The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Zoom MS-70CDR
Old 14th October 2013
Zoom MS-70CDR

OK, so this little box has come up in a few effects related threads with people mentioning it. However, I am wondering if anyone has one? All the demo's online are with guitar, and despite having just bought a delay lab I am GASing for this as it looks like it could be a great cheap and small pedal.

Anyone got one? Tried one? Saw one? Smelt one?

Be interested to hear how they compare to the infamous strymon pedals

Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi Nedavine,

I mentioned on Elektronauts that i have one & would try & make a little demo. I'll try & give it a go tonight, i'll play a few loops or arpeggios through it. I have a TC Electronic Fireworx, Eventide Space, Strymon Timeline/Mobius & i still think this little pedals sounds great among them. I'm not suggesting that it can do what those other fx can, but it certainly has its own uses & character & i'm really pleased i bought one. Thanks to you in fact, for bringing it to my attention. I probably should have bought the MS-100bt instead, as you can download & add new effects, but they're so cheap i might still get one in addition. As crazy as it might sound i actually like some of the Reverb fx more than the SPACE, which i think can be way too dense at times.
Old 14th October 2013
I'd really like a timeline but I just can't bring myself to spend that money on one pedal. Some of the demo's seem to suggest this might come close to some of the cooler strymon delays (such as ice).

Looking forward to hearing your demo (crazy appreciative). Literally hovering over the buy button lol.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm also looking forward to a demo of this that isn't all guitars. Almost bought it this weekend myself.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Sorry chaps, due to some unexpected issues i can't record any demos of the Zoom.

But i just wanted to mention that this pedal sounds better processing samples that contain lots of elements, as opposed to simple/single sounds, hits, synth lines etc. Although some of the Reverbs are really nice on basic stuff, but i'm not really liking it in isolation over my Slim Phatty. I'm enjoying it most when playing full (techno) tracks through it. Sorry i can't be any more help at this time.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
Sorry chaps, due to some unexpected issues i can't record any demos of the Zoom.

But i just wanted to mention that this pedal sounds better processing samples that contain lots of elements, as opposed to simple/single sounds, hits, synth lines etc. Although some of the Reverbs are really nice on basic stuff, but i'm not really liking it in isolation over my Slim Phatty. I'm enjoying it most when playing full (techno) tracks through it. Sorry i can't be any more help at this time.
No problem, thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful. I wanted to run it inline from my shruthi before going into the OT but if its not really gonna sound that good on a synth it might be best to leave it.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

No worries. Can you at least tell us how easy it is to max out the DSP? Only loading up 1-2 effects and hitting the limit sounds really annoying.
Old 22nd January 2014
Deleted User
Hey, I'm thinking of getting this pedal for my synthesizer. I really want an all-in-one pedal for those specific effects. Does anyone have any sound samples with the pedal and a keyboard? Or can you compare it to maybe a Roland RE-20 or similar? I'm mostly worried about a really fake digital sound. But if it's decent quality and realistic then I might just order one. This isn't really anywhere I can try it out locally unfortunately.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
Hi Nedavine,

I mentioned on Elektronauts that i have one & would try & make a little demo. I'll try & give it a go tonight, i'll play a few loops or arpeggios through it. I have a TC Electronic Fireworx, Eventide Space, Strymon Timeline/Mobius & i still think this little pedals sounds great among them. I'm not suggesting that it can do what those other fx can, but it certainly has its own uses & character & i'm really pleased i bought one. Thanks to you in fact, for bringing it to my attention. I probably should have bought the MS-100bt instead, as you can download & add new effects, but they're so cheap i might still get one in addition. As crazy as it might sound i actually like some of the Reverb fx more than the SPACE, which i think can be way too dense at times.
Lots of effects, like the ice delay, are available only on the 70CDR, and are not, as yet, available for the 100BT, this's May change in the future.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Xander, did you ever do a demo putting some of your synths through this piece of kit? Seems the only demos out there are guitar. How have you been liking it thus far?
Old 27th February 2014
Z6Z
Gear Maniac

I love it.
It has a nice range of (linkable) effects and it sounds good.

