The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
i am not sure what midi gear i should be looking for
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

i am not sure what midi gear i should be looking for

Hi guys, first post here. i am not an electronic musician but looking for a midi solution to control my pedalboard and since you guys are experts in Midi thought of bringing up the question here

basically i have one midi controller (has IN & OUT) and i want to use it to send 3 different midi PC with 3 different values to three other devices. From research at this forum, i think i will need a midi interface and a midi patchbay software.

just to be sure my signal chain will be:

Midi controller -> OUT to send PC to Midi Interface (Mac patchbay software)->send out 3 different Midi PC with different values

not sure whether i am on the right path
Old 13th October 2013
I'm not sure what you mean by "midi PC". Do you mean you want to send a midi signal from one controller into three different computers?

You can split the MIDI signal with one of these:

It will basically split the signal into 4 identical signals. So plug your controller into the input of that device, then plug 3 other cables from the THRU ports into your 3 PCs.

Then you can use different MIDI channels to send different signals to each PC. MIDI has 16 channels, think of it as 16 independent signals going through the same wire.

So you could set your 3 PCs to receive on different channels. Finally you'll have to configure your controller to send specific signals to specific channels depending on what you want to accomplish.
Old 13th October 2013
You don't want that - that will lead to midi latency problems. Note the key words "4 identical signals".

So for example, if you have a dense drum track and a dense piano track, your drum machine will have to cope with a slew of piano notes, and your piano machine will have to cope with a slew of drum notes. Continous controllers drive them nuts - too much data.

The problem with midi (the old 1980's serial port technology) is that is is a Serial protocol - that means it has to cope with each note one after another. And it's quite slow by todays standards.

This is what drove me mad about midi hardware - the timing goes to hell when devices have to filter out too many notes.

The answer is to have a midi interface with enough ports so that each machine gets only the notes you choose to send to it. Especially with old sluggish devices like Roland stuff - they get very sloppy.

If you are actually syncing PC's and not just midi hardware, I would suggest that you sync them via digital word clock for audio. Audio sync via a common clock is waaay faster and accurate than midi, and will modern DAWs the midi just comes along for the ride. So you could have individual DAWs on each PC, perfectly synced.

Or you could just make one PC the master controller, and host your instruments and FX on slave PC's via a plugin host and basically just use them like midi hardware. The timing won't be quite as accurate but probably better than old midi hardware.

What I found with older midi hardware was that if they had an internal sequencer the timing could be perfect, but if you used them with an external sequencer the timing got very sloppy (especially if you didn't filter out unwanted notes).
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

I think i just make you guys confuse haha,
hmmm.. what i meant by midi PC is Midi Program Change.

i am trying to send three different type of PC to three different device through one one controller
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Get a splitter/thru box, or chain the devices by connecting your controller's out to the input of the first, the thru of that to the input of the next, etc, and set the devices to different MIDI channels.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search