Best music for doing homework?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 14th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by channaD View Post
When I was in high school, I would select a certain album for a subject. Every time I would sing the songs of that certain album, all the information I studied would come to the front of my mind. It worked out very well. Good luck!
well, THAT's something which makes sense.

But did you listen to the music, originally, for a FIRST READ of the material, or when REPEATING?

When trying to MAKE SENSE of something difficult, silence is best
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Guru

How do you acquire taste in the first place?
To me that is a good point to discover when you are getting old: if you're no longer open to new music.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I used to tackle broken server mainframes with Authecre's 'Draft' album in my ears.

Other sounds I'd play for concentration would be Mùm, Four Tet, Tim Hecker and more.
Aphex Twin's Ambient vol2 (pictured way above) is a pretty worthy contender for listening in between tasks for me - I find I can just clear my mind from a couple mins listen with my eyes closed

I can listen to just about anything just so long as it doesn't have prominent vocals (for concentration).

Silence is best for exam revision though as the human mind tends to recall things better in similar situations as to how they were learned!
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by channaD View Post
When I was in high school, I would select a certain album for a subject. Every time I would sing the songs of that certain album, all the information I studied would come to the front of my mind. It worked out very well. Good luck!
great idea, I have made it but so conciously, works wonders, specially for maths with ambient music.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Well , we're getting dangerously off-topic...

Well, not so dangerously - if anyone's looking to this thread to increase their ability to study, this is still relevant to them.

Quote:
but : you need to cycle it, a couple of days off every week. And a few weeks off every couple of months. Also many racetams have an inverse shaped bell curve effect, where more starts becoming less and less. And choline is actually not really necessary for many people ( unless you experience headaches and brain fog, wich could also simply means you need to lower the racetam dose in the first place)

Thanks - I think the choline is always going to be necessary unless your diet already has a lot of it in it; I think you need like 5 eggs a day or something to get the ideal amount, particularly if you're running a racetam regime. I like it even on its own just because it makes my head feel really clear, and for $15 at my local health food store that's a better return on investment than Starbucks or whatever (still like my coffee too though).

I went off the Pram for like a month when I ran out and the store I ordered from lost my order. Even since going back on it, I haven't seen the dramatic increase in focus, emotional stability and self regulation that I had the first time around. I really thought I'd found the wonder supplement. I'll try fiddling with the dosage.
Old 14th October 2013
Silence is intolerable. It makes any sound, the wind, my dog snoring, a snack wrapper opening, that much more disturbing.

Also, the vitamin/supplement industry is one of the biggest cons of our lifetimes. If you look at real research done by scientists and not by these so called "experts" typically hired by the manufacturer, the results are startling. Save your money and eat sensibly.

If you want to get better at focusing, practice focusing.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Aimee Mann - soundtrack to Magnolia

perfect to study to, I did my whole thesis at univeristy listening to this CD. blocks backhround noice without disturbing too much.
Old 14th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Still, almost 20 years later, this is the album I put on in my car after a rough day.

Those guys absolutely KILL IT, live. You think that a lot of their sounds are from synths when you listen to their albums, especially Evil Empire. But then you see Tom Morello doing it on his guitar before your eyes. So good. I'm going to go listen, now.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
Oh yea one more thing is supplementation, good diet, long walks, and prayer.

This is been the biggest game changer for my mental capacity.

Maybe try something like this?

Lion's Mane ~500mg in the morning ~500mg at bedtime
1g sulbutiamine
750mg aniracetam
1g bacopa
4g piracetam
400mg Pyritinol
800mg CDPcholine
5g fish oil
1.2g flax oil
2g hempseed oil
150mg picamilon
500 mg phosphatydiserine matrix w/ 100 mg PS
probiotics
I doubt that this is legal. :-(

beside the fact that such things are offtopic, I think that this kind of advice given to a totally strange person is somewhat ... idiotic esoteric. most is this stuff is simply bull**** and the other part works because of the placebo-effect.

stay away from experiments with chemistry. and dont tell it would be not chemistry but nature ... what is nature other than the biggest chemistry industry on this planet?

the whole list looks like a Walter White shopping list ...
Old 15th October 2013
@Everyone who has shared music-
I'm going down the thread in order and finding new things I and being reminded of others I already know but fell through the cracks...

