The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI Note On messages getting added?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

MIDI Note On messages getting added?

I have an old Roland D5. I've plugged it into a Macbook Pro using a Hosa Tracklink USB to MIDI interface (like the M-Audio "egg" ones).

I have Cubase LE and it's set to "thru" mode when record enabled. So, with Local Off, you get what goes out the out, into Cubase, out of Cubase, into the in, and plays the note. If you put Local On on the D5, you get the "doubled note" effect. No worries, that's all as it should be.

But the weird thing is, in either mode, I'm getting an additional Note On message when I LIFT the key.

It doesn't happen with single notes. Only simultanous notes. If I play a 2 note dyad, it will "re-strike" one of the two notes when I lift them both. If I play a 3 note chord, it will re-strike two of them. Which notes get re-struck seems to be totally random.

If I record, I can see in the key editor (piano roll style) that it's recording the additional notes - so it seems like the keyboard must be generating them (or the interface?)

I can set the Filter in Cubase to filter out note on messages and keep them from passing "thru". Then I can set the local on on the D5 and play it. It will still get other types of messages from the software, such as program change messages, just not notes (but it will play back recorded notes because they're sent messages, not "thru" messages).

Problem is, I'd like to use it "normal" because I have another sound module - and it does the same thing.

The interface is showing a flickering "in" (in from the keyboard) LED - regular pulsating pattern. Is the D5 generating something? It doesn't show any MIDI in in Cubase so if it is, it must not be generating a message CUbase can understand. But could it be screwing up the note ons?

If I record when this problem is happening, it will show a chord stack as you'd expect, but then on the lift it will add two of the same notes of the chord immediately behind. Once this happens, those notes have no note off so if it's a sustained sound, it keeps on.

It's almost as if Cubase is interpreting the Note Off as an additional Note on, or the keyboard or interface is generating an additional Note on simultaneously with the note off. I just thought - I should probably look at an event list and see what's going on.

At any rate, any help?

Steve
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

MIDI loop
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

The MIDI spec allows for a note-on message with zero velocity to be used as a note off, but some older Roland devices do not interpret this correctly. If they see a zero velocity note on message, they will incorrectly interpret it as a note on and not a note off. Your sequencer may have an option to force note off messages.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search