The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Dave Smith Mopho SE
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

i wish it was centered. i wont buy simply because it my keyboard rack the controls would be farthest away from my seat and would look [email protected] That's why I keep going away from the X4, which i really want.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
So three different Mopho's and still no sign of a new mono Evolver key - c'mon Dave & Co.
Gimme access to buy a MEK or put the user tables in the Tempest - no more Mopho distractions please!
The Evolver line seems gone and forgotten for the most part, onward to the P12 hybrid future. If the Evolver sold as well as the Mopho, I'm sure it would see as much attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i wish it was centered. i wont buy simply because it my keyboard rack the controls would be farthest away from my seat and would look [email protected] That's why I keep going away from the X4, which i really want.
That would be terrible for everyone except you. As mentioned, form factors like this let you put modules/effect boxes on top of the keyboard, and save a lot of space. This is definitely the way to go.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
So three different Mopho's and still no sign of a new mono Evolver key - c'mon Dave & Co.
Gimme access to buy a MEK or put the user tables in the Tempest - no more Mopho distractions please!
Instead, I get the feeling there will be smaller, cheaper versions of the P12 engine out in the near future.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post

That would be terrible for everyone except you. As mentioned, form factors like this let you put modules/effect boxes on top of the keyboard, and save a lot of space. This is definitely the way to go.
I don't really care.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Instead, I get the feeling there will be smaller, cheaper versions of the P12 engine out in the near future.
I hope so! A 5 or 6 voice probably. I really hope not a 4 voice.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Screw that - give us a Prophet P12x4!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The Evolver line seems gone and forgotten for the most part, onward to the P12 hybrid future. If the Evolver sold as well as the Mopho, I'm sure it would see as much attention.
Haven't they sold way more Evolvers than Mophos? I imagine the original Evolver was one of the best selling synths in a long time (if not one of the best ever).
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
Screw that - give us a Prophet P12x4!
Do you mean a "P4" or a "P48"?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
Haven't they sold way more Evolvers than Mophos? I imagine the original Evolver was one of the best selling synths in a long time (if not one of the best ever).
Nah, not even close. The best selling synths are things like the Microkorg which obliterate everything DSI's ever done put together. As for the Evolver, it's too esoteric. The Mopho shows up a lot more in bands on stage.

I don't have any sales figures (nor do I know if any are available publicly), but you need look no further than the fact that the inexpensive Evolver desktop is the only thing left on the DSI store, while the Mono Evolver Keyboard, Poly Evolver and Poly Evolver rack have all been discontinued. Meanwhile the Mopho line has expanded to 5 products, if you include the Tetr4:

http://store.davesmithinstruments.co...ucts.php?cat=7
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

5 products that barely sound better than most of the VSTs out there. I really hope DSI comes out with a new analog architecture some day. I keep trying their synths, and keep being totally underwhelmed. I'd get all of these different versions of the same thing if that thing sounded amazing... this just seems like another attempt at terd polishing to me.

Release something based off of the P5 or pro one. Big and fat. Nom.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dunno, I maybe in the minority here, but I kinda liked the yellow MoKey. You always have no doubt when it's on a stage.
The extra octave is always a plus on any mono. Soloists will love it without having to hit the +/- buttons between notes!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
5 products that barely sound better than most of the VSTs out there. I really hope DSI comes out with a new analog architecture some day. I keep trying their synths, and keep being totally underwhelmed. I'd get all of these different versions of the same thing if that thing sounded amazing... this just seems like another attempt at terd polishing to me.

you are out of your god damn mind. lmao. you have obviously never owned a DSI synth - they are leagues above any plugin.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
So just buy a Prophet 12 & be done with it...
Is it safe to say that Prophet 12 can do anything that all DSI synths can?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
i could be wrong but isn't the mopho supposed to have the heritage of the pro one and the 08 have the heritage of the p5?

feel like i've read that before
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

A better looking Mopho from DSI. At this pricing, I wonder where does it lie in the organisation's product price range-target market matrix. Like some members here who mentioned, the price is uncomfortably close to the four-voice variant.
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:

Old 16th October 2013
To be honest you can buy the lil yellow box for $350, use your own midi keyboard v $950

The knob assignments pretty easy through the editor...so this ones for performers in mind I guess

Great little synth though...i love it as much as my P08
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Definitely agree this might be more for the live performance, can be used as a Mopho with a larger keybed, sample the sound you play and then either switch patches to play another sound beside it or use it as a midi keyboard for some other synthbox or plugin you may have on hand at that moment.

Not to mention, its looks a bit more stylish (personal preference) having a this Mopho next to a Prophet 08, x4 and maybe P12 (if you somehow have them all).
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I guess this is the evolver MEK replacement. Pity all DSI synths sound so s*****. Maybe JUST using curtis filters is the reason - Ive had both the desktop and KB and sold both ASAP. Horrible synths. Sorry - its good to have a dissenting voice I think for balance
Old 16th October 2013
all together, i really dig the looks of this. and 3.5 octave i find perfect for a monosynth.

i wonder tho, if they went thru the trouble of launching a new model, new casing, design, marketing etc.. why they haven't added a few more knobs (like dedicated ADSR knobs for VCF and VCA), besides the extra keys.

that would make the upgrade feel more substantial.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Its better than before in my opinion. I think keeping knobs to the left is smart to allow tweaking and playing at the same time. I still wish companies would always put the bender and mod wheels to the left and not on top.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