Quote:
How do you acquire taste in the first place?
To me that is a good point to discover when you are getting old: if you're no longer open to new music.
@Yoozer-
I'm 42, and finding new music is what this thread is all about, just cleverly veiled in the context of homework hehe...once again you nailed it. You wouldn't happen to be an old married dude with kids that isn't dead inside yet, would you? That would explain a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
Oh yea one more thing is supplementation, good diet, long walks, and prayer.

This is been the biggest game changer for my mental capacity.

Maybe try something like this?

Lion's Mane ~500mg in the morning ~500mg at bedtime
1g sulbutiamine
750mg aniracetam
1g bacopa
4g piracetam
400mg Pyritinol
800mg CDPcholine
5g fish oil
1.2g flax oil
2g hempseed oil
150mg picamilon
500 mg phosphatydiserine matrix w/ 100 mg PS
probiotics
That's like twenty more things, and none of them are what I asked for. I am pretty content with my mental capacity. As stated earlier in the post, I'm 42 years old. I also happen to be in the honors program and in the top 8 percent of my University overall GPA wise. No supplements, but I have been known to consume yogurt daily, and over 100 oz of water as well.

Oh yeah-
I supplement with lots of hemp, but something tells me my delivery method is more fun...
(no need to censor me I'm in Oregon, completely medical and legal)

Prayer?

@Bassx:

Quote:
well, this thread is pretty pointless, there are only subjective suggestions...
you can't change someones musical taste
So you have dropped in on this thread twice now, and it's pointless to you...hmm...
And none of the suggestions have been too far off from my list in the OP. And who asked to have their taste changed? Are you only capable of liking what you like and that's it? Wouldn't want your tastes to change or anything...

As the OP, thanks again to all those who 'got the point' and contributed. There's some really great stuff on here so far, keep 'em comin!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd go w/ Chopin + Aphex Twin SAW 1+2.

As for supplements, coffee is all you really need.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Avoid music with lyrics in your native language.
At least I notice it with myself, as soon as there's a song in German on my playlist, I get distracted.
Try it out.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

I find serenity in Jazz pianists, its usually both mentally stimulating and relaxing.
Something like Keith Jarrett who does alot of improv and takes you on a journey ;

Good for stimulus. During the work i'd say some Ambient drone stuff really helps you to lock right in and give 100%. I don't have any names sorry !
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedme View Post
I find serenity in Jazz pianists, its usually both mentally stimulating and relaxing.
Something like Keith Jarrett who does alot of improv and takes you on a journey ;

Good for stimulus. During the work i'd say some Ambient drone stuff really helps you to lock right in and give 100%. I don't have any names sorry !
Spor? Is that you?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut
I used to do all my programming assingments in college with hatebreed playing in my mp3 player. I could never really understand the vocals and the rest of the music was like upbeat noise than anything else. I'd just cruise through my projects, not get distracted by other people in the computer lab, and ended up with some good grades.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I liked a lot of the ambient stuff listed here when I was studying. Also a lot of neoclassical stuff like Stravinsky and Stockhausen worked well for me-it was engaging, but not lyrical or distractingly melodic, which are what I find usually breaks my concentration. On the same token, some straight noise (Merzbow, etc) or death metal at low volumes are also pretty effective for giving my brain auditory stimulus that doesn't require direct attention.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd listen to drum & bass, techno, house and electro, while doing homework. Stuff with minimal or no vocals. Heavy beats and bass aren't distracting to me at all.
Old 15th October 2013
Ham
Lives for gear

Old 15th October 2013
Anomalous Disturbances works quite well for my purposes, and I dig unique process like that too...

@stevism:
We are cut from the same sheet of vinyl buddy, your list is mostly stuff I already love so I'm sure I will dig the ones that are new to me.
Except that one emo band lol, but hey I'm too old for that
At least I listened to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
This is brilliant! Everyone here should click on this link...
Looking quickly through the playlists of each episode was enough to know I'll like stuff on it and hear stuff I've only heard of but not heard yet.

