The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What's this chord progression?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

What's this chord progression?

I really like this chord progression, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Could someone transcribe it?

Here are two examples.

0:00-0:15

0:00-0:07
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

bump
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

And iiiiiiiiii wanna fall in love (Chris isaak) same chords prolly different key...

Not near my instrument now but that's a Dorian 1-7-4, only the first chord is minor the other two major... If in Am, that's Am-G-D
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

First tune is Bm-A-E (now that i listen to it, i was right on chords but Id say E is the key so Mixolydian 5-4-1, same thing diff key)

second tune Cm-Bb-F
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmockett View Post
First tune is Bm-A-E (now that i listen to it, i was right on chords but Id say E is the key so Mixolydian 5-4-1, same thing diff key)

second tune Cm-Bb-F
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Why thank you sir
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not near my instrument now but that's a Dorian 1-7-4, only the first chord is minor the other two major... If in Am, that's Am-G-D
umm...there is no Dorian mode from A minor....Modes are always developed from the major key, not minor.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

The first one is somewhere between A and G. The second I would guess a Wbm7th.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

razor youre correct but most musicians would know what i mean... Not many people say we're in the key of A dorian...
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I think that it's a 7-6-3 progression within a Phrygian mode. Can someone prove me wrong?
Old 14th October 2013
Second one is a simple Cm, Bb, F. This would be in the key of F.

The first one is similar and in the key of E. But I hear the chords as being D, A, E. Listen to the bass notes to decide whether that is a D or a Bm, but I would chose D. On a guitar I would play a Dsus9.

There is extra coloration from what sounds like chords being layered at a 5th interval which adds a bunch of notes to make it sound like jazz chords. I call these Poly chords, where you intentionally layer different chords against each other to get interesting colors without having to think to hard about what you are doing...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search