The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Strymon BIG SKY Reverb
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

So can anyone answer? Does the Big Sky cover EVERYTHING that the Blue Sky can do?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
this is a new demo video of the big sky using synths only. This is one of the best demos of this pedal i have seen. Watch it in hd.

gorgeous!
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Ot but how good is the el cap with synths?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Great. I have an El Cap V2.

Dude has a Therevox in that video. Such amazing sound.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Ot but how good is the el cap with synths?
Awesome, use it just with synth, it adds something special.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

I place the Strymon Big Sky above Eventide Space and H9 based on all demos I've heard and also based on the interface layout.
That said, I really do hope Sean Costello (ValhallaDSP) has the means, funds and will to jump into the hardware business.

Also, I'm inviting all of you to join this "Guitar pedals on Synths and Drummachines" Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/423621474388277/
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
That said, I really do hope Sean Costello (ValhallaDSP) has the means, funds and will to jump into the hardware business.
He kinda has... He made cartridge for the TipTop Z-DSP eurorack module, based on his software algorithms.

Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Well I don't know how feasible it is but I was hoping Sean would do a colour for the 500 series from diyre. Don't know if the dsp can fit size wise and power wise but if soooooo!!
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

How far is the blue sky from the PCM series as far as verbs go. I've never owned an outboard verb and I was thinking of getting the blue sky as there's one in the classifieds locally. Are they a real alternative to a lex?
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
How far is the blue sky from the PCM series as far as verbs go. I've never owned an outboard verb and I was thinking of getting the blue sky as there's one in the classifieds locally. Are they a real alternative to a lex?

Like light-ages!
When it comes to more realistic spaces and tonal magic... there's no real comparison with any pedal and a PCM unit. Plus the Lexicon sound has its own great personality.
The BigSky Hall/Room/Plate are just not in that league where you have many parameters you can really adjust to define your space rather than relying on preset hidden control tables doin' it for you, according to the factory programmer.
Not sure what your application will be but the fact strymon pedals, which are really nice devices, have a serious limitation in their poor +8dB input headroom!
Imagine working with pro-audio line levels or even in a line level gtr rig... how easy and likely will be to clip them!
For a 24/96 digital unit made today... it's like "what were they thinking?" when designing the product?
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Not sure of the argument in regards to these being the best bet for people who use them solely with the intention of being "in the box" devices, in say the realm of computer recording synths and what not, but as a guy who spends most of his time with guitars being recorded through amps and playing live, the Strymon gear is essential.

For me, I am a guitar player. I record at home, and my set up is mostly geared towards the practice of mic'ing amps and occasionally running direct for overdubs. I have a mixer at the the center of it all, not the computer (that is at the end of the line, as a tape machine would be). I also use a good deal of analog synths, but treat them mostly as one would a guitar- I do go direct for the most part with synths, and play most of what I record is performed in real time- though I will use midi to record a performance in a DAW (note on/off essentially) and record the synth playing back in real time through various pedals (Strymon Mobius, Time Line, and the Big Sky). I do the manipulation in real time, in regards to filter sweeps, or messing with the envelopes, or LFO's.

In this regard, I am beyond impressed with the Strymon gear. The quality is the best I have used, and in regards to my "workflow" (I see this word used a lot in synth talk) I couldn't be happier. It's obvious these are indeed "guitar pedals", and this is their strength... I don't think these would interest me if I were not looking for the immediate hands on hardware angle such "simplified" devices would offer if I were never going to use them on a stage, or in a "conventional" recording environment.

What I can say, is this unit is the tits combined with synths. These pedals have also enabled my particular band to open the sound we create to a host of new and exciting places. I run a stereo amp set up as well live, and it's like going to the moon at times. It's amazing to me that we can play a small club or venue and be able to create such vivid and multi-dimensional sounds with a standard 3 piece rock band... Adding some analog synths to our mix has also created a new palate to explore, and it's not just pride of ownership talking here, to say that the Strymon stuff has changed our lil band into something unique and for us, beyond previous expectations.

My point is, know what you want, but don't come down hard on the strymon folk for not being more in line with expectations of ITB production workflows, as that simply wasn't the intention. But for a dude like me, the crossover potential of being able to use them as sweaty, rock and sock'em effects pedals on my ugly floor unit, and then run an ms-20 or moog through them for recordings has been an amazing gift! The midi capabilities and flexible output options (there is a dang speaker sim on the Big Sky- proof they listened to all my prayers) are simply icing on a cake. I mean, I can now loop on the fly, with no issues synching up my delay times/mobius modulation to the quantizing of a loop pedal, in almost real time, on stage, no less! This is a game changer for guys like me who straddle the line of using "high brow" effects, in real world "1-2-3-4" situations, without becoming a weirdo who only sits in the basement tethering it all together in incredibly convoluted cable patches/interfaces.

