The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith Mopho SE
Old 15th October 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
cryophonik's Avatar
 

Dave Smith Mopho SE

Dave Smith Instruments :: Mopho SE Monophonic Analog Synthesizer.



Not sure I see the need for this model in the product line, considering the Mopho Keys and x4, but there you have it.
Old 15th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
raffor's Avatar
 

They upgraded all the Mopho Keyboards with Mophox4 PCBs. Now they use the single voice PCBs for their Mophox4 housing.

Great move to get rid of scrap!!!
Old 15th October 2013
  #3
Gear Addict
 

I wish Yamaha were this prolific with their FS1r variants.
Old 15th October 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
looks awesome. price?
Old 15th October 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

I like the looks of it better than the Mopho keyboard. Plus it has an extra octave.

I'm sure the R&D cost was next to nothing as well... just toss a single-voice Mopho board into a MophoX4 shell.
Old 15th October 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
i could also see a few minifoogers fitting quite nicely on the upper right hand corner
Old 15th October 2013
  #7
Old 15th October 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
thanks!
Old 15th October 2013
  #9
VST
Lives for gear
 
VST's Avatar
DSI should have made this before the other Mopho's.
Old 15th October 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
seems odd to pay $950 for this when for $1299 you can get the 4 voice version
Old 15th October 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

DSI pricing baffles me - in the UK, there's about £150-200 difference between the X4 and Prophet '08. This had better be nicely wedged between the Mopho key and X4 else there's just no point IMO
Old 15th October 2013
  #12
at the risk of sounding pedantic - how does this produce 'unison basses'?

Quote:
Use it to create huge unison basses, creamy leads, and maniacal sequences.
Old 15th October 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Polarelch's Avatar
 

Meh. I only buy yellow Mophos.
Old 15th October 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
seems odd to pay $950 for this when for $1299 you can get the 4 voice version
It's not so odd IMO. It seems that the voice board is quite cheap the way DSI makes them. So, for a product that only has 3 more voice boards inside and no other basic difference, it looks normal. $100 per voice looks like a regular price.
Old 15th October 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
It's not so odd IMO. It seems that the voice board is quite cheap the way DSI makes them. So, for a product that only has 3 more voice boards inside and no other basic difference, it looks normal. $100 per voice looks like a regular price.
agreed, but if you can afford to drop $950 on the one voice version why would you not spend a little more on the 4 voice version?
Old 15th October 2013
  #16
It looks great! That yellow MophoKeys is just hideous. I don't want to know what or who they were marketing to when they came up with that idea. With the extra keys this looks like something very performance oriented.

I agree, I can't imagine not springing the extra few hundred to get the Mopho x4.

Looks similar to the Mono Evolver Keys, but with way less knobs. I just picked up an MEK last night. Seeing this I'm still glad I did. Though I hear the Mopho has slightly more oomph than the Evolver, which I'm sure will be plenty for my taste.

The list of affordable mono synths just keeps getting longer. Better watch out, or we won't be able to give these things away in a few years.
Old 15th October 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
it's a big creep (if you're buying new)

classic mopho is 850...why not spend 100 more and get the SE?

SE is 950...why not spend 350 more and get the x4 ?

etc etc.

it comes down to personal preference and needs. some people will like the mopho's smaller form factor for small tables / touring, while others might not care about having a bigger case and really need the bigger keyboard. $100 is a really nice gap between them honestly, and once these units start going used it'll be a lot harder to choose between a ~$500 used classic mopho or this newer one which will probably hang around 650-700.

plenty of reasons why the SE makes sense, i think it's cool to give customers options
Old 15th October 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
It looks great! That yellow MophoKeys is just hideous. I don't want to know what or who they were marketing to when they came up with that idea. With the extra keys this looks like something very performance oriented.

I agree, I can't imagine not springing the extra few hundred to get the Mopho x4.

Looks similar to the Mono Evolver Keys, but with way less knobs. I just picked up an MEK last night. Seeing this I'm still glad I did. Though I hear the Mopho has slightly more oomph than the Evolver, which I'm sure will be plenty for my taste.

