The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg DW-8000 Repair Questions
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Korg DW-8000 Repair Questions

Hey, I have a Korg DW-8000 and the tuning slider doesn't work. It doesn't do anything. Is this an easy fix? Any estimates of what it might cost?

Also sometimes when I'm playing, every once in awhile it seems like only one oscillator will sound when I hit random notes. I'll be playing and hearing a normal detuned 2 osc sound, and then upon a random strike it'll sound thin and single until I play another key, like the one osc temporarily isn't "catching." Any idea what this might be? It's not the same keys, it's completely random.

Thanks for your help!
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

This would be a pretty simple fix, just about any semi-competent tech who works on guitars/amps should be able to handle it. It either is a bad solder joint or pad or the slider itself has failed. Worst case scenario: $15 part: Slider Potentiometer + 1 hour bench time tops = I would guess a $75-100 repair

As for the oscillator issue, I doubt it is random. If you play any 8 notes successively I would suspect that one of those notes played will be missing one oscillator, and 8 more presses will result in the same...etc. This is most likely a hardware issue, probably a VCA would be my guess. More scientific diagnostics would be required to pinpoint the issue.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Rad, thank you! The tuning thing is the more obnoxious problem and that doesn't sound too bad at all as far as repairs. I'll look more into the oscillator issue.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

You should just get the tuning adjusted to stay in tune, and then break the ****er off. Of all the controls to put in that one-parameter-at-a-time synth, they choose to add in a tuning switch that mostly serves to get accidentally moved while you're playing. :(
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search