What I don't like is the endless encoders/knobs. Ghh. I hate those things. It's almost impossible to control the parameters in a live situation, imo.
Old 13th April 2014
I bought one recently and really like the delay options. I use it with guitar and also for my live electronic rig( fx send of the mixer) and it sounds decent...for the money it's awesome but as far as guitars go, im not too sure of how it will hold up against for example the carbon copy and memory man ( emulation vs real deal) would love to see some comparisons.
Old 13th April 2014
Lives for gear

The MS100BT has been updated (via the iphone app) to include all of the best MS70CDR algorithms like ice delay etc
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I got one, tried it on a range of my synths (Minitaur, microbrute, blofeld, Kurzweil k2000), and ended up returning it after about a week. It's definitely a good value - lots of effects, handles line level/synth signals well, some pretty good models in there - but in the end i just didn't love it. I'd say that the delays are definitely the best aspect of it - the chorus/modulation effects are pretty meh, and the reverbs are not bad, but not great either. I think it's a bit of an unfair comparison given their differences in price/capabilities, but I also have an Eventide H9 and when I compared them side to side the Eventide just utterly destroyed the Zoom - the modulations were richer and more vibrant, and the delays and verbs were far, far more '3d' and detailed. For instance - if i hadn't been A/B'ing them, the zoom version of the 'Black hole' reverb might have sounded OK, but in direct comparison it sounded really cheap and muddy. As far as 'traditional' reverbs go, my TC electronic HoF reverb sounds much better as well.

But - while I didn't personally fall in love with it, I can still see how it could be a pedal people like quite a bit; it's well made, and there are certainly a good number of interesting sounding and fun effects in there which have their own sweet spots, even if they're a bit narrower than that in more schmancy gear. There are certainly many other much less good multieffects out there, and honestly considering that vanilla digital delays like the Boss DD-5 cost the same as the MS70, I can totally see it being a worthwhile purchase as a delay pedal+ some other cool ****. Just don't go into purchasing it thinking that it's going to perfectly match some strymon or eventide algorithms, because it's not quite there - I think that the emulations of the more 'unusual' delays and verbs (blackhole, 'ice', shimmer, etc) are where it falls flat. But whatever - it's still a cool pedal and an inventive user could likely get tons of great **** out of it. Anyway, just my two cents, as someone who had a lot of the same questions as you regarding the pedal/using it with synths - I should have recorded a few audio demos with it, but I was lazy...
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstur View Post
Hey, I'm thinking of getting this pedal for my synthesizer. I really want an all-in-one pedal for those specific effects. Does anyone have any sound samples with the pedal and a keyboard? Or can you compare it to maybe a Roland RE-20 or similar? I'm mostly worried about a really fake digital sound. But if it's decent quality and realistic then I might just order one. This isn't really anywhere I can try it out locally unfortunately.
Don't know if you live near a guitar center, but I sort of shamefully take advantage of their returns policy to try out all sorts of stuff - if it's not available in store, just have the pedal shipped to the store and then return it if you don't dig it; you'll be out a few bucks on shipping, but at least you'll actually be able to see how it sounds with the gear you have. Plus i feel no guilt about never actually keeping the stuff I get from there because, you know, guitar center. Alternatively, you can just go with Sweetwater (which is where I usually buy whatever new gear I'm looking for, since I like em + you get warranty and shipping free). Again, it doesn't really cost that much to ship stuff back, and you get to try the gear out for a few weeks and actually see if it works for you or not.
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Guru
Am I the only one that's an "Eventide skeptic" ... I've used really nice Lexicon racks in the past.. and always thought they sounded "too good".

Can Eventide sound "punk" ?
I like the MS-70CDR ... but I also have a Roland D-550 and find that "shimmer" effects on any machine sound tacky, forced and dumb.. I'd rather actually play the notes instead of fishing for harmonic random prettiness..
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Am I the only one that's an "Eventide skeptic" ... I've used really nice Lexicon racks in the past.. and always thought they sounded "too good".

Can Eventide sound "punk" ?
I like the MS-70CDR ... but I also have a Roland D-550 and find that "shimmer" effects on any machine sound tacky, forced and dumb.. I'd rather actually play the notes instead of fishing for harmonic random prettiness..
Yeah, shimmer is pretty tough to use without heading a little too deep into the 'music from the hearts of space' windham hill zone. My personal taste in music is definitely closer to psychedelic/abrasive/'punk' than to straight dance/instrumental synth music, and I've personally found the H9 to be an amazing tool; to be fair though, I do usually use it in a chain AFTER using a lot of other effects to dirty up the sound (distortions, analog filters, etc), but I find that it can not only smooth out/class up nasty sounds, but also can do some pretty weird stuff if you push it (and it ALWAYS remains interesting and usable pretty much no matter where you have the settings). As far as gnarly sounds go, you can do all manner of awesome and weird sounding stuff with the pitch shifting features (fr instance, being able to select between an array of more clean and modern or older/glitchier algorithms), using the selectable bit rate on the vintage delay model with a 1-15ms delay time to get sample rate reduction/weird stereo effects, and I personally love using the tape delay in a similar way with the saturation/tape distortion all the way up to get a smeary stereo effect. Mangleverb is also very cool, though it does kinda sound the same no matter what you put into it in a lot of settings.

