The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Any recommendations on a Synth for M83 type music
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Any recommendations on a Synth for M83 type music

So I've done a ton of research on the M83/Empire of the Sun/Washed Out/Atoms for Peace synth setup and can't narrow down a synth for this type of music. I went to GC and played a lot with different synths. The DSI Prophet 12 and the Nord Stage 2 seem to stand out with the MicroKorg XL following. I know the production (layering/reverb) is a huge part of these bands sound but am looking for the right synth now.

My concern with the Prophet 12 is that it doesn't seem smooth enough but it's a beast with a great arpeggiator

Nord isn't analog but has some great synths

MicroKorg XL is pretty great but doesn't have tons of sounds (would be limited)

Any thoughts/recommendations are super appreciated
Old 13th October 2013
So is your goal to sound like them?

Watch their music videos and live videos, they show their synths in them. Also google for M83 interviews. You should be able to find your answer.

Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
So is your goal to sound like them?

Watch their music videos and live videos, they show their synths in them. Also google for M83 interviews. You should be able to find your answer.

The goal isn't to sound like them ... the synth will be for my studio. I certainly googled this and I watched tons of live videos and I read that they sample their analog synths for live. I also watched the above video but couldn't take anything really away from it per se ... thanks for the response
Old 13th October 2013
I would assume it has to do with creative patches, eq, processing, sampling, ect.

Probably a lot of pro methods they use to come up with their sound.

You might be able to get their sound with what you have.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Get something with more character. The new SEM, perfourmer, modular, etc. new DSI is just OKAY (M83 uses it though) but for those sound you need character over features.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

thanks for the responses ... I actually don't own any synth now and I'm sure there is no end all be all synth for this type of music. I'm checking out the SEM now ... pretty cool
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you are starting out you can't really go wrong with one of the Microkorg type synths. Incredible value for money, massively flexible and they even sound pretty good to boot. Don't worry about the presets, just use them as starting points.

Couple that with the stock DAW effects or some cheap pedals and that would be more than enough to keep you going for ages.

Leave the expensive synths for later. Start small and cheap and experiment.
Old 14th October 2013
well there is quite a list of different artists you have listed there but they are similar and I would personally recommend a Prophet 08 alongside a decent FX unit/s...ideally you would want a reverb and modulation unit and the Strymon stuff looks fantastic as well as eventide - but its costly...Take a look at the new Zoom MS 70 CDR pedal which does it all for a knock down price...sounds decent place to start...You might find the Prophet 12 is a bit more aggressive sounding due to its digital Osc and the 08 is more suitable and cheaper...M83 uses one also...I would go for a poly synth you can play chords on...
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapedseams View Post
If you are starting out you can't really go wrong with one of the Microkorg type synths. Incredible value for money, massively flexible and they even sound pretty good to boot. Don't worry about the presets, just use them as starting points.

Couple that with the stock DAW effects or some cheap pedals and that would be more than enough to keep you going for ages.

Leave the expensive synths for later. Start small and cheap and experiment.
Any recommendation for good "cheap pedals" that work great on synths?
Old 14th October 2013
Thom York uses a prophet-8 on staircase but that's radiohead. No idea what AFP uses.
The guy from M83 uses a modular synth to get the weird repetitive loops going on songs like "midnight city".
The others In the band use midi controllers I believe and spds's for the synth drums.

Hope that helps a little...
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by br11san View Post
Any recommendation for good "cheap pedals" that work great on synths?
Well, I LOVE the current crop of Behringer analogue pedals (and I can't shut up about it). So far I have the Vintage Delay VD-400, the Chorus Space CC-300 and the Vintage Phaser VP-1. All are shameless, shameless copies of classic pedals. Bear in mind that I bought these cause i'm looking for very specific 'retro' sounds so YMMV.

Or buy a cheap 90s multi-FX on ebay. The Zoom 1201 is a lo-fi classic for example.

I don't think you mentioned what DAW you use, but Logic has endless pro-quality and FUN effects that come stock. I'm sure Garageband does too.

Honestly, don't worry about buying 'the best' until you've decided whether it's something you want to sink a lot of time and money into. The gear that's available for free (softsynths - assuming you have a computer and a DAW) or for very little (Microkorg et al.) is stunning. Not to mention the new crop of budget analogs.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

has anyone got a link to their gearlist - Id be interested to see. Amazing what little some have (and alternatively on the other side of that too) - M83 older stuff is quite different to the newer, friendlier sound. Earlier sound was reverb washed vocals and skittering beats, well sorta big and anchored but frenzied an the edges. Synths sound like early rolands put through a million guitar pedals - I wouldnt be surprized to see a huge pedal/fx board. Later stuff much richer production with lush instead of crunchy verbs. Their use of space in the later work I think is the key to their now sound. Theyre such an interesting band
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

i think m83's development is in tandem with their wealth

their first albums is obviously very lofi / full of bit crunchers / probably laptop based (i.e. self titled debut, dead cities, before the dawn heals us)

then on saturdays = youth, production has become much more high budget, emulating the 80s teenage movie soundtrack of yesteryear, so probably a lot of vintage analogs by now and also the modular that he can be seen touring with.

look at a video on pitchfork tv. there's one with him playing the p08 with a jag.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Some Kind of Wonderful

An older gear list at the bottom of that article.
He uses the Roland JX3p, JX305, and korg poly 61m the most. I heard that in an interview. Sounds about right. I hear the Juno 106 fluttering quite often too.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No idea what AFP uses.
Saw Atoms for Peace on The Daily Show last week, and Nigel was rocking a Prophet 8 and Ms20...
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think both M83 and Thom Yorke use the Monomachine and Machinedrum as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search