The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Analogue mono synths - FX or not
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 View Post
"I don't have a whole lot of use in my left arm at the moment, been that way almost a year; I'm thinking that if I found it tricky 20 years ago, I'm in for an elevated level of difficulty/frustration now "

Ah , OK then, sorry :(

re: effects you can get weird stuff for cheap ( alesis AirFx , kaoss pad KP1s) but Im not sure if they are any good or not
For years, I used a setup for on-the-fly experimentation based around an Air Synth, Air FX, and KP3. I wouldn't consider them "good" effects-very limited, noisey things-but lots of fun. I'm still determined to mod the Air units to output midi, so they can be used as controllers, tho they might just be sold to help fund my OT.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
A mono synth wont need a tube pre or any pre really. Get a capable mono and an eventide eclipse or h3000d/se
Agree with this. A tube pre is a nice addition, but I wouldn't make it a priority just yet.
And both those Eventide's are killer, (though a bit more expensive). But either of those is like getting every Eventide stompbox in one.
Old 14th October 2013
Originally, I was going to tell you to blow everything on ONE absolute top of the line synth voice... There is a big part of me that still wants to give that advice, if only for longevity (build-quality) and resale (name brand) reasons.... Moog re-sells VERY well... However, effects, especially exotic ones like the Eventides and Lexicons of the world tend to obscure the finer details.... Moog sawtooth vs Massive(or Virus, or even cheap analog) BONE DRY...much simpler to tell the difference than after my H3000 gets ahold of it (crystal echoes!!!:-) ).

So, grab an H3/4000 and something cheap on your list.... You'll be very very happy in the short and long run!
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

I would like to venture that for better mileage if TS is already very experienced with a monophonic synth. Monophonic analogue/analogue modelling seemed all the rage now? TS would be spoiled for choice. Do consider acquiring a decent model then complement it with an effects unit. Polyphonic synth could come later. My 2 cents.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
A mono synth wont need a tube pre or any pre really. Get a capable mono and an evebtide eclopse or h3000d/se

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
the eventide h3000xxxxx - Ive never come across one but would the effects on one be the type of effects used ontop of the xpander in orange wedge?Chemical Brothers - Orange Wedge - YouTube
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
the eventide h3000xxxxx - Ive never come across one but would the effects on one be the type of effects used ontop of the xpander in orange wedge?Chemical Brothers - Orange Wedge - YouTube
Don't know what they actually used, but the H3000 could definitely do that sort of thing. It sounds like a heavy micro pitchshift.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I could get an Eclipse or H3000 but at the expense of the OctaTrack.
Maybe I have to find a way to be more spontaneous with my DAW.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
I could get an Eclipse or H3000 but at the expense of the OctaTrack.
Maybe I have to find a way to be more spontaneous with my DAW.
My view is that you don't necessarily have to buy the cream of FX processors (which the pricing on the Eventides suggests they are) but can already do a lot of good stuff with less than top end boxes.

Just stay away from the bottom end of hardware FX - and you could have both an octatrack and some nice processing to feed it through.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
My view is that you don't necessarily have to buy the cream of FX processors (which the pricing on the Eventides suggests they are) but can already do a lot of good stuff with less than top end boxes.

Just stay away from the bottom end of hardware FX - and you could have both an octatrack and some nice processing to feed it through.
I agree with the above.

+ Don't assume that top end fx are going to necessarily work/sound how you envisage. I'm not suggesting that top end fx aren't going to do incredible things but as with all things audio, you simply might not like how it sounds. I've just mentioned on a different thread that i prefer some of the Reverb fx from an £89 multi effects pedal to the Eventide Space pedal, which costs £400. I hated the character of my Lexicon PCM81 but loved the sound of my old TC Electronic M3000. Alesis Quadraverb / midiverb still tickles my golden era techno/warp sensibilities. Horses for courses.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think I'd rather the OctaTrack than H3000 or Eclipse - sacrificing the 'krux' of my spontaneous setup for the fx seems a bit of a shame.

I'll definitely spend a bit more time looking into it all.

