The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sampling from Vinyl vs. Wav files
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Sampling from Vinyl vs. Wav files

I've been messing around with making samples from wav files and mp3's. Been having trouble getting kind of sound quality that I'd like and I've been thinking of starting to sample from vinyl. Has anyone found that there is a big difference in sound quality? Anybody out there sampling records at 192??

Any other suggestions for getting excellent sound quality when sampling?

Thanks for your suggestions!

-Nate
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

With sampling from vinyl the phono preamp may add its own character as well. Furthermore, vinyl doesn't have the ALL SLIDERS TO THE RIGHT kind of mastering that .wav files may have (since those are extracted from CD).

Furthermore, what you use to sample with also plays a role - running the turntable hot into the inputs of a vintage Akai's going to add nice artifacts, clipping the inputs of an audio interface - not so much.

Sampling at higher rates won't necessarily give you the kind of quality you're looking for - as said, those MPCs and S-series didn't even go beyond 44k.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply.

So, let's say I record at 192 into my rosetta at 192. If I then start manipulating the sample, slowing it down for instance, it won't sound better because there is more information?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

When you slow down a sample, it might be that HF information that was previously inaudible becomes audible; same with the lower frequencies muddying things up - something they didn't do at their original pitch. This is something to consider when you want to use such a sample in combination with other instruments that are already mixed/separated/EQ'd and such.

The main advantage of vinyl is that the slowing down can be done in analog fashion - e.g. no resampling has to occur if you can simply reduce the RPM. Some samplers use a variable sample-rate when pitching down samples (Akai S950) which also introduces no artifacts when slowing down. Virtually all modern (software) samplers resample on the fly when pitching down.

192 gives you more information but there have been entire books written on why a certain sampling rate is good enough and higher is sometimes worse.
Old 23rd December 2013
Here for the gear

the simplest answer

hello mate

i take samples from everywhere.. youtube.. found sounds..all kinds of places..sometimes i love bad quality because it is a challenge and keeps your skill levels up

it isnt so much a question of what format to record 'from'.. its about the finishing off of the received signal...
simply make sure that get a good loud un-clipped signal.. then use something like the products below..

it is all about the final polishing technique.. (or the final scratchiness if this is desired)

MeldaProduction, professional audio processing software

tom
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Addict

this is something ive been wondering about as well. i do sample both vinyl and wav files into my asr10 (drums and everything) and mpc60 (mostly just drums) and notice the obvious differences, but im not really sure how to think about it on a theory level. i'm sampling very high production materials, especially from wav (flac actually). Vintage prince and barry white, etc and modern dance tracks for those kicks, kerri chandler is my new favorite. When using vinyl i had a technics 1200 and pretty cheap preamp, and went through a random assortment of old records - it definitely had a more lo-fi quality with audible noise and clicks here and there and i'd filter those to some extent. People speak of the 3d quality of vinyl has and I've noticed that carries over to the samples as well. They sort of pop out of the speaker in a special way, but my digital samples also pop once theyve been put into the mpc;] Anyhow thats my story as of right now, would love to hear about others experience

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search