To those that have suggested silence, have a few kids and you'll find that your silence only comes when there is music blasting over the relentless cacophony that family life is...
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I doubt that this is legal. :-(

beside the fact that such things are offtopic, I think that this kind of advice given to a totally strange person is somewhat ... idiotic esoteric. most is this stuff is simply bull**** and the other part works because of the placebo-effect.

stay away from experiments with chemistry. and dont tell it would be not chemistry but nature ... what is nature other than the biggest chemistry industry on this planet?

the whole list looks like a Walter White shopping list ...
It's all legal, and I guarantee you the nootropics on that list are anything but placebos. And things like choline are just the building blocks that your body uses to make the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, nothing sketchy there. You're just giving the brain more of the fuel it's always using. There's a reason all this stuff is big with psych/neuroscience/bio students, and it's definitely not because there's no effect or research to back it up.

As for chemistry experiment...the list he posted is insane and probably like punching your kidneys, but it's not all like that. It's easy to look at the smart drugs scene and be creeped out by it, and it's certainly not for everybody. If you're cool just being you, then by all means roll with it.

But my take is, if you're doing anything that doesn't make you feel like you, then you're doing it wrong. When it's worked well for me, I've just felt like I was at my best; well rested, clear, focused, energetic, positive, ready and willing to do what my life needed. Not amped up like I was on adderall or whatever. I certainly felt a hell of a lot better than when I smoked pot for years, which I would never recommend as a lifestyle to anybody.

A lot of it can just be understanding what your brain uses to function adequately and seeing where your diet doesn't provide that. Other things like racetams are not necessarily well understood, but the effects are powerful and largely neuroprotective.

In short - I would never tell anybody they should try any of this, particularly if you're not willing to put in a good deal of research. But at the same time, it's probably not what you think.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Richard Branson is quoted as saying he signed Mike Oldfield because he could get lots of work done when Tubular Bells was playing.
Says a lot about Branson i know but you get the point.

For me its Groove Salad ..Soma FM...in the Ambient section of iTunes Radio
Groove Salad on SomaFM: A nicely chilled plate of ambient beats and grooves. - Commercial-free Ambient/Electronica Radio from San Francisco
Groove Salad is amazing, it's what really got me into wanting to make electronic music. But their selection has a lot of vocals and percussion in it, so I find their Drone Zone channel works a lot better for the purposes of fostering total focus.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
@stevism:
We are cut from the same sheet of vinyl buddy, your list is mostly stuff I already love so I'm sure I will dig the ones that are new to me.
Except that one emo band lol, but hey I'm too old for that
At least I listened to it.
haha awesome! glad we share some common tastes.

just curious which is the "one emo band" ? wasn't aware that any of them were but i admit in high school i was slightly into that music so it would make sense lol
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
haha awesome! glad we share some common tastes.

just curious which is the "one emo band" ? wasn't aware that any of them were but i admit in high school i was slightly into that music so it would make sense lol
Circa Survive - Juturna...just too much like that whole Promise Ring/Dashboard scene...there's a girl involved lol...I'll never like emo.

Everything else on that list is gold
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
Circa Survive - Juturna...just too much like that whole Promise Ring/Dashboard scene...there's a girl involved lol...I'll never like emo.

Everything else on that list is gold
haha the lead singer is anthony green, he's done a few different acts ("the sound of animals fighting" being the most experimental and coolest thing i think he's been involved in, while he's not the only vocalist) but he does sing in a high range

i can totally see how they could get that rep though, but it's their latter music for me that ruined it. i was into them when they were touting this first ep and still kind of local to philly, i lost track of them after their second lp

just sharing this track in case anyone is interested in hearing it, sorry if it's OT at this point

Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Dude, you should have suggested Shpongle...I heard them for the first time since posting this thread. I've been wearing out Are you Shpongled? AMAZING!

Would have been a much better suggestion than Rage in this context ROFL.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

First shpongle album yes, thes following have too many bombastic momments and are distracting. Maybe even a selection of the best atmospheric tracks from all albums.

Also the ast album is lesss epic, so more easy to concentrate while listening to it. It ceates great ambience too.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
well, THAT's something which makes sense.

But did you listen to the music, originally, for a FIRST READ of the material, or when REPEATING?

When trying to MAKE SENSE of something difficult, silence is best

I would have the music on for a first read. It wasn't blasting, just always in the background.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Reich's Music for 18 Musicians puts me in a very clearheaded alert but calm space which is great for mental work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search