FWIW I think that if I didn't already have the H9 i would definitely have kept the ms-70 - I just sort of got it on a whim, and then realized it was basically redundant. I know what you mean regarding the 'too good' sound - of course, since most of my synths aren't that fancy, sometimes it's cool to get that 'holy ****, this sounds EXPENSIVE' vibe. But I do think that where the high quality of the Eventide comes into play is the fact that you can reaaaaally push the algorithms into unusual/awkward places and they remain usable (and then definitely dont sound overtly lush and fancy or whatever).
Old 13th April 2014
Gear Guru
yeah.. that's what I was afraid to hear.

I've heard some Eventide verbs that have a certain detune to them... sound amazing.. I don't want to believe!!!

EDIT: Damn!! the H9 is very affordable!! I thought you were talking about one of the 1U racks.
Old 13th April 2014
Lives for gear

Does the ms70cdr allow you to use more than one chorus algo at a time?
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

Just picked one up, and I gotta say it sounds excellent for the money. I was looking for exactly what it does- a little chorus, delay and reverb to put on an Ambika.

I would be really thrilled if Eventide made a pedal with multiEFx.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
The MS100BT has been updated (via the iphone app) to include all of the best MS70CDR algorithms like ice delay etc
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Off to update my 100...
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

You have to get the stomp share software on iphone. Some of the effects are not free, but ice delay is
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Guru

be worth hearing one with a passive blender. also be good if there was a pedal which could initiate sets of program changes with paired bluetooth pedals. parallel capability with a few effect types to alter gain and phase would be good too.
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
also be good if there was a pedal which could initiate sets of program changes with paired bluetooth pedals.
That would be cool but the latency of Bluetooth would make it pretty frustrating to use..

RB
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
That would be cool but the latency of Bluetooth would make it pretty frustrating to use..

RB
not sure what the latency is on BT. but if Zoom are intending on starting to use it on pedals, then it could still be handy for studio situations. and maybe they should be the logical ones to make the pedal. I wish someone would make a programmable passive blender using those settable potentiometer chips. but that's another story I guess.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
not sure what the latency is on BT. but if Zoom are intending on starting to use it on pedals, then it could still be handy for studio situations. and maybe they should be the logical ones to make the pedal. I wish someone would make a programmable passive blender using those settable potentiometer chips. but that's another story I guess.
I believe it's about 150ms. I guess that's why Bluetooth has rarely been utilised in pro audio even though it's been around 20 odd years...

Maybe one could use Wi-Fi instead? The "program change" controller pedal could act as a Wi-Fi router with any compatible pedals connecting to that?

RB
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
I believe it's about 150ms. I guess that's why Bluetooth has rarely been utilised in pro audio even though it's been around 20 odd years...

Maybe one could use Wi-Fi instead? The "program change" controller pedal could act as a Wi-Fi router with any compatible pedals connecting to that?

RB
150ms seems ok for prog changes. though not exact for sure.

TC are doing the pedal patch transmission, by placing your iPhone over your pickup.
so maybe they are using the audio band. not sure how digitech do it.
maybe Wifi. mm maybe BT has less audio artifacts than Wifi. hard to say.
I guess if you pair a BT device, the protocol will ignore any other signals.
whereas Wifi might keep scanning.

btw, the none BT pedals all seem to have a mini USB input. I believe you can power them off those. not sure if you get access to the extra stomps using it though. seems silly for them not to leverage that. unless, they want to give a degree of differentiation to the range. so they don't mention it.

you wouldn't happen to know if the dual graphic in these things needs a physical stereo input would you ?
and if it feeds the stereo reverb in stereo.

I'm figuring out which one to be the best candidate for a purchase.
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Guru

I did a breakdown yesterday, which may be of some general use to know.

The 50 & the 100 both now have exactly the same base FX as standard. = 100

The CDR has around 50 FX the other 2 don't have and
the 50 & 100 have around 60 the CDR does not.

Stompshare only works with the 100. I've no idea how many alternate FX are in the store.
the zoom distributor in the UK doesn't have that list either.

The 50 is the only one with a mono in.
Old 29th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the breakdown. I've also read user reviews of various complaints of an unmusical noise with the 50 and 100, but I understand that issue to be in the amp model. If that's the case, one should be able to remove the amp model from the effect chain.
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Guru

I think lots of people are keeping the speaker sim active while driving an external amp.
I've heard one very good example of their use, but I don't know if the reason it was good was,
because it either had the speaker sim active (or) because his amp was a high class boutique Amp and he had everything set up just so. most other examples showed some issues with some noise as you up the gain on the internal Amp sims. a mixture of fury highs and slightly granular mids. but you often get some thing or another with amp sim pedals.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search