The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Creative use of pads on a controller?
Old 14th October 2013
Creative use of pads on a controller?

I got this MPD32 a few weeks back, solid MIDI controller with 16 pads, 8 faders and 8 knobs as well as some buttons. It's quality, and I really like it, BUT, since I'm getting the Maschine Studio in a few weeks time, the pads are somewhat superfluous. I've considered selling it again and getting a Bistream 3x instead, but at the same time, I really like the knobs and faders on this thing, they feel very solid and are excellent in use.

So I'm thinking of keeping it regardless of getting the Maschine, if only for the knobs and faders. But what to use the pads for? Since it takes up quite a bit of space, I want to utilize them somehow to defend keeping the damn thing in the limited sized studio space I have.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could possibly use those for, now that the pads of the Maschine will pretty much cover all my pad-jamming needs? I could map it to control tracks on and off, for example, or trigger effects on and off and so on, but are there other less obvious ways of using these pads in ways to compliment the pads on the Maschine? I'm basically looking for it to compliment the Maschine + the Elektron boxes.

A bit of a stupid question, I know, but I'd like some creative input on this, as I know you're a knowledgeable bunch with good ideas and lots of experience!
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Take a look at NoSaj Thing's KEXP live set on YouTube.

I 'think' he uses the faders as chain selectors and the knobs as the sends to these chains in Ableton.
Then paging the pads to trigger drum racks, clips, scenes and effect toggles.

Pretty powerful setup on its own, I could imagine heaps of fun running Maschine into something like that!
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here's the video. Great stuff.

Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ thanks - I'm stuck with only my phone at the moment and it's old and slow, making finding and posting vids a proper chore!
Old 14th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
Here's the video. Great stuff.

Nice! Quite a fan of his stuff, so cool to see this. I won't be using it with Live though (we're not speaking), but it could of course be used the same way with Maschine or any of the other machines. That's cool.

More suggestions?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I guess we'll know more about what can be done with external controllers and Maschine v2 soon enough... At the moment, there's not a lot you can do with external controllers and Maschine.
Afaik, you can map the 8 macros per group to ext and obviously notes.

I don't see why one couldn't apply something like the NoSaj setup, in theory, with what Maschine v2 offers - so you could use the MPD32 as an effect toggle still, assign the knobs and faders to snapshots, wet/dry, depth or whatever.
Freeing the Maschine Studio to be your centre and have a dedicated interface for other things. I don't know about you but I found the Vysex editor a PITA for the MPD and the screen wasn't as handy as Maschine's but you might already be over this or it might not apply to you
Old 14th October 2013
Don't like the editor either, but mapping things straight from the machine itself is pretty easy if you have the cc numbers, just had a jam with the analog four, and it worked great. Yeah, we will see for sure, its a keeper thus far anyway, love the feeling of those faders. ;-)

Sent from my LT15i
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Could always keep it for the knobs and faders, sit a small desktop synth or fx box on those crap, as standard, pads!
Maschine pads are pretty good IMO, I preferred the Mk1 pads over the aftermarket pads I had for my MPC1000 (hated the MPD32) pads.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search