The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
ASR 10, No sound.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

ASR 10, No sound.

Hey guys, so I bought a broken ASR 10 with SCSI for around 100, with the output expander and all that. So here's my problem:

The unit boot's up fine, loads tracks fine. But there is no sound output at all. Not through headphones or through speakers connected. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

So.... have you opened it up to look inside?
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
So.... have you opened it up to look inside?
Nope not yet. I only got it a couple days ago, and have been emailing places nearby me who can have a look at it. There is one place, but their repairman is overseas until next month.

Before that I just want some sort of direction on what it may be, or what parts I may need to look for.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay23 View Post
Nope not yet. I only got it a couple days ago, and have been emailing places nearby me who can have a look at it. There is one place, but their repairman is overseas until next month.

Before that I just want some sort of direction on what it may be, or what parts I may need to look for.
If you don't open it up to tell us if there's anything obviously wrong (cracks on the board, chips burned, batteries leaked, capacitors blown etc) then it's a lot more difficult for anyone to help you . otherwise it's just complete guesswork and won't really serve any purpose.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
If you don't open it up to tell us if there's anything obviously wrong (cracks on the board, chips burned, batteries leaked, capacitors blown etc) then it's a lot more difficult for anyone to help you . otherwise it's just complete guesswork and won't really serve any purpose.
Thats sounds fair enough. I'll give it a go tomorrow, hopefully I don't make anything worse before I send it in . Anything in particular I should be looking at though?

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey guys, so I bought a broken ASR 10 with SCSI for around 100, with the output expander and all that. So here's my problem:

The unit boot's up fine, loads tracks fine. But there is no sound output at all. Not through headphones or through speakers connected. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

Cheers!
Yes !!! The problem is that it is broken .....

sorry dude, you walked right into that one....
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats sounds fair enough. I'll give it a go tomorrow, hopefully I don't make anything worse before I send it in . Anything in particular I should be looking at though?

Cheers!
Re-read my post above... it says a few things to look for .

alternatively... if you're sending it in anyway... just leave it and let the repair guy do his job.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:

Cheers!
There is a way you can trigger samples from the neumeric push buttons, see if that will trigger any samples. That you could rule out MIDI or keybed issues.

There is a fuse somewhere near the screen, see if that is blown. My ASR over heated once and that fuse was the first thing to go.

Try running a sample to the alternate outs see if there is a problem with the main outs.

If you are in the USA, you could try e-mailing Sam at Syntaur who specializes in Ensoniq. He's a super nice guy and has always come thru for me.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
There is a way you can trigger samples from the neumeric push buttons, see if that will trigger any samples. That you could rule out MIDI or keybed issues.

There is a fuse somewhere near the screen, see if that is blown. My ASR over heated once and that fuse was the first thing to go.

Try running a sample to the alternate outs see if there is a problem with the main outs.

If you are in the USA, you could try e-mailing Sam at Syntaur who specializes in Ensoniq. He's a super nice guy and has always come thru for me.
Thanks everyone!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

(cough) Is MIDI local set to on?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
What he said.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

You should be able to load in a demo song to rule out the keyed being bad.

Perhaps one hope is if you can find the SPDIF kit somewhere. Possibly the spdif might work if the D/A section is hosed.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. But yes it is on local mode.

The guy I bought it off said he was using it, and he heard a loud "bang" come from the speakers, so after that no more audio came through. I thought it was a bargain anyway considering the output expanders go for 150-200 by themselves. But I'd really love to get this unit up and running.

I'm still working on trying everyone else's suggestions. Thanks everyone!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
If it went bang, then it probably burned out a chip or two. Open it up and see if any parts are obviously damaged.
Old 13th May 2014
Here for the gear

Hi DeeJay23,
Did you ever get your issue fixed? I have the same problem. I have opened the keyboard but wanted to do a bit more research before delving into it.
Please let me know if you got it figured out and what you had to do.
I truly appreciate your assistance.
Thank you.
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Addict

just bought one and I have the same problem here, did anybody find a way to fix that ?
Old 6th June 2014
Gear Maniac

I had a loud "bang" from a Yamaha O1V not too long ago. One of the D/A converters blew. Didn't cost much to fix it, but you may have a different issue.
Old 9th July 2014
Gear Addict

FWIW I was able to fix my ASR by simply replacing two blown fuses
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search