Listen to the verbs! They sound amazing... even if it's a pedal, the sounds if produces scale up nicely when patched or inserted into the mix... they don't come up short like many a guitar effect pedal might when put into the same situation. Many a pedal sounds clear, vivid and open when only effecting guitar through a trad amp, but when inserted on a mix reveal their lack of high end "sparkle" or digital artifacts become apparent... since they assumed you would never hear such audio information through a speaker in a room. Strymon has made boxes that push the quality of similar on the floor stomp boxes, but also managed to take those sounds well beyond that scope and play more than convincingly in "high-res" recording situations.

Not sure what I was on about, or why i am posting this. Um, yeah, so I like them!
Old 4th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
So can anyone answer? Does the Big Sky cover EVERYTHING that the Blue Sky can do?
I don`t own the Big Sky, but comparing the Capistan to Timeline, the Timeline does not cover the all of the Capistan (far from it, more like 25%)
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Like light-ages!
When it comes to more realistic spaces and tonal magic... there's no real comparison with any pedal and a PCM unit. Plus the Lexicon sound has its own great personality.
The BigSky Hall/Room/Plate are just not in that league where you have many parameters you can really adjust to define your space rather than relying on preset hidden control tables doin' it for you, according to the factory programmer.
Not sure what your application will be but the fact strymon pedals, which are really nice devices, have a serious limitation in their poor +8dB input headroom!
Imagine working with pro-audio line levels or even in a line level gtr rig... how easy and likely will be to clip them!
For a 24/96 digital unit made today... it's like "what were they thinking?" when designing the product?
They were thinking, these will be amazing guitar pedals. In use I have never clipped my Blue Sky or my Mobius, and I have run everything I have into them, including line levels. Clear and smooth. Which pedals clipped for you? What were you feeding them?

I agree, however, that the Blue Sky at least, is no replacement for a Lexicon box. It wasn't intended to be. But the pedal sounds very nice.
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
They were thinking, these will be amazing guitar pedals. In use I have never clipped my Blue Sky or my Mobius, and I have run everything I have into them, including line levels. Clear and smooth. Which pedals clipped for you? What were you feeding them?

I agree, however, that the Blue Sky at least, is no replacement for a Lexicon box. It wasn't intended to be. But the pedal sounds very nice.

The input clipping really depends on how hot the level can be.
It's not something happening consistently as it depends on the setup you're using.
I can easily clip my TimeLine with my gtr preamp which runs at 0dB, not even +4dB. Same with my Mackie mixer aux sends. Preamped clean guitar at line levels can easily peak well over +8 dB. Not an uncommon thing.
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The input clipping really depends on how hot the level can be.
It's not something happening consistently as it depends on the setup you're using.
I can easily clip my TimeLine with my gtr preamp which runs at 0dB, not even +4dB. Same with my Mackie mixer aux sends. Preamped clean guitar at line levels can easily peak well over +8 dB. Not an uncommon thing.
That's not good. I'm going to run my pedals through some tests today.
Old 7th April 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

They should make a 1u rack version of this, and the El Capistan with dedicated knobs for parameters, no hidden double functions. However, I understand that guitar pedals sell much more than rack units. Look how TC has changed during the last few years...
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragletrollet View Post
I don`t own the Big Sky, but comparing the Capistan to Timeline, the Timeline does not cover the all of the Capistan (far from it, more like 25%)
Thanks, I have a Capistan V2 and knew that, that's why I'm asking about about the Blue Sky compared to Big Sky. Love the Blue Sky and I'm not interested in buying the Big Sky unless it can do everything the Blue Sky can as I have other racked verbs that could pick up the difference (Eclipse, VVerb Pro, DP/4 etc.)
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Addict
This. On my To Buy list. NOW
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Thanks, I have a Capistan V2 and knew that, that's why I'm asking about about the Blue Sky compared to Big Sky. Love the Blue Sky and I'm not interested in buying the Big Sky unless it can do everything the Blue Sky can as I have other racked verbs that could pick up the difference (Eclipse, VVerb Pro, DP/4 etc.)
I believe the Big Sky can cover the Blue Sky reverbs. It is more difficult to dial them in because the Blue Sky has much simpler controls (and limited). I have both pedals. The one thing I know the Big Sky can't do is the Flint reverbs. I know that because I tried really hard and then sent a message to tech support about it and they confirmed the Flint is unique.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
That's not good. I'm going to run my pedals through some tests today.
Did you do any tests? It is interesting as this is the first time I'm hearing about clipping - the el cap isn't clipping for me.

I guess for me personally, poor musician type - I've got the Valhalla verbs and some nice irs and nebula but for an otb solution I've been thinking about either a h3000 or 3500 or a h9. I really want the blue sky big sky but I don't know if I can drop $500 on a single purpose pedal. The h9 I can grow with - the h3xxx I can grow into. But I don't want to program really - I don't have the time to learn something as vast as a h3xxx so given that I'm really lost as to what to do. I mean I could save the extra for the h3xxx but is it going to be a massive time sync?
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

If you don't want to program, I wouldn't get the H9. At least for me, it really opened up only after I dug in and made some of my own presets. Maybe there are heaps of presets to download somewhere, but at least I didn't care much for the stock presets.

