The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
How good are the Motif's VCM effects?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

How good are the Motif's VCM effects?

Now that I'm fairly settled on my synth collection, I'm looking at fleshing out the FX portion of my setup. Since I already have a MOX8 workstation for rompler/DP duties, I was thinking about using it as an outboard effects processor as well, since it's actually set up pretty well to do this. It can play its internal sounds in voice/pattern/song mode while allowing audio-in to be processed simultaneously; the audio input and processed output have separate physical controls on the panel as well.

The question is, are the Motif's VCM effects adequate? I haven't really used effects much until now, so I don't have a good feeling how to judge them.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Bumpity. Nobody has used their Motif like this? I just tried it last night and I think it works pretty well. There's a plethora of effects types all of which have many parameters to tweak. I just don't know if I would get significantly more out of something like a Strymon or Eventide unit.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

i would assume that plugins could be at least as good if not much better that the Yamaha's without the extra DA/AD stage. i would scrap that idea personally unless you can do it digitally somehow. Also, since you need to delay compensate for that hardware insert you are adding more latency - undesirable. I know that the Motif XF (not sure about MO) has the Yamaha REV reverb algorithms which are good but def not the best. AGAIN, probably not wirth the DA and latency lmao.

I use all outboard, mostly analog synths and a completely analog summing and 2 bus chain for EQ and compresison, however, I use plugins for reverb and delay because they are getting really good and also i don't want the extra AD/DA or latency that hardware inserts OTB effects will introduce to my system. Relavb LX480 is a good place to start. Sample accurate to the real Lexicon 480L. For delay PSP 85.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Many regard them as unimportant and not the best out there but I reckon they are in the better range of the mid-level effects. Note that they put VCM in a lot of their products and using them is fairly simple. Part of that that the parameters you can change are limited to a lot of software effects but that also has it's charm you don't have to spend hours to tweak the effect. So they are not Eventide but as far as 24 bit FX go they get the job done.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Motif XF. The effects in general are very good. Yamaha has a long track record with digital FX, in the 90s their SPX and REV-X lines were very popular in studios and live PA rigs. The Motif processors are based on those units.

You get all the usual suspects, like tempo synched delays, a wide variety of choruses including a nice ensemble effect, decent guitar amp and Leslie emulations and some nice, smooth reverbs, envelope following filters, beat slicers/gates, etc.

I like them enough to mix inside the synth (recording only the final stereo output into a DAW).
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

yes when i had a motif i would also mix inside and get very good results, then record spdif out to pro tools. That was in 06.

HOWEVER, as i said the extra AD/DA and latency using it as an external FX processor makes it a bad choice when there are plugins available.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a Motif XS. The effects are OK, but I usually turn them off anyway.

I also have two SPX90's and a Rev7... I like those.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great info here, thanks! I think I will stick with the MOX VCM effects for now--sounds like they will be good enough and will reduce the number of boxes in my setup.

To mike vee, I didn't realize there was much latency involved in the AD/DA conversion, but being OTB I'm stuck with external HW for FX. I assume purely analog FX would solve this issue then? In that case I shouldn't be looking at Eventide or Strymon when it comes time for an upgrade, but more along the lines of EHX, MXR, Alekko, etc.?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

only latency with computer interface AD/DA unless you have a PCIe setup. I didn't know you were OTB. Lots of cheap and great FX boxes! They don't have to be analog, no.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search