The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Top Ten Classic Drum Machines
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

steve morris of new order is all things drum machine.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Some of these have been on so many classic tracks they are almost inseparable. Have just realised how good the SY1 is too.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
These are my top 10 - and I have all of them but two (soon to be acquired...) heh

1) Roland TR-909 - my favorite drum machine of all time. The Techno / House classic
2) Linn LinnDrum - the drum sound of the first half of the '80s
3) Oberheim DMX - the other drum sound of the first half of the '80s
4) Roland TR-808 - the Rap / Hip Hop / House classic
5) Roland CR-78 - the New Wave / Electro classic
6) Akai MPC-60 - the (r)evolutionary machine
7) Roland TR-707 - the affordable "realistic" machine of the '80s
8) Roland TR-727 - the classic percussion machine
9) Linn 9000 - the nightmar... ahem, the classic S.A.W. / hiNRG machine
10) Roland R-8 - the modern Techno machine

Too many other drum machines not making the list are also great, though... E-mu, Korg, Boss, Sequential Circuits... even EKO! I love them all

Edit - are you considering the Simmons SDS as a drum machine instead of a drum module?
this, but maybe not in that order. it would take me so long to choose which order i would put them in, i ain't even gonna try...
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I could never figure out how to disable the swing setting on Buddy Rich.

srsly tho, keep an eye on the Sonic Potions LXR... I just got one and it's the honeymoon phase, but I'm seeing a future classic here. The clap and snare synthesis on it is really, really nice... and there is some greater-than-zero possibility it might load user samples at some point, which would really kick it over the top.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Anybody already mention Volca Beats? J/K
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Linndrum ( amazing HH / snare + toms. Great pocket and real time pitch knobs )
Simmons SDS V ( It can be triggered from anything and it can be anything from 808 to sci fi )
Oberheim DMX ( DX is a close second as with the stretch it's cool but the voice stealing is odd )
Roland TR 808 ( Amazing for percussion and of course the kick + snare )
Roland TR 909 ( great but not always what i want to gravitate towards it's really smooth and sounds good but isn't fun to program )
My fave percussion sounds are a korg MS10 or 20. pick the noise source and make a percussive modulated bursting rhythm...
triggered from a drum machine in time!

http://www.newallianceeast.com/

https://www.facebook.com/newallianceeast

https://twitter.com/newallianceeast

http://www.linkedin.com/company/new-...east-mastering

http://xbs111.wordpress.com/
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
Where's the pearl syncussion?
Yea that thing is BAD ASS.

The 707 is just as valid as the 808 and 909 in my book.
Layering a 707 for vibe and 808 for beef can be really slick when done right.

Love the DMX, my buddy has one, but I actually got some samples posted here a while back that are great. The magic of that thing really comes out with defining the sonic personality of the track and processing. The Roland 626 has a snare on it that was probably used in every single 80s b movie sound track, that can be neat too.

Honestly don't have a single disagreement with anyones 'add ons' from the top 10 there.
I have a soft spot for the 808 because my baby sitters brother owned one and was mystified at that thing as as lil' kid.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict

I like the Kawai R-100

Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

No joke, the Tempest will be there some day.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

909 all day everyday and maybe some 808 for that percussion.
Like the Linn though.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post
Roland TR 909 ( great but not always what i want to gravitate towards it's really smooth and sounds good but isn't fun to program )
funny i think it's maybe my favorite drum machine to program, easy accent,swing & flam.. love switching from step to tap mode for real time input, pattern chain trigging and of course the dedicated knobs for level & sound shaping.. 808 programming is also big fun thanks to the instrument click wheel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post
My fave percussion sounds are a korg MS10 or 20. pick the noise source and make a percussive modulated bursting rhythm...
triggered from a drum machine in time!
i'm still learning the Ms-20 mini... but this sounds interesting, care to share a patch or two?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The Maestro Rhythm King. Can't forget this one! I already have the Sideman on my list but the Wurli Swinging Rhythm looks interesting too and I will also add the Sakata DPM48.

Here are some I can only find samples of, so I assume they are rarer.

Coron DrumSynth RDS
DeepSky Drumbox
Luxor Passat
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ pretty sure moby is hoarding most of those..

Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Bandbox, Sideman and doubles of Cr-78. and he doesn't switch them on. The DRM32 sounds tight too.
Old 27th October 2013
1) Linn LinnDrum
2) Akai MPC-60
3) Oberheim DMX
4) Roland R-8
5) Roland TR-808
6) Alesis SR16
7) Yamaha RX5
8) Korg DDD1
9) Sequencial Circuits TOM
10) E-mu SP-12
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Honestly, there are only 3 truly classic drum machines in my opinion. Meaning, shaped genres of music, and nearly created them.

LinnDrum
Tr 909
Tr 808

The rest are nice, but has nothing on these 3 machines.

And if I had to pick one drum machine that has had the longest lasting influence in popular music. I have to give it to the 909. Even TODAY in pop music, the bass drum is modeled off of that 909 thump and smack. People aren't using a lot of real 909s anymore, but the sentiment is still there.

808 next in line because the sound is constantly used in Hip Hop to this day.

Linn didnt have the staying power, but it was the original, and is on so many 80s tracks I would never be able to count them all.