Programming the H9 with an iPad definitely doesn't feel like a chore though. Very straightforward, simple and fun.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

I have found the TimeLine *VERY* capable of many spectacular ambient echoverb effects! Used with a Big Sky the damage can be highly devastating.

Enjoy the 40 clips:
http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/eve...asp#audioclips

Info at bottom page:
http://www.italodeangelis.com/it/FX_...ors_libraries/
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you do any tests? It is interesting as this is the first time I'm hearing about clipping - the el cap isn't clipping for me.

I guess for me personally, poor musician type - I've got the Valhalla verbs and some nice irs and nebula but for an otb solution I've been thinking about either a h3000 or 3500 or a h9. I really want the blue sky big sky but I don't know if I can drop $500 on a single purpose pedal. The h9 I can grow with - the h3xxx I can grow into. But I don't want to program really - I don't have the time to learn something as vast as a h3xxx so given that I'm really lost as to what to do. I mean I could save the extra for the h3xxx but is it going to be a massive time sync?
Programming the Big Sky is extremely fast and easy. Just choose a reverb type, turn a few knobs and you got yourself a mighty reverb in a minute. I haven't even tried the presets and I never save anything, I just dial in a reverb I want every time I turn it on.

I bet one of those rackmounted Eventides sound a bit (or maybe even a lot) better, but immediacy and small size (so that you can take it easily to live gigs) make the Big Sky a big win for me.

And I'm not saying the Big Sky sounds bad by any means. It's the best reverb I've ever tried. Bricastics, those expensive Eventides, maybe some Lexicons just might be even better. They are not just for me, due to the UI and size.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Did some more digging. Apparently the algorithms are all brand new for the Big Sky and have none of the same algos of the Blue Sky.

I probably will go Big Sky eventually and sell the Blue Sky. Big Sky sounds fine from what ive hard and i like the extra options and tweakability and some of the newer algos lend themselves better to synths imho.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have found the TimeLine *VERY* capable of many spectacular ambient echoverb effects!
Argh - I always get distracted by your great playing.
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Argh - I always get distracted by your great playing.
Don't get distracted! Enjoy the sounds and music...

Thank you, sir!
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Addict

Does anyone (maybe someone who owns or has used the Space and Big Sky) have opinions regarding which would be "better" for Dreamy electronic/shoegaze stuff? (I'm thinking Ulrich Schnauss/Royksopp)

I'm about to pull the plug on one of these but just can't decide which.

HEEEELP!!!
Old 27th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel View Post
Does anyone (maybe someone who owns or has used the Space and Big Sky) have opinions regarding which would be "better" for Dreamy electronic/shoegaze stuff? (I'm thinking Ulrich Schnauss/Royksopp)

HEEEELP!!!
I had the same dilemma, so I bought both. After using them extensively, I don't think I could choose one over the other for that type of music. They're both great, and a bit different.

Sometimes I run one into the other, usually the Big Sky into the Space. I also have an Eclipse, which I recommend. You should be able to find one used for a grand or so. Less knobs, but crazy effects.

FWIW, I currently use them in the following signal chains:
  1. Prophet 12 -> Eventide Eclipse
  2. Tom Oberheim SEM PRO -> MF-102 -> MF-104M-SD (or El Capistan) -> Big Sky
  3. Grendel Drone Commander & circuit-bent Casio VL-1 -> Moog MF-102 -> Space
  4. Moog Minitaur -> TC Electronic Ring Thing -> Space or Software Reverb
  5. Prophet VS -> Timeline -> Space or Big Sky
  6. Yamaha CP4 -> Big Sky
  7. Korg MS2000 -> Space or Software Reverb
  8. Korg Z1 -> whatever isn't being used
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel View Post

HEEEELP!!!
Here's my honest opinion. I own and use both the BigSky and Eventide Eclipse. The Eclipse does not have all the Space settings but the reverbs are still Eventide algorithms and still sound amazing. That being said, there are things the BigSky does that the Eclipse does not and vice versa. Bottom line, imo, Strymon and Eventide make some of the best sounding reverbs, period. You can't go wrong with either. For dreamy/shoegazey/ambient type stuff, however, I would get the BigSky. It's versatility is mind boggling. Love mine with a passion.

Cheers!
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Head

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much new to analogue gear and lots of technical matters, so I'll ask the following:

I'm not a guitarist and do not own a guitar. Can I use the BigSky as a hardware effects plug in? I do not have a hardware synth yet, but I see the BigSky has MIDI INs and OUTs, so I guess I should be able to connect it to my audio interface's (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4) MIDI INs / OUTs and use it on any digital synth / sound via my keyboard (Novation Impusle 49) ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search