The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Classic techno/house pad sound
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Classic techno/house pad sound

Hello all!

I'm trying to investigate a really well known sound used in countless old techno & house tracks. Although it's been used in countless tracks, annoyingly I can only think of one example at the moment:

Winc - Thoughts Of A Tranced Love (Original Mix) - YouTube

The pad sound from about 5:07. The portamento makes me think that they just used to sample string chords and play them on the keyboard to get that effect. But sampled from what? Was it a preset on a classic synth of the time?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Correct.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

?

Have I just answered my own question?

Old 15th October 2013
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Guru

I don't think it's from a famous synth per se - the sound seems pretty interchangeable, a simple square pad. Could be that it's somewhere in a "vintage" sample library, but which one - hard to say unless you have it.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks.

As for the Darius Syrosiosisson one, I knew I recognised those pads. There's an old jungle track by Leviticus called 'The Burial'.

Leviticus Burial - YouTube

What do you reckon, has he sampled this, or just used the same preset? If so which one I wonder...
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambourgie View Post
Thanks.

As for the Darius Syrosiosisson one, I knew I recognised those pads. There's an old jungle track by Leviticus called 'The Burial'.

Leviticus Burial - YouTube

What do you reckon, has he sampled this, or just used the same preset? If so which one I wonder...
well darius was manager or owner cant remember off the top of my head, of a record shop for well over a decade and hes been known to sample, so theres a good chance that the pads were sampled.. but then again they wouldnt be too difficult to recreate either.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
You have good ears. I didn't notice the portamento at first. I think at least Roland Juno 106 has polyphonic portamento and it would make sense soundwise too.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Alpha Juno chord memory.
Old 16th October 2013
Wildfunk
Those pads were in every second D&B track back in the days Most of them where samples, but it's not hard to recreate it. Just try a chord like M7Add13 (or something similar) with simple saws and unison/chorus:
Attached Files

M7Add13.mp3 (171.5 KB, 583 views)

Old 16th October 2013
It's usually the general midi "soundtrack" preset from whatever rompler was handy at the time. I think the most famous one is from the roland D50 maybe?

From wikipedia:

The presets of the D-50, authored by Eric Persing and Adrian Scott, were well received by the artists' community, and most of them can be heard on numerous commercial albums of the late 1980s. The D-50's factory presets have enjoyed a long legacy, as patches like "Digital Native Dance," "Fantasia," "Glass Voices," and "Living Calliope" are so common they border on cliche. Some other D-50 presets live on in every machine that conforms to the General MIDI specification, including "Soundtrack" and "Atmosphere".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search