The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Akai APC Mod?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Akai APC Mod?

Hi.

Im thinking about getting an Akai APC 40 but want to ask a couple of questions:

- In Ableton can i use it just as a controller, without having to use it as a control surface? Similar to User 1 or 2 on the Launchpads?
- Will this give me light feedback on the pads etc?

- Can i edit/modify the controls so i can use buttons and pads that would normally not get used for mapping in Ableton?

Thanks!
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

yes it can
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Great!

Could you please tell me how?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Everything can be overriden - the APC was just programmed using Live's Instant Mappings.
You either set Live to MIDI learn then select item in Live, press/turn the bit of APC you want to use. Save as default template if you want this permanently.

It's well worth looking at NativeKontrol and the Beatwise forums for a few apps/scripts to really bring out the shine in the APC. There's also the LIME app (Live Instant Mapping Editor) which gives you a GUI for such shenanigans
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

So i basically just dont use it as a control surface and everything is midi mappable?

Will this LIME app allow me to edit the controller itself and write them to the APC or do i have to keep it open when using Ableton?

I cant find this LIME app anywhere... could you please send me a link?

Thanks!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Beatwise network...

I don't think that the APC is anything outside of Live by the way, though don't quote me on that...
Almost everything can be mapped between Live and the APC btw; take a look at the APC-Live script from NativeKontrol though, could save you time and brain ache
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

i haven't read it yet. but at least i try to ask google for the solution
APC40 Hacking Superguide: Monome Emulator, MIDI Tricks, Handshake Puzzler - Create Digital Music

hope it helps
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Yea dope. Thankyou!

I was kinda hoping someone had made an APC editor that just kept it simple for us who dont really want to install scripts etc...

Hopefully Akai will do something cool next year.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

As Akai make Push, they probably don't need to do much in the way of competition but I am holding out hope for an APC40 mk2 or something.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut
You can just use basic midi map to override the standard apc functions but then you lose the LED lights. Creating your own remote script requires significant digging/learning and python code.

I hadn't seen LIME yet. Thanks for the tip.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search