Continued thanks for all the comments.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

The Octatrack alone will have you laughing/weeping maniacally. & whilst the Octatrack Fx aren't AMAZING, the fact that you can automate/Plock them on every step is really good fun, & then you can re-sample the lot onto 1 track & begin again. Get an OT first & see how far that takes you. My GAS/Gear wants list reduced massively after getting an Octatrack (although i now have 2)
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Analog synth & analog chorus pedal. Match made (not in Heaven), but the 5th dimension.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
My GAS/Gear wants list reduced massively after getting an Octatrack (although i now have 2)
Reduced, or refocused? Lol
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't sacrifice getting the Octatrack for effects.
While a good effects unit is great to have, you want some instruments to run them through first!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Octatrack, patch panel sem and kurzweil mangler

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Octatrack, patch panel sem and kurzweil mangler
How'd you feel about the Analog Solutions Telmark?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I had a Telemark V1, sounded great but went out of tune quickly.
Maybe the V2 is more stable.
SEM would be cool.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Reduced, or refocused? Lol
Yep, refocused is more accurate.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Moogerfoogers sound great with analog monos.
They also sound great on digital polys.

In any case, software effects do the trick as well. I would spend all my cash now to buy my favorite synth, work with software FX (if that is possible) and save money for FX units, later.
Old 15th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

My two cents:

1) get the best synth you can get, NOW.

Better synth will "teach you" better and will educate your ear and will make you better at using effects as well

You will discover how easy it is to do without chorus when the synth is just lush, etc

2) the better the synth, the less effects you need.

You won't need to waste effects just to "fatten" or "distort" or "give presence" or "equalize".

It will just sound fine on its own merit (analogue distortion by a VCA can't be matched. sweet... ),

except for:

3) later, start from the essentials and buy them of very good quality.

start from a very good reverb which will be able to handle the analogue's range and power,

than add what you still lack.

4) EXCEPTION to the above rule:

low-fi, use-once, see-if-this-works, ultra-cheap gadgets.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios View Post
Moogerfoogers sound great with analog monos.
They also sound great on digital polys.

In any case, software effects do the trick as well. I would spend all my cash now to buy my favorite synth, work with software FX (if that is possible) and save money for FX units, later.
I love your rig. Gives me nord gas.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Had a friend's Lead 1 years ago in the studio, then had another friend's NL2X which dit not have the grit the NL1 has. I waited till a lead 1 popped up and bought it. Regarding raw sound, its still my favorite digital synth to this date.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

as clusterchord mentioned, mono synths go along with BBD analog delays, a tape delay would also be a nice addition if you aspire those dynamics, right now i am using mono lancet and SEM with Moog analog delay pedal and Eventide Space reverb, not only i am getting some nice results but it's a great hands on experience..

if i were in your shoes i would go for the mono lancet and BBD analog delay combo, doesn't need to be a Moog analog delay, you have some cheaper and still awesome alternatives such as Malekko, as for the reverb you could use Valhalla plug ins (which are awesome) until you save up for the reverb hardware unit...

my 0.02c
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

The MF-104M is my next fooger for sure. Especially now that I have the Moog CP-251.
Old 15th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijome07 View Post
Analog synth & analog chorus pedal. Match made (not in Heaven), but the 5th dimension.
Moog SP/LP and an Ibanez SC10. Stunning... Only thing better than that is running that into the AD-230!
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Would anyone care to share those or any other useful effects boxes for consideration? Verbs, distortion, delay and filters are of particular interest
Some talk about verbs in the thread "Strymon BIG SKY Reverb" that you might be interested in ..
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't know what they actually used, but the H3000 could definitely do that sort of thing. It sounds like a heavy micro pitchshift.
Really? Ive been wondering for ever how they did that - funny how Bonham got me drumming from 15 years till today and that one track got me into synthesis...... So I must know how they did it - Id pay to hear someone try and create it - I doubt if they could...... Its an Xpander on lead apparently
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? Ive been wondering for ever how they did that - funny how Bonham got me drumming from 15 years till today and that one track got me into synthesis...... So I must know how they did it - Id pay to hear someone try and create it - I doubt if they could...... Its an Xpander on lead apparently
Yeah that's a killer track alright, and still sounds great.
Even if I had an Xpander I probably couldn't recreate that lead, it's pretty well done.
The effect does help with the presence that it has, but it's mostly just a cool sound.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Considering a well rounded poly analog like the Tempest coupled with some MoogerFooger's and manning-up to getting more out of using my DAW for sequencing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search