The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Death Of Two Octave Keyboards..... Please?
Old 25th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Death Of Two Octave Keyboards.....
If the news are true,

it happened not a moment too soon.

Eagerly waiting for the demise of minikeys.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

25 keys is plenty for me as I just program scales and octaves into this.

Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
If the news are true,

it happened not a moment too soon.

Eagerly waiting for the demise of minikeys.

According to Arturia and now many Gearslutz members they welcome minikeys. Now many are proclaiming minikeys and a smaller keyboard better due to space as you can see in the threads commented about the MicroBrute.

Interesting turn of events.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Head

Mini keys, ugh.

While not analog, the Alesis Micron has pretty much been the best everything-is-compact in a 37-key unit for me. Yeah, no usb, and wall wart, and could definitely use more knobs, but I reckon that would have driven the price up.

What I really want is somebody to make a Nord Stage... that is the size of the micron, with the same 37 key full size keybed. And poly-key pressure. (Don't ask me how you'd cram all that stuff on there.)

Since that's unlikely to occur, I would have definitely liked to have seen the Mini or Microbrute have 37 full size keys, yes.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

After many years of trial and error, this is the optimal form for my gigging percussion table.
Attached Thumbnails
The Death Of Two Octave Keyboards..... Please?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1382738274.480167.jpg  
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

All keyboards are created equal but some are more equal than others.

4 octave keyboard good, 2 octave keyboard bad.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

And another thing ...

minkeys = ****, although I guess they serve a purpose on the road or whatever. I used to take one on long bus trips to input notes and chords into Sibelius.

2 octave keyboard = ****. Give me a module instead. 3 octaves minimum with octave up/down buttons. I haven't bought a Minibrute because of the 2 octave keyboard.
Old 26th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
According to Arturia they welcome minikeys.
They are French.

Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldroy View Post
minkeys I guess serve a purpose on the road
yep. Roadkill, then food for larger, carnivore keyboards.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Speaking of 25-key controllers, I have an absolutely mint QuNexus that I would like to sell. I bought it to use with my laptop, but never really got around to using it. PM me if anyone is interested.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

have to say that as a non trained keyboard player that i appreciate these little 2 octave toys simply because i can assign each to a different synth....or maybe one takes the upper...the other the lower register. Also they don't swamp my desk....
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post

yep. Roadkill, then food for larger, carnivore keyboards.
I'm really too old for smilies but what the hell:

Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

I hate 2 octave keyboards. They suck for composing melodies, arps or whatever. Even base lines can be hindered when composing. 32 keys is a minimum for me and even then I don't care for that so much. I have a M Audio 32 mini and Korg Microkey 61. I wish someone would make a 45 key mini keyboard. I do enjoy mini keyboards as they are easy to travel with, be it around the house or outside.
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The sub phatty doesn't bother me but the mini keys of other synths do. Can't play them.
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm holding a padKontrol in my hand right now. and it's smaller than the pic T513 posted.
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Odd, I always thought 37 keys was more common than 49. Only 49 key synth I can think of off the top of my head is the Blofeld and the Yamaha something-or-other. And the Mopho 4x is close...
All Nord Leads have 49 keys. Also some popular Roland VA's like the JP-8000 and SH-201 (the Gaia has 37 keys).

I agree about 25 keys being nearly pointless, but isn't the Nord Modular G1 the cutest keyboard you've ever seen?

In the past few years I've been using my Nord G2 (37 keys) as my main controller. I do have a 5-octave Evolution controller but it's been unplugged for years, and I've since sold all my other keyboards (except the G2). I'm not much of a keyboardist, though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search