The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith Mopho SE
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

£699 isn't bad. I like the look of it, but still more interested in the Minibrute. Quite fancy a used Mopho desktop though, no knobs but super cheap.

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm positive this is just an excuse to move some inventory, not a longstanding product line addition.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Oh well, these kind of things are a win--win for the consumer.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

RIP Dave Smith.

DSI synths are looking sexier than ever in appearance yet they are overpriced or sound terrible.

Last good thing was the X4.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
DSI synths are looking sexier than ever in appearance yet they are overpriced or sound terrible.

Last good thing was the Prophet VS. Their new chips are the fundation for all new synths and I don't like their sound.
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted User
As for someone who currently owns and older SCI synth and 3 newer DSI synths I have to say. Dave Smith will always sound like Dave Smith.

His synths all have a edgy character since the 80's. You can love or hate. I personally love Dave's stuff.

I WILL SAY. Having FOUR different Mopho's doesn't make sense while it does at the same time.

You can get:
the module $400
the yellow $800
the SE $950
or the X4 $1300

In my opinion the yellow needs to drop to around $600, I love mine, but you just gotta fill that place in the market when you have Arturia, Novation, Korg, etc all with something @ around $500 WITH keyboards

You can Poly Chain which is awesome, though, I'd like to see DSI make a polychain input on their synths, having to use an external mixer blows.

I like the new knobs I have to say, SE looks good, sexy most definitely.
Old 20th October 2013
that looks great! I am in the market for a mopho key, I'd spend the extra $100 for the larger one. I want a good keyboard as a midi controller right in front of my monitors. The larger keyboard is better for me.

I test drove the X4, and really didn't like that I couldn't pay more than 4 notes. I would prefer a P08 if I could afford a poly.

The SE has a couple of pluses, the longer keyboard, the soft knobs, and the audio input.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
As for someone who currently owns and older SCI synth and 3 newer DSI synths I have to say. Dave Smith will always sound like Dave Smith.

His synths all have a edgy character since the 80's. You can love or hate. I personally love Dave's stuff.

I WILL SAY. Having FOUR different Mopho's doesn't make sense while it does at the same time.

You can get:
the module $400
the yellow $800
the SE $950
or the X4 $1300

In my opinion the yellow needs to drop to around $600, I love mine, but you just gotta fill that place in the market when you have Arturia, Novation, Korg, etc all with something @ around $500 WITH keyboards

You can Poly Chain which is awesome, though, I'd like to see DSI make a polychain input on their synths, having to use an external mixer blows.

I like the new knobs I have to say, SE looks good, sexy most definitely.

I think it makes sense if you're a stage performer in the market for the mokey but are willing to spend a little extra to give yourself more keys to play with without having to hit the transpose button all the time.
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
I think it makes sense if you're a stage performer in the market for the mokey but are willing to spend a little extra to give yourself more keys to play with without having to hit the transpose button all the time.
SO TRUE,

I forgot I literally have a few songs we perform that I can't actually play them exactly as they are on the record because I don't have enough octaves. Totally right on.
Old 21st October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
DSI synths sound terrible
and nobody wants them.

This is why there are FIVE threads on DSI products running at the same time right at this moment right on this forum: because "they sound bad".
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

This and the P12 seem to be ushering in a new phase in DSI aesthetics, very nice
Old 21st October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
and nobody wants them.

This is why there are FIVE threads on DSI products running at the same time right at this moment right on this forum: because "they sound bad".
I stand corrected. Make that "six threads", one about the Tempest just started.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
RIP Dave Smith.

Weak sauce, man.
So, the fact that DSI OWNS the analog poly market, they are no good?
So Radiohead, Tortoise, and countless other bands use bad synths even though the Evolver and P08 is all over Radioheads albums and the MoKey is Tortoises goto sound for bass among others?
Just because YOU don't like the sound doesn't mean it sucks!
While we are on the subject of over priced, why has Moog gone to a more affordable paradigm to save the company?? $3 grand + for a synth that can't play chords? Huh!?
C'mon stop trolling, bro.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

More of the same

Hey guys,

I have a dsi tetra myself and don't by any means mean to be a troll but wanna share my thoughts.

I have bought tetra a few months back and really liked the sound, but to make your own sounds it's really difficult, I had to buy the vsti plugin and even then I find It hard to fit into my work flow.

My take is that David smith is just looking for cashing the most he can with not much regard about the unfinished products.

There is still a lot of fundamental bugs in tetra, like the lfo's do not sync properly and the so much advertising multi-timbal mode does not work, I mean you should be able to use each voice and edit it individually and after years of them selling them they still haven't update it.

Some dude who develops the software for tetra said that tetra was intended to be used as an expander for mopho or prophet 8, I say that's a joke..

I rather have mono synth that I can use and edit, iam just saying, it looks like you get a lot for the money but at the end it's a big waist of time and frustration.

Yeah, iam not a fan of Dave smith and I know and I will sell tetra but this monkey business he's doing is not fair for anyone to get into.

Best wishes my friends
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccessmusic View Post
Hey guys,

I have a dsi tetra myself and don't by any means mean to be a troll but wanna share my thoughts.

I have bought tetra a few months back and really liked the sound, but to make your own sounds it's really difficult, I had to buy the vsti plugin and even then I find It hard to fit into my work flow.

My take is that David smith is just looking for cashing the most he can with not much regard about the unfinished products.

There is still a lot of fundamental bugs in tetra, like the lfo's do not sync properly and the so much advertising multi-timbal mode does not work, I mean you should be able to use each voice and edit it individually and after years of them selling them they still haven't update it.

Some dude who develops the software for tetra said that tetra was intended to be used as an expander for mopho or prophet 8, I say that's a joke..

I rather have mono synth that I can use and edit, iam just saying, it looks like you get a lot for the money but at the end it's a big waist of time and frustration.

Yeah, iam not a fan of Dave smith and I know and I will sell tetra but this monkey business he's doing is not fair for anyone to get into.

Best wishes my friends

I agree - the Tetra isn't a very inspiring box to use on it's own. If the editor had a bit more love and attention paid to it and was actually properly owned by DSI, rather than fobbed off to a third party developer, it wouldn't be so bad. Such a shame.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
It's not a matter of ...
Dang, in my mind I simply read it like sync-basses, doh, oh well..

Still, you can't fault my grammar, haha.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is still a lot of fundamental bugs in tetra, like the lfo's do not sync properly and the so much advertising multi-timbal mode does not work
Multitimbral mode does not work period, or not as expected, or what...?
Old 22nd October 2013
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkey Donkey View Post
I agree - the Tetra isn't a very inspiring box to use on it's own. If the editor had a bit more love and attention paid to it and was actually properly owned by DSI, rather than fobbed off to a third party developer, it wouldn't be so bad. Such a shame.
They should outsource Moog for software development . The new Sub Phatty Editor is pretty spiffy now that Moog is no longer dependent upon SoundTower.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Multitimbral mode does not work period, or not as expected, or what...?

Well as far as I know Multitimbral is when you can play and load different presets into separated channels and control them individually. With tetra we were suppose to do that to 4 independent voices, so it does not work period!!

You can get to control 3 independent voices with the tetra plug but you cannot load individual sounds or save the sounds you make on any voice, and the 4 th voice has no control at all of the parameters.

In combo mode seems that wouldn't be so hard to put the voices in separated channels but they never implemented that, so you have to have all 4 voices in a single midi channel as well..
The internal arps, sequences or lfo's sync very poorly...

It can sound amazing but..but..but

It's unfinished and not with little bugs, I really did thought u could sequence the voices independently like it says right on the box!

I don't mean to bitchy at tetra my friends this is the real truth of my personal experience and the sad thing is I feel that they have the resources to take care of this but rather fill the market with more of the same with no regards for costumers.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
They should outsource Moog for software development . The new Sub Phatty Editor is pretty spiffy now that Moog is no longer dependent upon SoundTower.
Anything has got to be better than Soundtower.
Old 22nd October 2013
Pym
Lives for gear

Load the latest OS and it works just fine.

When you are in multi mode, if you want to save things as a setup, put it in combo mode. You can still control each voice independently but it saves as a combo so you can recall everything.