More

Bring out a knobby PE rack mount ..That I would buy..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
Yup, totally agree. The Evolver logo is like a giant wart on one of the best looking synths ever made (IMO, of course). And, I think I do prefer the yellow Mopho to the SE, but both look nice and, ultimately, neither the logo nor the color have any bearing on my synth buying decisions.
I've always liked the yellow scheme of the original Mopho keys. I needed poly so I went Mx4 instead, but I find the black panel to be pretty dull and uninspiring. The yellow LED indicator lights help though (especially on the LFOs).
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I guess this is the evolver MEK replacement. Pity all DSI synths sound so s*****. Maybe JUST using curtis filters is the reason - Ive had both the desktop and KB and sold both ASAP. Horrible synths. Sorry - its good to have a dissenting voice I think for balance
When I first got my Mx4, I also thought about returning it the very next day. I thought it sounded harsh and brassy, and the filter was pretty anemic and lifeless compared to Roland/Korg/Moog/etc. I'm glad I stuck with it though because after a few months of getting to know it better, I started to realize it is capable of some really nice warm analog sounds. You just have to get a feeling for how to find the sweet spots.

If you're coming from Moog and the like, it will likely take a while to grow on you--it took me a few months of being completely annoyed with it every time I sat down in front of it--but it's a worthwhile journey and the Mx4 has become my main synth now (along with a Motif).
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear
these SE knobs looks better than X4 ones, I'd like to have them on the X4 too
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
A better looking Mopho from DSI. At this pricing, I wonder where does it lie in the organisation's product price range-target market matrix. Like some members here who mentioned, the price is uncomfortably close to the four-voice variant.
I agree, it's in an awkward spot in the lineup pricewise. You could easily get a 15-20% coupon from GC making the Mx4 ~$1,100 USD (of course by the same token, you could get the Mopho SE down to ~800). I feel like they could reduce the price of the original Mopho keys to 700 and make room for the SE at about 800-850. This has the added benefit of placing the original Mopho keys within striking distance of all the cheap analog monos that have cropped up in recent years (MB, Minitaur, BSII, MS20mini, etc.).

But as someone alluded to earlier, this is simply an adventitious opportunity for both DSI and customers that really does not require any significant additional R&D or manufacturing outlay to produce. So I regard it more as an option on the existing Mx4 platform to reduce the cost a little if you don't need 4 voices but want the longer keybed.

Which brings me to my last point. DSI was considering an upgrade to the original Mopho keys to make it a 4-voice poly. I wonder if that is still in the works because it would make for a really interesting lineup now that there is the Mopho SE.

Here's how I would like to see the Mopho "ecosystem":
1) Mopho desktop ($399)
2) 2.5 octave Mopho keyboard in mono ($700) or 4 voice ($1,000)
3) 3.5 octave Mopho keyboard in mono ($850) or 4 voice ($1,299)
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

edited for doh-moment..

Quote:
.. As for the Evolver, it's too esoteric. ..
I remember looking at both in the store, when the Mopho first came out. I didn't find the Evolver too 'esoteric', but it's audio path was not 100% analog. I remember trying them and thinking the basic sound of the Mopho was a tad better, though admittedly it wasn't a very scientific nor thorough test I performed. It was less expensive, too!

At this point though, since I own several other analogs, I'd have chosen the Evolver to get the additional digital features, like the wavetables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
i could be wrong but isn't the mopho supposed to have the heritage of the pro one ..
My Mopho printboard says Pro One II, so yes, apparently. They are made with different technologies though (VCO/VCO), and don't sound the same.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
you are out of your god damn mind. lmao. you have obviously never owned a DSI synth - they are leagues above any plugin.
I disagree.

I have a Mopho desktop and a Pro One. No question of which one I prefer. One is thin and one is fat.

I was about to buy a Prophet 08, but compared to old poly analogs like the Juno60 or the MKS80 I have, it sounds too modern, comparing it to my Nord Rack 2 puts them on a fairly even level.

No, DSI synths are not leagues above new analog-type of plugins. They provide other benefits, hands-on control, dedicated hardware, etc.

I use my Mopho for stuff in the background, weird noices and arpeggios. The heavier stuff is handled by the older analogs I have, like the Pro One, SH09, Rogue, etc. The DSI stuff is good to have a modern incarnation with patch memories, often USB connection, warranty, etc.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

I like the knobs on this one more so than what's on my X4. I wonder if they are going to offer a prophet12 style knob upgrade kit to all us X4 owners. The DSI store offers one for the mopho module but still nothing for the mopho keyboards. I suppose I could always get a prophet8 or polyevolver kit and have a lot of extra knobs laying around.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I disagree.

I have a Mopho desktop and a Pro One. No question of which one I prefer. One is thin and one is fat.

I was about to buy a Prophet 08, but compared to old poly analogs like the Juno60 or the MKS80 I have, it sounds too modern, comparing it to my Nord Rack 2 puts them on a fairly even level.

No, DSI synths are not leagues above new analog-type of plugins. They provide other benefits, hands-on control, dedicated hardware, etc.

I use my Mopho for stuff in the background, weird noices and arpeggios. The heavier stuff is handled by the older analogs I have, like the Pro One, SH09, Rogue, etc. The DSI stuff is good to have a modern incarnation with patch memories, often USB connection, warranty, etc.
Funny, I find ANY DSI synth sounds a HELL of a lot more interesting than any Rouge and any Juno out there (I'll give you the Pro-1 and MKS-80 though... though fatness has nothing to do with it :P)...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search