. Each mixer slot has up to 4 sources (these can be oscillators, noise, rotors, and you can get some organic feedback distortion by mixing back either a VCA or mixer back into the mixer.

For example you could have in mixer 1:
INPUT 1: OSC 1 100%
INPUT 2 OSC 2 70%
INPUT 3 ROTOR 1: 8-%
INPUT 4 VCA 1 10%

There are 4 mixers so as you can imagine this allows for some very fat and complex sounds.

From there in the INIT patch, mixer 1 is sent to filter 1, mixer 2 to filter 2. mixer 3 to filter 3, and mixer 4 to filter 4. Again these can be changed but it is nice to have it all preset for quick results. All the filters are then sent to the VCA amp (6) for the volume envelope.

The lower left screen you can select up to 5 LFO's and control their shape / rate etc. To do modulation however you do it at the the destination - for example for filter 1 cutoff I would select filter 1 on the top right screen > hit "MOD" and then set say LFO 1 to control Filter 1 cutoff.

Everything in the INIT patch is "pre-wired" so you get sound and results right away like you would with a regular subtractive synth. However if you prefer to send filter 2 to the insert fx and then to VCA 2 instead of VCA 6 that is usually just a few knob tweaks and a few seconds away to configure.

It is good to tweak the INIT patch to your liking (for example I like to aftertouch controlling vibrato and the joystick controlling the filter so I have set that up in the INIT patch).

Let me know if you have any more questions
Thank you so much for your informative post. I am seriously considering getting the Solaris, and this has been extremely helpful.
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
Thank you so much for your informative post. I am seriously considering getting the Solaris, and this has been extremely helpful.
You won't be disappointed when you do!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search