When the global param for multi mode is on, you can control each voice on a separate MIDI channel

LFO sync was improved dramatically over the past few releases. I highly recommend updating to the latest beta for that reason

Quote:
Well as far as I know Multitimbral is when you can play and load different presets into separated channels and control them individually. With tetra we were suppose to do that to 4 independent voices, so it does not work period!!

You can get to control 3 independent voices with the tetra plug but you cannot load individual sounds or save the sounds you make on any voice, and the 4 th voice has no control at all of the parameters.

In combo mode seems that wouldn't be so hard to put the voices in separated channels but they never implemented that, so you have to have all 4 voices in a single midi channel as well..
The internal arps, sequences or lfo's sync very poorly...

It can sound amazing but..but..but

It's unfinished and not with little bugs, I really did thought u could sequence the voices independently like it says right on the box!

I don't mean to bitchy at tetra my friends this is the real truth of my personal experience and the sad thing is I feel that they have the resources to take care of this but rather fill the market with more of the same with no regards for costumers.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

At least DSI keep adapting to the market ; they must have some cash to do that.

like how this has aftertouch and more keys
like how it has audio input for generating a feedback distortion loop etc (X4 doesn't)

Good expansion option for Mopho desktop and Tetra owners IMO.

Must admit, I prefer the Evolver series sounds for musicality. But prefer the Tetra/Mopho sounds for bass.
Old 22nd October 2013
Pym
Lives for gear

This is partially incorrect, the mopho keyboard does have aftertouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
At least DSI keep adapting to the market ; they must have some cash to do that.

like how this has aftertouch (yellow mopho keys didn't) and more keys
like how it has audio input for generating a feedback distortion loop etc (X4 doesn't)

Good expansion option for Mopho desktop and Tetra owners IMO.

Must admit, I prefer the Evolver series sounds for musicality. But prefer the Tetra/Mopho sounds for bass.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
Load the latest OS and it works just fine.

When you are in multi mode, if you want to save things as a setup, put it in combo mode. You can still control each voice independently but it saves as a combo so you can recall everything.

When the global param for multi mode is on, you can control each voice on a separate MIDI channel

LFO sync was improved dramatically over the past few releases. I highly recommend updating to the latest beta for that reason
Really?

I take out what I say if that's truth, but judging by the latest posts on dsi forum that doesn't seem to be truth, I believe I have the latest update but please direct me to the beta update your talking about.
Multimode does not work as you describe in my unit and many people have clamed the same.

I know Lots of people have a tetra, if any of you can sequence all 4 voices individually and controll all parameters in individual channels save and load, please share here what version you have.

I will update and come back here and share the results either way.

Soundtower says multimode doesn't work on the vsti cause was not implemented in tetra..

Would love to see it working so please direct me.

Thank you
Old 23rd October 2013
Pym
Lives for gear

I can't speak for the way soundtower handles it but I have tested it personally directly with CCs and NRPNs (as listed in the manual) and it works absolutely fine on any of the 4 voices using separate MIDI channels while in multi mode

Quote:
Really?

I take out what I say if that's truth, but judging by the latest posts on dsi forum that doesn't seem to be truth, I believe I have the latest update but please direct me to the beta update your talking about.
Multimode does not work as you describe in my unit and many people have clamed the same.

I know Lots of people have a tetra, if any of you can sequence all 4 voices individually and controll all parameters in individual channels save and load, please share here what version you have.

I will update and come back here and share the results either way.

Soundtower says multimode doesn't work on the vsti cause was not implemented in tetra..

Would love to see it working so please direct me.

Thank you
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
5 products that barely sound better than most of the VSTs out there. I really hope DSI comes out with a new analog architecture some day. I keep trying their synths, and keep being totally underwhelmed. I'd get all of these different versions of the same thing if that thing sounded amazing... this just seems like another attempt at terd polishing to me.