The list of affordable mono synths just keeps getting longer. Better watch out, or we won't be able to give these things away in a few years.
I actually think the Yellow is quite cool and highlights the Mopho's personality better than the current color scheme. I much prefer the yellow, this one looks too much like a Virus, not that the Virus looks bad but I think DSI synths look better... (I'm a pretty normal human being BTW )
Old 15th October 2013
  #19
I like the P8 style knobs, better than the plastic ones on my mopho kb
Old 15th October 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
I actually think the Yellow is quite cool and highlights the Mopho's personality better than the current color scheme.
I agree. I liked the yellow color, but I didn't like the logo...


Their logos still look out of place... I mean, the main brand logo is too close to the wheel names and the model logo takes too much horizontal space, without filling any of the vertical space. I would do it like this:

Old 15th October 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
cryophonik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
I agree. I liked the yellow color, but I didn't like the logo...


Their logos still look out of place... [/IMG]
Yup, totally agree. The Evolver logo is like a giant wart on one of the best looking synths ever made (IMO, of course). And, I think I do prefer the yellow Mopho to the SE, but both look nice and, ultimately, neither the logo nor the color have any bearing on my synth buying decisions.
Old 15th October 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
it's a big creep (if you're buying new)

classic mopho is 850...why not spend 100 more and get the SE?

SE is 950...why not spend 350 more and get the x4 ?

etc etc.
...and this being Gearslutz, now I'm looking at current prices on Prophet 08 PE keyboards.
Old 15th October 2013
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
I actually think the Yellow is quite cool and highlights the Mopho's personality better than the current color scheme. I much prefer the yellow, this one looks too much like a Virus, not that the Virus looks bad but I think DSI synths look better... (I'm a pretty normal human being BTW )
You 're right, it does look just like a TI2 Keyboard.

I guess I prefer this sleek look to the flashy color. Different strokes.....

Btw, normal is exactly what I think when I see your a avatar ;-)
Old 15th October 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
I agree. I liked the yellow color, but I didn't like the logo...


Their logos still look out of place... I mean, the main brand logo is too close to the wheel names and the model logo takes too much horizontal space, without filling any of the vertical space. I would do it like this:

Patch left blank on purpose so you can comfortably stand your Tetra or Mopho desktop on the blank spot. Or, as Dave does in the P12 vid, balance a bottle of bourbon in the blank space
Old 15th October 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Btw, normal is exactly what I think when I see your a avatar ;-)
Old 15th October 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
Patch left blank on purpose so you can comfortably stand your Tetra or Mopho desktop on the blank spot. Or, as Dave does in the P12 vid, balance a bottle of bourbon in the blank space
It's nice to see that there is free space to put there a module (or a bourbon!), but I don't think that they did it on purpose. The control panel is almost the same with that on Mopho KB, so, that means they have a similar control board underneath it that takes similar space inside the chassis. So, that free space exists because of that and because it has more keys...
Old 15th October 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
It's nice to see that there is free space to put there a module (or a bourbon!), but I don't think that they did it on purpose. The control panel is almost the same with that on Mopho KB, so, that means they have a similar control board underneath it that takes similar space inside the chassis. So, that free space exist because of that and because it has more keys...
I know - I'm just considering that blank space a blessing for balancing a Tetra on top of a bottle of JD
Old 15th October 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
at the risk of sounding pedantic - how does this produce 'unison basses'?
I have the same question...
Old 15th October 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 

So three different Mopho's and still no sign of a new mono Evolver key - c'mon Dave & Co.
Gimme access to buy a MEK or put the user tables in the Tempest - no more Mopho distractions please!
Old 15th October 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
it's a big creep (if you're buying new)

classic mopho is 850...why not spend 100 more and get the SE?

SE is 950...why not spend 350 more and get the x4 ?

etc etc.
So just buy a Prophet 12 & be done with it...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump