The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith Mopho SE
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm all for leaving the cocaine in the soda.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Coca tea is great. If you're going to rot my teeth and give me diabetes, at least cure my altitude sickness while you are at it.
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

i have a mopho se and always feel like i neglect diving into it. so tonight quickly i set out to make a self-generating patch where there is no oscillator in the mix. lfo's interact to control the filter, resonance, each other's speed, and vca level. goes through a valhalla reverb a bit. no keys were pressed or knobs were moved in the making of this, i just let it record.

i know a lot of people discard the mopho/08/12 filter sound, but i think it has a interesting / nice sounding self-oscillation, in 4 pole mode.

if anyone is interested in the patch i'll upload it if i can
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
I've owned two Evolvers, a Tempest, a P08, and have spent a lot of time with most of the rest at stores trying to find a way to love them.

But I don't. Because they are incredibly boring sounding synths to me. Yes, they have have billion modulation options, and yes they don't sound *bad*, but they don't sound great either, and that is the point of dealing with big analog hardware... to sound great. They inspire me about as much as a VST does... tons of options, but just a pedestrian sameyness to the sound, and this spans across their entire product lineup thanks to the fact that they have used basically the same architecture on everything they have made to date, plus or minus a feature here and there, and that is boring to me. I want a big dirtbag ass VCO, stupidly fast analog envelopes, I want as much discrete stuff as they can stuff in there, I want 15 key presses of c4 to give me 15 slightly different, awesome sounds.

Instead I get polite mopho scented farts.

I can understand how people like them, if you want clean, present, cutting sounds they are great. But imo so are digital synths.

The rest of my studio is crusty ass old Roland, Moog, ARP etc... and DSI stuff has just never been able to hang. Not to mention my MEKs pots all failed and had to be replaced (which they did for free out of warranty and I was very impressed with) and the Tempest was basically unusable a year after release... I'm just kind of grossed out with their products on every level.

I'm happy they exist, the people that work there are no doubt cool as hell, Dave cracks me up with his demos that always seem to include Booze, and old Sequential stuff is some of my favorite gear ever, I just don't get on with the new stuff at all, and really want to see something utterly new from them. The P12 is cool, but it's digital. Give me a GOOD vco polysynth not based on that anemic ass chip they stick into everything god damn it, or even just a gnarly monosynth. Arturia made a hell of a character machine on their first attempt... I know DSI can do it too...

So. Anyway. Yes, I have owned their synths before
Well, I got the Mopho SE and it`s not meatest Osc out there of course however still musical, but thats me! Here I tried to make it sound less clean and more vintage.

Last edited by Syntza; 18th December 2015 at 10:53 PM..
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear
Here am also using the internal sequencer. Demo by Syntza. Instrument used: Dave Smith Instruments Mopho SE. EFX used: Yamaha SPX-990 and Roland SRV-2000.

Last edited by Syntza; 23rd December 2015 at 08:27 PM..
Old 9th February 2016
SOR
Gear Head

My midi controller is acting up and I need an new one. I was about to buy a Minitaur but thought the extra money I would spend on another midi controller plus the minitaur would get me the DSI Mopho SE. So stupid question but just want to be 100% sure about it! As I don't need knobs and faders on the midi controller will I be able to play my other sofsynths in Logic X using the Mopho SE?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search