The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Why is i so hard to find good sax?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
Why is i so hard to find good sax?

Why is it so difficult to find a decent sax sound these days? I am struggling to find a decent sax sound in any of the software I have, nor can I find anything decent to download, does nobody use Sax anymore? If you do please advise what you use that doesn't break the bank! Cheers...
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Chris Hein Horns. Not only really good software but phenomenal support by a really good guy.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

try your local jazz club
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

IMO the sax has so many nuances that is very difficult to replicate with a synth. Also, it can be bright or dark depending how the player blows through the mouthpiece.

The sax also has intonation quirks that are never replicated by synths. If I hear a scale of a synth sax, it's the perfect intonation that usually tips it off as fake.

To me, of all western instruments, it's the one that is the most difficult for a synth or sampler to replicate.

.......but then again, I'm a sax player.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Like RedTuxedo wrote, the real problem with synth/sampled sax is the playing articulation and intonation is never right. For some reason, other woodwinds and brass are easier to emulate realistically.

I've heard cool things played with wind controllers to get around the articulation issues, but if you can play a wind controller you probably also can play the saxophone
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Roland Integra 7 probably does a decent job. That module and a wind controller is probably the closest available without getting the real thing.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

It's a very expressive instrument with a wide range of sounds and an idiosyncratic way of playing that's impossible to emulate on keyboard.

See also: Best saxophone plugin?
Old 15th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

The Korg Z1 has some pretty convincing sax's.

For software check these out - Wallander Instruments - Modelled Virtual Instruments in VST, AU & RTAS Format

Haven't tried them personally but physical modeling is where it's at if samples aren't your thing.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Sample it.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Mr. Sax VSTi played with an Akai EWI is pretty good.

+

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would recommend Yamaha's VL synthesis. If VL1 is too expensive, try find cheaper VL-70M or better bang for buck would be definitely EX-5.

The best comparison between rompler sax and VL synthesis Sax:

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
The Roland Integra 7 probably does a decent job. That module and a wind controller is probably the closest available without getting the real thing.
Nah, the Integra is not that good for sax. A bit plastic-y. They spent too much time on the still-fake-sounding bends and other articulations and not enough on the core sound.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Lol... I don't have this problem.

Just get a friend who plays the thing to come over and lay down some stuff.

That's what I did just the other week, for this tune:

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Motif XF
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

It can be hard to find good sax, but my frand sometime you just need to pay lady of the night.

You is so hard because you need the release!
Old 15th October 2013
Deleted b598644
nice juvenile wordplay in topic title
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Couldn't resist.

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
It can be hard to find good sax, but my frand sometime you just need to pay lady of the night.

You is so hard because you need the release!
Hehee...I think the OP should take a second look at the title of his thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic
Why is i so hard to find good sax ?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Like previous posters said, it's hard to get the intonation right with a keyboard. I think you need something like Mr Sax sample library and a breath controller to intonate while playing. An Akai EWI and Mr Sax sounds really realistic:

The song is unfortunately played horribly slow, but you get the idea.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7791 View Post
Like previous posters said, it's hard to get the intonation right with a keyboard. I think you need something like Mr Sax sample library and a breath controller to intonate while playing. An Akai EWI and Mr Sax sounds really realistic:

Not even close.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform:blue View Post
Hehee...I think the OP should take a second look at the title of his thread...
Perhaps he'd have better luck if he learned to play an instrument.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you have Reaktor, check out the Silverwood instruments by Chet Singer. Really nice emulations. Of course, it works best with some sort of midihorn.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Community : Reaktor User Library
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for the good tips guys, and apologies for the lack of 't'.....
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

No such thing.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Part of what helps to emulate a sax from a keyboard is to selectively bend up and/or down to certain notes. As an actual sax is played there are subtle to obvious glides between notes, partially caused by the speed at which the key holes are opened and closed, it's not instantaneous like an organ etc.

For instance, instead of playing C, D, G (ascending) on your keyboard, have your pitch wheel set to 1 step and then play C, D, F and the instant you hit F rapidly bend up to G.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
try your local jazz club
Oh yeah!.. The problem isn't finding a good sax,, it's being able to deliver the expression and range of sounds and variations that are convincingly a sax. I have done some stuff with flute sounds and harmonica sounds that are passable for limited applications, but a sax is somewhat more comples in terms of expression. Akai made the "Ewi", it really opened up that range, but I haven't seen that for awhile. yes....best bet is to hire a real sax player with a real sax.
Old 16th October 2013
solo sax is pretty much impossible to do with samples. You have to put hours into the programming to get it even remotely close with great samples, and then you'll notice it still won't hold up to a real player. IF you need it to really sound like a sax save your self some time and get a real player.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

For any woodwind/brass sounds, I've yet to hear anything that comes close to the real thing in a synth/softsynth patch.
Samples, loop libraries, or the real thing played by a real person.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search