The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Ten Classic Drum Machines
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
sup looney... just to clarify, what you are speaking of is swing/shuffle on the 909 a feature actually missing on the 808.. what the other dude meant by '808 groove' is that beats on the 808 spit out a snappy funky groove which is i'm sure one of the reasons it became so successful in hip-hop/booty/bass etc. it's a lot different then the jacky house shuffle on the 909... of course both are fantastic in their own departments
Sup mate.
Understand so groove can then come from a machine naturally so to speak, without the need of adjustment to any such setting as shuffle yeah?
Just like the MPC is said to have wicked groove. Have I got that right?
Also the 909 may just have groove without touching the swing shuffle setting?
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

yea definitely... each sequencer has it's timing, i.e. groove so to speak... especially these old quirky 80's drum machines as opposed to today's DAW that have perfect super precise high PPQ resolution.. also when you add swing to the low resolution boxes like 909 or SP1200 you are going to get different/unique results.. to me this is a great appeal of these old boxes and why i collect such diverse drum machines.. it isn't just about the sound but the innate groove they produce..
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
yea definitely... each sequencer has it's timing, i.e. groove so to speak... especially these old quirky 80's drum machines as opposed to today's DAW that have perfect super precise high PPQ resolution.. also when you add swing to the low resolution boxes like 909 or SP1200 you are going to get different/unique results.. to me this is a great appeal of these old boxes and why i collect such diverse drum machines.. it isn't just about the sound but the innate groove they produce..
Yup got ya.
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Nothing punches and cuts through a mix like a linndrum. Never had the thing, but i always loved it from what i heard of it on records, especially Prince records, who used it quite much and quite innovatively.

Never liked the sound of the 909. It was the sound of house in the late 80's and early nineties, and i hated house with a passion. It was such dumb music to me back in the day.. same beat over and over again, same samples, same sounds, yaaawn. And it got worse and worse, culminating in Gabber, which was the ultimate lowbrow music for deranged pill-swallowers.

Now i get that the kick is kinda fat and all that, and i sometimes use 909-derived sounds, but frankly i think i can do without it

I do like the 808 a bit more.. it seems more flexible and has a more interesting sound in general.

I also liked a number of plugins that gave you great flexibility in creating your own drums. There was Waldorf Attack, which i used a lot. It had a random drum generation button, which i used often as a basis to create new sounds.

Another drumsynth i've used a bit was Image Line's Drumaxx, which was also capable of creating interesting sounds.

Now i use BFD2 a lot, as well as stormdrum, my MPC500, and battery
Prince only used the LM-1..not The LinnDrum.
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

DMX
Linndrum
RZ-1
Drum Tracks
CR-78
Yamaha RX-5

These above seem to feature as my fave drum machine sounds.
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

re

i dont know. He obviously used the lm1s mostly but Ive seen lm2s around Prince and I know someone who he gave one to around purple rain era full of patterns to write to. He is known to have also used a sequential drum machine, dmx, and linn 9000 also at different times. and he was a good kit player anyway as you can hear on his first 2 albums.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search