Release something based off of the P5 or pro one. Big and fat. Nom.
+1000
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
you are out of your god damn mind. lmao. you have obviously never owned a DSI synth - they are leagues above any plugin.
And DSI analogs are leagues below real vco based analog synths. Even the $149 Korg Volca Keys 3 voice VCO sounds way more classic analog - because it is true VCO. Dave wanted VCO but opted for DCO for cost reasons all those years ago. Now in 2013, most analogs are VCO but Dave is left behind with his old tech. Won't stop him from selling boatloads to newbs who fall for the legendary Dave Smith pedigree (as in, he made his name from the VCO classics: Prophet 5, Prophet 6, Prophet 10 etc! How ironic!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
I can't speak for the way soundtower handles it but I have tested it personally directly with CCs and NRPNs (as listed in the manual) and it works absolutely fine on any of the 4 voices using separate MIDI channels while in multi mode

Can you please list what version your referring to be using and how do I get it ?

Iam sorry but so far your just saying that it works, but where?

Well soundtower most have something to do with you guys but off course it's easier to blame on the other, don't u recommend soundtower software to edit tetras synth on Dave smith website?

How do you expect people to control 4 voices from 4 knobs on the front? I thought that was the whole idea of the editor sold for an extra 70 bucks...

I have a few synths that use multimode and in all of them you can load individual presets to individual channel, save them and edit them..not in tetra dsi.

It's easier to come here and say it's all working fine but please don't make me start reposting the latest comments on dsi forums from users like me, that prove that multimode does not work in tetra as it should.

People who are buying tetra to sequence it like I did and have control over each voice have the right to know that's not going to happened as described.

There's way more I didn't mention..

Why don't you post tetras official bug list here for everyone to see?
Old 23rd October 2013
Pym
Lives for gear

I don't post the bug list here because it's in the DSI forum already. Nearly all outstanding bugs have been fixed in the latest beta.

Soundtower makes an editor for our products, we don't work with them directly. I know that multimode doesn't work perfectly with their software and as the software developer for the Tetra I can say with confidence that I've fixed every bug that I'm aware of that was limiting the editor. They haven't released an update in a while, hopefully one will be coming out soon to address that. There are still several outstanding issues in the editor that we have relayed to them that have not been fixed (like you can't save any programs to bank 4 using the editor, it just saves them to bank 1). I don't have any control over the editor.

If you want a full interface to control the Tetra you can program a MIDI interface or get a Mopho keyboard, which makes it extremely easy to control each voice individually. This is what I used to test multimode.

This isn't the place for a more drawn out discussion as it's already been addressed in the DSI forum, I'm more than happy to address any concerns in more detail over there.

Quote:
Can you please list what version your referring to be using and how do I get it ?

Iam sorry but so far your just saying that it works, but where?

Well soundtower most have something to do with you guys but off course it's easier to blame on the other, don't u recommend soundtower software to edit tetras synth on Dave smith website?

How do you expect people to control 4 voices from 4 knobs on the front? I thought that was the whole idea of the editor sold for an extra 70 bucks...

I have a few synths that use multimode and in all of them you can load individual presets to individual channel, save them and edit them..not in tetra dsi.

It's easier to come here and say it's all working fine but please don't make me start reposting the latest comments on dsi forums from users like me, that prove that multimode does not work in tetra as it should.

People who are buying tetra to sequence it like I did and have control over each voice have the right to know that's not going to happened as described.

There's way more I didn't mention..

Why don't you post tetras official bug list here for everyone to see?
Old 23rd October 2013
Pym
Lives for gear

Well sure most mono analogs are VCO nowadays but how many poly analogs are? There's a lot of reasons to use DCOs (and some to use VCOs) but now that the digital control is approaching audio rate precision, the difference between VCOs and DCOs is no longer about the type of control used, it's about the oscillator circuit itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 View Post
And DSI analogs are leagues below real vco based analog synths. Even the $149 Korg Volca Keys 3 voice VCO sounds way more classic analog - because it is true VCO. Dave wanted VCO but opted for DCO for cost reasons all those years ago. Now in 2013, most analogs are VCO but Dave is left behind with his old tech. Won't stop him from selling boatloads to newbs who fall for the legendary Dave Smith pedigree (as in, he made his name from the VCO classics: Prophet 5, Prophet 6, Prophet 10 etc! How ironic!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search