The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Studiologic Sledge
Old 16th October 2013
Studiologic Sledge

Not seen anything on the board about this. Better than the blofeld? Would rather have a OB12? Looks nice and knobby but the sonic state review made it seem a bit hot and miss.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I'd rather get an original Waldorf product, rather than something powered by a Waldorf engine; like a Q/MicroQ.

Having those ports on the side would be annoying too in my opinion.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Meh...
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Scaled down Waldorf. Actually kinda nice because of the knob per function factor... but a little pricey for what you get. Has a Fatar keybed which has a pretty decent feel. If I could get one for the right price I would consider it but $1500 ? You could buy a Blo Keys for around $800 new and even though it does not have as many knobs it has more Synth power.
Old 16th October 2013
I got one recommended by a local synth nerd when I was on the lookout for a new synth a couple of months back. He seemed to love his, but from the research I did, it wasn't very impressive. I ended up getting the Blofeld Keyboard, and I'm really happy with it. Excellent sound, and the user interface is great, in my opinion. Get a Blo!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

I heard that Jordan Rudess plays it on the new Dream Theater album!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Against all odds, this is totally underrated.
It's great.

Have any of the above actually played on it?
Whenever I am in my synth store and compare synths, I also play around with this one and always feel a big joy doing it. Shame it probably doesn't sell ****loads, which it should.
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Against all odds, this is totally underrated.
It's great.

Have any of the above actually played on it?
Whenever I am in my synth store and compare synths, I also play around with this one and always feel a big joy doing it. Shame it probably doesn't sell ****loads, which it should.
It sounds nice in the demo's but stupid stuff like no lfo sync would probably annoy me.

Sent from my HTL22
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ this didn't annoy a lot of people about the previous NordLeads.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

The biggest thing about this synth, is the midi out per knob. It sounds decent enough, but it would be amazing to sync that **** up into the computer, and use vsts, or whatever.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

It feels so cheap, the plastic shell looks ghastly in real life. Too ugly for my studio

But it sounds like a synth, I couldn't judge if it sounded special or not, when I tried it.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Sooo, I am actually considering buying the Sledge now, as I desparately search for an available, affordable, polyphonic synth with a classic knobby interface, and that I like.
However now it's not exposed anymore in my synth store, so I can't test it once more before purchasing, and most youtube videos of it sound horrible.
Is there someone who owns it and who could show me some dark or warm Roland-style pads etc.? I heard enough demos with bright sounds.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Addict
I've manged to get a nice phased vox humana type patch out of mine.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

The price is pure comedy. The modulation is limited and that's putting it kindly.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

I did play Sledge few day ago at the store. Really wanted to get know it better.

Don't know what to say, really. It isn't a bad synth, by any means, but if you're used to real analog sound, that's not it.

For 200 more, there's Nord Lead 2x, if you're looking for new synth with keys. Not to mention you could get Juno or Polysix with that money +/-, with some luck.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Addict
Like any synth its not perfect. You ether like it or you dont, if you dont't then walk away..You should look at what a synth CAN do rather then what it can't.
Old 29th January 2014
I've used one briefly.. Regarding sound, it does sound really nice, and the interface is nice but It does unfortunately feel quite cheap and toyish. I was able to make a very interesting and involving pad sound in a few moments and I was really pleasantly surprised but it's sound.

There is no chance I'd spend this kind of money on it myself though but I can understand the appeal. If I wanted a synth with one knob per function or something close to it I'd get the Prophet 08 or one of the Nord Leads. I liked NL4 a lot. Unfortunately you forgo the wavetables with those two options.

It's not a bad synth at all, just too expensive considering it's awful aesthetic, limited options and low quality build.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Good keys, good sound, good ease of use. It's a pleasure.
Looks horrible, built like crap and studiologic's customer service is an effing joke.

I wish waldorf was doing their own SLedge. It would be the Wedge haha
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

Currently it is very aggressively priced and Thomann, german music store, and it has been nicely priced here in Europe before. At the moment it sits at 799 euros (1090 USD), only a hundred more than Blokey. It certainly isn't a synthesis powerhouse like Blofeld or Virus, but I think it has good base sound and packs enough power to stand on it's own. I kind of like the simple, basic synthesis approach they have: it doesn't have dozen of envelopes, 15 LFO's, 30 different filter types, 100 slot modulation matrix and 50 pages of different menus, but they have good basic building blocks and great interface to match with that. I was seriously looking for one, then the price was 990 eur (1352 USD), and I felt it was worth the money, but I decided to book a holiday to Alps instead. Leaving in less than a month and no regrets at the moment. Now as I noticed the price has dropped, I started to drool after one again, but Analog Keys takes it this time. For me it would be great in studio work as master controller: pretty basic but nice sounding synth with immediate controls, and all those controls send midi so I could use them to control VSTi's which would produce the more complex sounds Sledge couldn't. I have to say that the price is very steep at the US, but this is one of the rare occasions I'm price-wise happy to live at europe.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think if the price wouldn't be at 799 € here (I'm from Germany), I wouldn't consider it.
I don't mind it being rather limited, hey - it's more flexible than a Juno 60, isn't it?
I would love to get a Juno 60, but I never happen to find one when I have the money.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search