The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
$2,000 to burn, buying sample libraries...
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

$2,000 to burn, buying sample libraries...

Alright, so the title gives you most of it, here's the rest:

I'm getting into TV/film/videogame music and need some kick-ass orchestral sample libraries. I've listened to a whole bunch (a WHOLE BUNCH) of demos and am leaning toward either the EWQL or LASS 2.5 full (will also need percussion, brass and woodwinds).

My question is this: Which would you guys recommend for a first-time sample library user? I'm currently running PT 10 on an iMac 10,1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 ghz with 16gb of ram (10.6.8), though upcoming additions will probably be a current gen Mac Pro 6 core system (when they put the cans out so I keep mo money) and Logic Pro X.

Or is it all just more of a, "Get in the freaking water ya ******," situation?

Thanks in advance y'all. heh
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

You cant go wrong with Spectrasonics Omnisphere
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut
Albion, LASS 2, Symphobia 1-2-3, too many ...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Albion 1 and 3, and LASS

If you can't do it with that, you can't do it.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm a fan of EastWest's stuff (though they do get a bad rap 'round these parts). Their Complete Composer Collection is good value for the money.

Komplete 9 is also good value for the money, although obviously it includes a lot more than just orchestral stuff. But it can also be a very good starting point, since a lot of add-on libraries use Kontakt (included in Komplete).

One thing I would recommend is holding off on any purchases until Black Friday rolls around. Often there are really good deals to be had (i.e. 50% off-type deals).
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback all! And seriously, good GOD that 8Dio Bazantar track is... something explitively special. Mark Deutsch, you are a god among bassists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
I'm a fan of EastWest's stuff (though they do get a bad rap 'round these parts). Their Complete Composer Collection is good value for the money.

Komplete 9 is also good value for the money, although obviously it includes a lot more than just orchestral stuff. But it can also be a very good starting point, since a lot of add-on libraries use Kontakt (included in Komplete).

One thing I would recommend is holding off on any purchases until Black Friday rolls around. Often there are really good deals to be had (i.e. 50% off-type deals).
Great suggestions here, thanks! Considering my purchase isn't time sensitive, this is very helpful.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

check wavealchemy's stuff too

edit: sorry I assumed you were looking for electronic based samples, for orchestral sample check east west libraries
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
check wavealchemy's stuff too

edit: sorry I assumed you were looking for electronic based samples, for orchestral sample check east west libraries
I wouldn't rule out the synths myself. I've been picking apart the OST to Oblivion lately and really enjoyed the blend of string and synth arpeggiations throughout. It was a very powerful effect and one that I think masks a lot of the unnatural tambre inherent to sampled strings if used properly and tastefully.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Soniccouture | Advanced Instrument Design | Professional Sample Libraries for Kontakt Ableton Live Logic EXS24

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable blowing $2000 all on sample libraries though. Do you have any outboard FX processors? A well rounded sample library and an Eventide can go a very very long way.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
co-sign sovietspacechild 2 geez is a lot to burn on samples.

i`d rather go visit all my producer friends and bring a sixpack or two , leech samples of them, get drunk and still have money for some new synths
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Orchestral
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

$2k isn't *that* much to spend on sample libs, especially if one is going for higher quality orchestral stuff. Heck, Symphobia alone is an even grand.

That said, if one is just starting out, then spending about half that on something like EastWest's CCC, Komplete + Albion, or something similar is a good way to start.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm just saying, I'd stay away from East West Stuff.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Sampletank?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
$2k isn't *that* much to spend on sample libs, especially if one is going for higher quality orchestral stuff. Heck, Symphobia alone is an even grand.

That said, if one is just starting out, then spending about half that on something like EastWest's CCC, Komplete + Albion, or something similar is a good way to start.
That depends on what OP's goals are. If it's to sound like Hanz Zimmer, and other big name film composers, simply throwing money at sample libraries isn't going to do the trick.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
That depends on what OP's goals are. If it's to sound like Hanz Zimmer, and other big name film composers, simply throwing money at sample libraries isn't going to do the trick.
Hah so true. You'd have to record actual orchestras, develop custom software/samplers, oh yeah and most importantly, be a f****** genius.
Old 14th October 2013
BMD
Gear Nut

Project SAM is definitely worth checking out.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Oh yeah, no way am I going that route. I'm trying to get a set of tools in my hands that I can learn and grow with over the next 10-15 years, so I'm most interested in starting out correctly rather than wasting time on garbage that I'll toss out in a few months once I reach the edge of their limited capabilities. That said, $2,000 isn't very much at all. I understand that these samples won't be able to fool me (I've spent 20 years playing in orchestras as a bassist and cellist, so I kinda know how they actually sound:p) but I do want to create something passable that can be augmented by real players, when I have cause to work with them.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, you'd need a giant wall-modular and a copy of Zebra as well
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search