The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
More power in the vocals..
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

More power in the vocals..

Client of mine asked me to add more power to the vocals after hearing a first take of the mix. Normally I would add s**t load of distortion and layer up with some more effects. This time the song needs to stay soft and the vocal is being performed really softly as well.. How would you fix it
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I take that as a task for myself to see if I'm right or wrong in the way I'd do it.
Don't take this as a suggestion, as I'm only learning myself.

I'd play around a bit with NI Transient Master to give a bit more attack to the vocals.
Then I'd double the vocal track and do some slight changes to the duplicated track (soft Attack, panning, some EQing, lower volume), and put it further backwards in the mix (more reverb).
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe very light distortion on the peaks, but try using the vocal as a sidechain for compressing the other tracks and give it a low-ish threshold. Or use an envelope follower to alter the tracks in some other way, eg by ducking reverb/delay...IOW let the vocal seem to push other stuff out of the way.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

You really need to provide more information and/or a rough mix because the problem depends completely on subjective terms like "power" and "soft".

What does "more power" mean to the client and/or to you? Vocals louder in the mix? Double or triple tracking? A performance that's more intense or in a different style? Do you have any references you can use for what the client wants it to sound like?

Similarly, what do you mean by "soft" for the song? That it can't have distorted elements? That the overall loudness needs to be low? That it's supposed to have a delicate/ethereal atmosphere with only a few musical elements?

Finally, by "performed really softly" do you literally mean that the level of the recorded vocal is low, or that it's performed in a way you consider "soft"? Is vocal retracking an option?
Old 15th October 2013
Deleted b598644
vocals are damn difficult to get right...

i had a condenser microphone but a dynamic one sounded better in the mix even though it was a lesser frequencyresponse..
i can recommende a sennheiser MD421, the vocals have more presence than a condenser
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search