All other drum machines to me are nice to have along w/ the top 3 I listed, but they aren't game changers. Yha, the DMX is nice, the 606 is cute, etc etc etc . . . but they just dont hold a candle to the kings ;-)
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ agreed although the 808 is imo more cult then the 909 cuz it spanned across more genres (has a larger crossover appeal).. and is of course a hip-hop cornerstone to this day..some sub-genres like trap music are even centred around it...anyways fwiw i have both and syncing them together is a match made in heaven.. always wanted a linndrum too but opted for tempest as a viable alternative, i also use a 707 for that faux-linn sound. i think the MPC60/3000 & SP1200 definitely also belong on the list.. btw good example of all the above layered is the intro of homework:

Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
Honestly, there are only 3 truly classic drum machines in my opinion. Meaning, shaped genres of music, and nearly created them.

LinnDrum
Tr 909
Tr 808

The rest are nice, but has nothing on these 3 machines.

And if I had to pick one drum machine that has had the longest lasting influence in popular music. I have to give it to the 909. Even TODAY in pop music, the bass drum is modeled off of that 909 thump and smack. People aren't using a lot of real 909s anymore, but the sentiment is still there.

808 next in line because the sound is constantly used in Hip Hop to this day.

Linn didnt have the staying power, but it was the original, and is on so many 80s tracks I would never be able to count them all.

All other drum machines to me are nice to have along w/ the top 3 I listed, but they aren't game changers. Yha, the DMX is nice, the 606 is cute, etc etc etc . . . but they just dont hold a candle to the kings ;-)
I would agree with you 100 percent. 909 is and was everywhere. Most the time it is processed to death but its there.
808 well what hip hop record did not use its kick and snare? even today its smashed all over hip hop tracks.
What else do we have?

Anyway to me a techno track sounds kind of dull with out a 909 playing.
To the other poster I actually think the 909 is the easiest drum machine to program. Very very simple in fact, and comparing it to my other drum machines this would have to be the most fun to program and edit on the fly. The real fun begins when you start playing with that decay knob on the high hat
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Nut

During last years I had a lot of drum machines. TR 808 is the best with a big difference, of course in my opinion. Love the 707, Linndrum 2 and DMX but nothing like 808... it's not only about how it sounds, is the groove, the triggers... it's alive...
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The groove is another thing that makes those machines classic, especially if you listen to Drexciya record and they are using the 808 as a master clock.
Old 27th October 2013
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
RZ-1 has the best clap ever...
and its lo-fi sampling has earned it a place in hop hop folk lore!

I have 1 but haven't given it much time yet - sampling drums through it is on my 'to do' list.

I own a MPC3000, keeps my drum needs very much in check.

I DO want to try out a Yamaha RX5 though.
Old 27th October 2013
my favorites are:

Roland CR-78 liquidy warm analogueness
Roland TR 909 nuff said
Emu SP-12/1200 lofi punch in the head (got one)
Akai MPC-60 same, downtempo deep house chill master (got s950 instead)
Linn Drum II
Oberheim DX
Fairlight IIx page R (small and portable )

very nice too but perhaps not my absolute fav:
TR808
Jomox 888

not machines but as sound modules only:

ADD ONE with ADD Drive
Simmons SDS V
Emulator III
Emax I rack
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
The groove is another thing that makes those machines classic, especially if you listen to Drexciya record and they are using the 808 as a master clock.
Agree. I used to think the groove was over hype. But after I got my 909 and set the groove to number 4, I then said to myself WTF its true groove its there.
Then I got excited and set the groove to its highest position, number 5 or 6 I think. That was just way way to much groove for anyone to bare
909 had so much groove, and can only imagine the 808 aint no different when it come to groove.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict
Looneytune: No shuffle on the 808. Swing can be introduced into the clock signal with something like Innerclock Systems SyncGen IIPro.

I love drum machines.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
Looneytune: No shuffle on the 808. Swing can be introduced into the clock signal with something like Innerclock Systems SyncGen IIPro.

I love drum machines.
Ahh there you go. Nutjob I am here in Redfern Sydney swinging a 909.
Have the Innerclock to, I actually met the guy behind the design. He came down to my studio. Cool guy and loves the 909 and 808.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
I am here in Redfern
Ha cool, I'm just over in Erko.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
Ha cool, I'm just over in Erko.
Ha ha you are such an Aussie, love how Australians just chop and cut words up.
Take it easy brother.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Agree. I used to think the groove was over hype. But after I got my 909 and set the groove to number 4, I then said to myself WTF its true groove its there.
Then I got excited and set the groove to its highest position, number 5 or 6 I think. That was just way way to much groove for anyone to bare
909 had so much groove, and can only imagine the 808 aint no different when it come to groove.
sup looney... just to clarify, what you are speaking of is swing/shuffle on the 909 a feature actually missing on the 808.. what the other dude meant by '808 groove' is that beats on the 808 spit out a snappy funky groove which is i'm sure one of the reasons it became so successful in hip-hop/booty/bass etc. it's a lot different then the jacky house shuffle on the 909... of course both are fantastic in their own departments
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

CR-78 and Linndrum are at the very top for me, at opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a Jomox 888 which is really good, can do a bit of both, but it doesn't wow me like the two classics...
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

For all those that dig LinnDrum... Tempest is really imo the next best thing... it's got LM-1 & LD kits but of course dozens of other kits (including 808/909), analog filters/compression/synth & of course that funky Linn sequencer..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search