The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Convince me to get a Prophet 5
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Convince me to get a Prophet 5

I've got a voyager and a rhodes that need to go. I've always wanted a prophet 5, but I can't find many good sound samples for as popular of a synth it is. All the old soundtracks make it sound great, but 99% of the youtube demos sound like junk. Post up some tracks you have used the prophet 5 on, and convince me
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

Prophet 5 sounds great even unplugged:

Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post
Prophet 5 sounds great even unplugged:

Ahahha that's some ridiculous
Old 12th October 2013
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
and convince me
grow up, there's more than enough info on the internet
Old 12th October 2013
Buy it. It's a legend. Don't buy a Rev II....you'll spend more on the tech than the synth...never met a guy that could A/B/X it from the Rev III in a mix, and the rev III is much more reliable. The PolyMod section alone should sell you if you like brass!

Or, find one on CL and GO PLAY THE DAMN THING!!!

Good Luck
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

1983:

2013:
Old 12th October 2013
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
grow up, there's more than enough info on the internet

Quote:
I've always wanted a prophet 5
Then buy it.
Quote:
but I can't find many good sound samples for as popular of a synth it is. 99% of the youtube demos sound like junk.
Don't buy it.
Quote:
All the old soundtracks make it sound great
Then buy it.

If you know it can sound "great," and that's what made you want it in the first place, then why not buy it and make it sound "great?"

If you've heard songs that sound both "great" and like "junk," then why not buy it and see if you can make it sound great for your music, and if not, you could sell it for what you paid for it.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

My point is for being such a legendary synth for over 30 years and so popular everyone just references the same old videos and scores. I want links to tracks other users are using it in. You can find countless videos or tracks of almost all synths, but with prophet 5 people just say listen to this. Same thing heard 1000 times. Where are the prophet 5 tracks hiding?

The future music vid was cool
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got a voyager and a rhodes that need to go. I've always wanted a prophet 5, but I can't find many good sound samples for as popular of a synth it is. All the old soundtracks make it sound great, but 99% of the youtube demos sound like junk. Post up some tracks you have used the prophet 5 on, and convince me
lol

soooo

were all the youtube demos rev3s and all the old soundtracks rev1/2?

they are practically two different synths after all. and rev3's are about 6x more common than a rev2

Of course, I had some notion they were different when I bought my rev3.3, but it wasn't til I realized practically almost ALL the old tracks I knew the prophet from were rev2, and that's why I own a rev2 now as well. Of course, I also realized that a lot of those tracks also had cs-80 on them, and now I'm just screwed trying to pay off all this debt and some day hope to have the money for one.

plenty of sound clips in my thread here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-vs-3-3-a.html

here's harlem nights doing a cowley cover on the rev2:

the prophet 5 can be a pretty brash synth, it's one that can really take over a mix if you're not careful. It's not so much one of those sit-quiet-in-the-corner kind of synths, so demoing it can be hard, it often just sounds very blunt and overpowering. Once it is fit into a mix properly, it's a different story.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
convince me
Buy one or we will have you killed. Convinced?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Is it me or is the P5 really brassy sounding?
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
yep...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like the rev 3 more... Creepshow, day of the dead, hitcher, the burning, halloween 3, etc. little bit darker sounding. Anyone have rev 3 tracks in electronic music examples or examples of the microtuning?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Interestingly, that's one of the biggest complaints with the Prophet 08.
Old 13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Interestingly, that's one of the biggest complaints with the Prophet 08.
Yeah different strokes ..
Old 13th October 2013
If you don't buy it you will never own one. When you are laying on your death bed the only thing you will be able to think is "I should have bought the Prophet 5". No amount of comforting will help, you will die facing a giant regret thinking your life was a total failure.

Is it really worth not buying it?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

^^^^LOL!!!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a rev2. Got it for nothing and spent a bit of time and money tracking down its faults. Not a big deal really. Sounds ****ing fantastic. I'm pretty sure the rev3 sounds just as good.
It's a fairly ancient piece of equipment so don't expect it to go up against your Virus or Neuron, but what it does do it does very well. The filter and polymod are excellent.

If you think the demos sound like junk then maybe this is not the synth for you.

Over and out...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Nah its crap, don't bother.

Give me the money instead (and I'll buy one) lol.

Of course you should buy it. Its a PROPHET 5, that's why.

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you have a huge amount of samples that fit your needs, why buy?
Do you get a sampler patch and say to yourself "this isn't enough control" or "I wish I could edit this more"?
Is that really worth, what are they? $4-6 thousand???? That is insane thinking if you are not sure you want something.

You could buy a nice console or a high quality interface and some sick monitors. Or hell, maybe save the money and invest it.
What do you really need? Because to me it sounds like you don't "need" it and you aren't even sure you want it.
Old 13th October 2013
You should buy one. It will make your music 10x better.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

What are you doing on this site if you need convincing to buy a P5???
Old 13th October 2013
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
What are you doing on this site if you need convincing to buy a P5???
what he said
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

One of the most famous Pro-5 riffs/songs!

But soundwise I really prefer the SSM-versions, even if Rev. 3 is much more stable and doesn't doesn't sound bad at all, just a lill' less smoother/more "grittier". I did a 1:1 comparison many years ago...

So get one!
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
All the old soundtracks make it sound great
It uh, kind of helps if the people playing are skilled and the composer knows what he's doing and the rest of the engineers know what they're doing.

Is that not an issue with you because you can do all that already? Then buy it! (but don't let the Rhodes go - the Voyager is something you can buy again even in 5 years after your wallet's stopped bleeding)
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm with Yooser - hang on to the Rhodes.

Always regret selling mine...for $90 (sigh)
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Dont buy a rev 3.x. Go for a rev 2.
I have mine for over 1.5 year now. And it never let me down. Also the tuning is fast.
I used to own a rev 3.1 and 3.3
With the filter open they sound almost the same but the magic happens when you play with the cutoff on the rev2.
Really something different then a rev 3.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, but can a rev 2 sound as dark? I'm wouldn't be getting it to play basslines, funk, or disco. More into soundtrack, new wave, and electronic music
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
My point is for being such a legendary synth for over 30 years and so popular everyone just references the same old videos and scores. I want links to tracks other users are using it in. You can find countless videos or tracks of almost all synths, but with prophet 5 people just say listen to this. Same thing heard 1000 times. Where are the prophet 5 tracks hiding?

The future music vid was cool

Intro to this track is done on a prophet 5 rev 3
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search