The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analogue mono synths - FX or not
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Analogue mono synths - FX or not

I'm looking to start a small spending spree soon and my wishlist has a couple of analogue options.

My question is, in a general sense, would you rather spend out on something like a bass station 2, mono Lancet or other such priced units and get a decent tube pre and fx like Eventide's Space

Or

Go for a higher priced (assumed: quality) mono like a Moog Voyager, Leipzig-S or PerFourmer - save to add fx later.

As a side note, I'm looking to get an OctaTrack soon which offers some FX to get started and I also have a few premium VST effects to use so it's less of a case of some fx vs vanilla sound.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Not even a vote-down, laconic or sarcastic comment...
I am amaze!

Is this question too broad, too obvious or other perhaps?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

If you can, go for a higher end synth. You can always fiddle with software effects until you save up for the real boxes.
Old 13th October 2013
id go with option B... however none of those suit me as higher-end unit..

i much prefer Studio Electronic Boomstar to Vygr, Perforumer or Leipzig. in that price range you might even go get two off them. two entire synth voices with complementing filter. like 5089 (moog) and their SEM. or variation on that.

add space and or a BBD delay pedal later.. analog synths LOVE analog delays. match made in heaven

or just pickup one boomstar and go for space immeditaely. that still cheaper than voyager...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd go for synth X plus FX, but then I tend to optimize towards live playing. Eventide Space would be high on my list right now; already have a BBD delay and lowfi Alesis stuff.

FX would seem to be more versatile, but depends on your present setup.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I whittled down my synths in favour of getting 2 Octatracks and more fx and pedals. If you get an Octatrack you might feel differently about buying expensive synths, whilst getting more fx will always add some versatility.

Synth wise, the Perfourmer MKII is the only analog synth I'm still interested in.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
Not even a vote-down, laconic or sarcastic comment...
I am amaze!

Is this question too broad, too obvious or other perhaps?
Happy now?

I would rather a single Ferrari in my drive way than a fleet of Ladas.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

My setup is only a Blofeld desktop and Shruthi-1 at the moment.

I'm getting a Cirklon, OctaTrack and something analog. The idea is more spontaneity and actual recording - I've used Ableton for years and I'm a bit bored of working primarily ITB and have worked with hardware sequencers in the past.

I'm hoping to change up my Blofeld to a key model and am looking for a rack or desktop analog synth. This is mostly for space to use it all though so I won't rule anything out of the picture.

The synths I'm most interested in are the Vermona PerFourmer, AS Leipzig-s (sk if I don't get the Blo keys) or maybe a DSI Pro '08 (I know, quite polar opposites between the first 2 and Pro'08).

I'll need a standalone mixer to get all of this running so I've a figure left so as to get the analog device. I've got room to overspend but I'm trying to discipline myself.
So, right now, it'd be a choice between the PerFourMer or Mono Lancet & the Eventide Space.

I can obviously expand ITB but I'm looking to run a fairly focused OTB jamming station
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you for all the comments here guys & gals
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Happy now?

I would rather a single Ferrari in my drive way than a fleet of Ladas.
Ecstatic actually
Fair point too, though I'm more of Lotus guy lol
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Everyone that is into analogs should check out mutable instruments. Is my newish heaven - 6 voice polymoog? Mutable Instruments | Electronic music instruments
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Oh, and not looking to get all at once - is a sort of flight-path for the next 6-12 months.
Though, while I have the money, I might get a few at a time and store them
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, and not looking to get all at once - is a sort of flight-path for the next 6-12 months.
Though, while I have the money, I might get a few at a time and store them
Store them? What are you a squirrel?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Store them? What are you a squirrel?
Lol, yeah - it is winter in the UK...
More so to integrate, not plonk it all up at once then get frustrated, lost, etc.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

get a moog, oberheim, ota salen key ect synth in a mono in the shruthi- or the yellow wonder anushri sh101 synth with mc101 sequencing. And the mighty Ambika - anywhere from 1 to 6 voice poly with SVF (CS80), 4pm- oberheim, transistor ladder (moog), or his own smr4 which a of of people actually like it the best. Trent Reznor used them all over his latest - and that man uses quality only
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

get an AMbika!! and more shruthis!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

For $200 its incredible the sound that comes from them (shruth-1). Also his eurorack stuff is incredible.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 View Post
get an AMbika!! and more shruthis!
I would if I could solder - would need to buy built or find someone who'd do it for me as I'm useless with that stuff.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Teach yourself, thats what I did, took a while though.....

now I build euro modules! lol eurocrack
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't have a whole lot of use in my left arm at the moment, been that way almost a year; I'm thinking that if I found it tricky 20 years ago, I'm in for an elevated level of difficulty/frustration now
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

My question is, in a general sense, would you rather spend out on something like a bass station 2, mono Lancet or other such priced units and get a decent tube pre and fx like Eventide's Space

Or

Go for a higher priced (assumed: quality) mono like a Moog Voyager, Leipzig-S or PerFourmer - save to add fx later.
Option 1 is the best imo.
Get some good FX to go with your synths right away.

For many years i was content with just one alesis Wedge, but after getting some slightly better FX boxes (Yamaha SPX990 and Lexicon MPX-1, which are still just middle of the road) i have now realized that i should have gotten some better FX earlier.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

A great hardware effects unit can make any synth really sing.
I've probably spent much more on effects than synths, and couldn't be happier.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Eventide Space is top of my fx list; I've also got Jomox T-Res and Moonwind on the long-term wish list.

Would anyone care to share those or any other useful effects boxes for consideration? Verbs, distortion, delay and filters are of particular interest - I'm also looking for a decent tube pre so any suggestions on that would be amazing
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Also, a follow up thanks for people's comments - least not as I was so impatient at the start
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd go with option 1. After you get the Octatrack, you're going to want to sample as much into it as possible anyhow, and I know a lot of people claim the effects are the weakest part of the unit.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

So say I went with the Vermona Mono Lance & OctaTrack for instruments, I'd have money for FX - I'd estimate I could afford the Space and the T-Resonator.

Any tips on this sort of setup - or considerations not listed (other mono synths, FX, etc).
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
id go with option B... however none of those suit me as higher-end unit..

i much prefer Studio Electronic Boomstar to Vygr, Perforumer or Leipzig. in that price range you might even go get two off them. two entire synth voices with complementing filter. like 5089 (moog) and their SEM. or variation on that.

add space and or a BBD delay pedal later.. analog synths LOVE analog delays. match made in heaven

or just pickup one boomstar and go for space immeditaely. that still cheaper than voyager...
Looking at some used prices, I can get the Boomstar and Space for the same price as a Voyager RME. The PerFourMer interests me the most out of that lot due to its voicing options and chunky UI - I'll certainly check the Boomstar range out, I've only seen the Moog Boom' in the quick look I just had.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Same "problem" here. I'm considering SEM One voice (love the softsynth version, hopefuly will love the real thing even more) + ITB effect for now (UberMod, EchoBoy, ValhallaVintageVerb, Trash)
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

"I don't have a whole lot of use in my left arm at the moment, been that way almost a year; I'm thinking that if I found it tricky 20 years ago, I'm in for an elevated level of difficulty/frustration now "

Ah , OK then, sorry :(

re: effects you can get weird stuff for cheap ( alesis AirFx , kaoss pad KP1s) but Im not sure if they are any good or not
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

A mono synth wont need a tube pre or any pre really. Get a capable mono and an evebtide eclopse or h3000d/se

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search