The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio amp
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Studio amp

Hey guys so whats a good amp to power up my ns10's with?

Thx
Nebula
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Bummer :(
Old 15th October 2013
I have an old Roland SRA-50 9.5" amp in my room, but I don't have NS10's.
With my KRK ST6's it sounds quite good - but I don't have golden ears either...

Before that I used to have an even older Sony hifi amp, which was great for using with two different pairs of speakers (Tannoy PBM 6.5 in my case).

For me it's important to know my speakers in and out, so I listen to a lot of commercial music on them as well as my own stuff.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hafler DH120 or Hafler DH220. These are outstanding amplifiers and can often be found on Ebay for under $200.00. You could also look for a CROWN XLS 202. These were discontinued about five years ago, but they are decent sounding Class A/B amps. Another option is a Bryston 2B 0r 3B.
Can't go wrong with that Bryston power. But a little pricey. The Haflers will get you there, and very nicely. I own three of them and I love the sound.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yea i didnt know what exactly to use i was going to go the alesis ra-100 route but i was advised in another forum not to, i didnt know how important the amp was, i though it was all about the speakers!
Im like a kid in christmas with a new toy but no batteries :(
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero View Post
Yea i didnt know what exactly to use i was going to go the alesis ra-100 route but i was advised in another forum not to, i didnt know how important the amp was, i though it was all about the speakers!
Im like a kid in christmas with a new toy but no batteries :(
Actually, it IS all about the speakers. The speakers are huge in the equation. But decent power is also important. That's why I didn't recommend any thin sounding chip amps. Lot's of great new discrete pro amp stuff out there too, but not cheap. The older AB stuff that I mentioned is warm, hi fi, and punchy. perfect for those NS10M's... But also consider that speaker crossovers and drivers change over time. Caps wear out, and that can change the result. There are some excellent powered studio monitors out there that will give you the results that you are after sonically for referencing your music. I have some Mackie 624's. Very detailed and you can set them to be very flat like the NS10's. ADAM makes some really good stuff, and also Genelec. Also, don't ignore the JBL studio monitors,,
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Well i have some Yamaha HS50's in my studio and i love them, i even have the set up like ns10's.
I was going to set up the ns10's in a separate jam room that i have, so i figured they would serve a good purpose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search