The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone still using both a VP9000 & a V Synth?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone still using both a VP9000 & a V Synth?

I have a VP9000 & a V Synth V2.
I keep thinking of selling the VP9000 for the obvious crossover reasons , but I actually use my VP9000 more than my V Synth at the moment.
I like to use the VP more as an instant gratification inspiration / jamming machine whilst I treat the V Synth more as a complex synth /sound generating machine.
I like the immediacy of the VP when using it as a sampler as opposed to the V Synth which takes more time .
I know its just attitude , as the V Synth could be used exactly as the VP , by bypassing the synth section,(albeit with different FX algorhythms etc) but with all those options I tend to look at it & use it in a different way, less as a sampler & more as a synth.
I also find the VP9000 has a different sound. The V Synth seems a bit more refined somehow, & the FX are obviously quite different .
Anyone else got both & use both ?
Im interested in why you would still keep a VP9000 if so.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Simple, you like it and you use it. It is special when a musician connects with an instrument.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear more about why you prefer using the VP-9000. Is it just the interface inspiring different things out of you than with the v-synth?
Old 15th October 2013
The main reason I want a V-synth is because of the sampling. I want a hardware equivalent of the ableton sampler.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Hamburglar,
Yes , as I said I find I use the VP9000 more for basic & instant gratification in use . Sampling on the fly..( what does 'on the fly mean?')
I often use it like a 'looper',or an FX rack eg & as I dont have any of the factory sounds for it, or store anything I sample on Zip discs etc , I use it with whatever synths I have set up near it or on a line out from my hard disc recorder sometimes , or to sample vocal phrases or guitar riffs on mic input.
Not storing anything on Zip discs & the fact that no sounds are stored on the unit itself forces a fresh perspective on it each time I use it , more like early hardware samplers ( in use, not sound process obviously)which I first used in the late 80s & early 90s.

I love both units & the V Synth is an amazing instrument indeed which is much more powerful with its synthesis capabilities & much expanded FX section, & expansion card options, of which I have the VC2 Vocal Designer, but not the VC1 yet . ( they seem to be around the same price as D50s these days)

So I would tend to go to the V Synth with more serious production ideas in mind or wanting to do more serious sound design, vocoding/ harmonising or synthesis or just to play it as an instrument with many of its large library of sounds, while I just switch the VP9000 on a lot more often & just jam into it, sampling whatever phrase or riff I happen to come up with at the time, in a much more spontaneous & light hearted fashion, but the results can be amazing , & I would never have thought of doing whatever the result originated from on the VSynth, but of course could well have theoretically! I just wouldnt.
Also my V Synth is upstairs in my main studio, but the VP is in my downstairs living room , a more 'jamming area' with a couple of synths & a keyboard amp / guitar & mic etc. I havnt been spending as much time as I would like in my studio .
Probably too much info, but explains all the factors of why I use the VP more than the VSynth at the moment!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hamburgular, Im going to answer your question again.

Yes!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search