The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Why is i so hard to find good sax?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
Sample it.
You'd need to buy a saxophone first. Then learn to play it. Then you need a quality microphone to record it, and a decent mic preamp. A room with great acoustics is pretty mandatory too.

Not a cheap, or fast effort.

Alternatively, hire a jazz musician and a few hours of studio time with a good engineer. That's gonna cost a bit too though.

The sampling route is not a cheap and easy one I'm afraid.

Not saying music should be easy, but some obstacles are maybe a bit too much, if all you need is a few notes from a sax.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
Mr. Sax VSTi played with an Akai EWI is pretty good.

+

+1 and I'm a saxophonist
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxyz View Post
+1 and I'm a saxophonist
cmon, it's still not the real thing
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

check out the pack pages of the daily news in your area
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

A bit OT, but... I thought the title read: "Why is it so hard to find good sex"
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
cmon, it's still not the real thing
Disagree. It's actually pretty convincing, certainly far better than any other emulation in software or esp. hardware, including the VL1, which seems a bit too sterile and predictable.

The only thing that would immediately catch my ear in that YT video is that the reverb on the sax sounds fake.
Old 16th October 2013
https://soundcloud.com/poserp/tuthorn-demo

Now, the tone isn't quite there (I have ideas how to get there, but haven't implemented them yet due to time constraints), but this sound is pure synthesis.

It's sort of a hybrid between physical modeling and FM, implemented on the Kurzweil PC3 basically as FM + noise --> parallel bandpass filters (the "body" of the sax and the physical modeling part of the patch) --> FM.

While the tone isn't right, I think the articulation is pretty close, especially on trills. I'd really like to try this with an EWI or a breath controller, I think either of those could help get a lot closer.

Edit: This is the sort of sax sound I'm shooting for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ruqBjcusvM

Mine is too dark and doesn't "bite" soon enough, basically I'm probably missing a couple of formants in the upper-mid range that would provide the brightness. The "bite" is a simple adjustment of the range of the FM index going into the final FM operator (I think it's too wide in my demo).

Last edited by poserp; 16th October 2013 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: adding ref material
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

haha, sampled sax. I immediatly think of yello. They seemed to do a decent job at it - I imagine using the fairlight.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by APHELEON View Post
It can be hard to find good sax, but my frand sometime you just need to pay lady of the night.

You is so hard because you need the release!
Beat me to it! Free with massage, right?
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Disagree. It's actually pretty convincing, certainly far better than any other emulation in software or esp. hardware, including the VL1, which seems a bit too sterile and predictable.

The only thing that would immediately catch my ear in that YT video is that the reverb on the sax sounds fake.
It might be better than any other emulation, but it still doesn't sound like the real thing. I record the real thing all the time
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
IMO the sax has so many nuances that is very difficult to replicate with a synth. Also, it can be bright or dark depending how the player blows through the mouthpiece.

The sax also has intonation quirks that are never replicated by synths. If I hear a scale of a synth sax, it's the perfect intonation that usually tips it off as fake.

To me, of all western instruments, it's the one that is the most difficult for a synth or sampler to replicate.

.......but then again, I'm a sax player.
yea try recreating this with a synth-
Rahsaan Roland Kirk plays 3 saxes flute at once (´66) - YouTube
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Head

Nobody's mentioning DVS Saxophone (FREE). I just got it tonight and I'm having great results. The trick is, you have to use the pitch and expression wheels to make sweet love to EVERY NOTE. Glides/bends, vibrato, etc. You have to manufacture a varied human element. I find it's best to play the notes on the first pass, then punch in the pitch performance.

These guys who play piano scale runs with a "sax sound" and post a video thinking they've gotten it... fools.

DVS Saxophone does have one glaring problem- lack of sustain. There will be no long, grinding Clarence Clemons notes with this soft synth.
Old 1st March 2015
I have Kick Ass Brass. It's quite good. But like people say, you can't make it sound 'real'. Good enough for background stuff though.
Old 1st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartragic View Post

I am struggling to find a decent sax sound in any of the software I have, nor can I find anything decent to download, does nobody use Sax anymore?

Like many others suggested, find a real sax player. You should be able to find a suitable player for $100 anywhere. Even a decent student player is going to sound better than software.

If you can't find / afford a human and aren't satisfied with software, stop writing music for saxophone.
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Maniac

A plug-in to make a sampler sound like Pharoah Sanders or Coltrane (OP) ....?

Sure, and while we're at it, how about a plug-in to make my voice sound like Nina Simone?
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Maniac
i've gotten a pretty good sax sound with my roland gr-1 guitar synth - by thinking like a sax player and bending the notes just so, it manages to sound pretty real

of course, if you don't know how to play guitar and don't have a gr-1, it might be better just to buy a real sax and learn how to play it
Old 1st March 2015
Me too hard find good sax.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search