The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
synths with stereo audio filtering, Poly Evolver, moonwind, Elektron A4, SE CODE 8?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head
synths with stereo audio filtering, Poly Evolver, moonwind, Elektron A4, SE CODE 8?

Hi I'm new here.

I loves filters, stereo filters. I have an Elektron A4 but the unit has no envelope follower and I need lfos for sweeps and followers for the sparkledust (making trigs that trigger the envelope is not the same).

You can listen to the nonsense I make here to get an idea of what I want to hear (but this was made in mono and I want a stereo set up because a nord piano sounds rubbish in mono)

It is an animoog to a korg ms20 filter clone (filtered coffee) to a mfb synth 2.

I thought about getting 2 korg ms-20 minis but I bought one and the lfo at its slowest setting is way way too fast (the filtered coffee is very slooooow).

So what should I get?
Moonwind?

Studio Electronics CODE 8 with cs-80 filters?

DSI Poly Evolver?

Anything else?

My workflow is: make a riff with a piano, rhodes, synth (whatever) and then feed into another synth or filter and play a lead over the top. Just layering really with filters doing what they do best.

I like the idea of playing everything in real time and tweaking in realtime, but the A4 is just not up to the job (although I love the synth)

If I have posted incorrectly please tell me I'm an idiot and I will delete the post.

However I am very interested to know what people think and have to share about stereo audio analog filtering and the products I have listed.

For instance to me, the code 8 looks like a mixing desk that is a synth too. And that is the dream a hybrid synth/mixing desk.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
For instance to me, the code 8 looks like a mixing desk that is a synth too. And that is the dream a hybrid synth/mixing desk.
A code 8 is not a mixing desk at all..

Seems like you are new to production?
Maybe start out with a Filter Factory that's a nice cheap under rated stand alone filter that you can easily get on ebay..

If money is burning a hole in your pocket you could always get a Schippmann Ebbe & Flut..
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head
Hi Nexus-6

Thanks for the suggestions.
The ebbe and flut is mono as far as I can see, and that would be far too much for one channel. The elektrix would be too basic. I have looked at sherman filterbanks, but they seem to be on the raucous side for me.

And, with the greatest respect, the code 8 is like a desk/console to me. It's no neve, but it has an amp stage and an eq stage and the audio signals are adjustable independently on each channel, and these parameters can be automated with lfos.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2013
If I just needed a filter I would be getting a Waldorf Miniworks 4-pole. No idea whether that would work for you. Sounds pretty versatile though.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

There's a new Analog four operating system on the way...don't know when, but sometime this month. I have no idea if it has an envelope follower, but there has been some strong user advocacy for that from multiple people, and (more importantly) it's trivially simple to implement and requires very little in the way of DSP resources. So you may want to wait and see what that brings.

Don't underestimate the Filter Factory. It's simple but powerful. If you think it's too basic you may be mixing it up with the Filter Queen from the same firm, which is a half size module that is just a filter and lacks the envelope follower, LFO, and MIDI controllability of the FF.
Old 12th October 2013
Not sure why you're stuck on analog.... I'd try a Virus TI if I were you....if you really want analog, try two Slim Phatty(s)....or the 500 series The Ladder....I simply provide an analog gate signal to my phatties, providing super fast response, and the OL function makes it as clean or dirty as I want it.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah most stand alone filters are mono for some reason..

I'm speaking from experience I own 2 Filter Factory's myself & think they are very under rated I also own the Filter Bank II..

The code has been on my radar for a long time but I never thought of it as a mixing desk? If you can afford it by all means pick it up it is a monster but the price is one too!
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

OTO Machines Biscuit does very nice stereo filtering, filter do not self oscillate though. And it can also act like synth
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head
Apologies for poo poohing the filter factory, I stand corrected

If Elektron were to release such an update then my prayers would be answered as the A4 really is quite special and filters have a nice sound to them and I think they could get really gritty if they added a follower to audio signals coming in.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head
Thanks for all the suggestions; learnt about some new units, which is very good for my gas.

I'm off to try a DSI evolver out today to check out what it can do to audio.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

A6 -- i think

moog voyager--i think input is TRS, so I think it can do stereo filtering too.

edit: nope, it's trs but not stereo.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyziggyk View Post
Apologies for poo poohing the filter factory, I stand corrected

No need for apologies man everyone around here has an opinion I was just expressing mine..

Oh and welcome to gearslutz Prepare your credit card for a work out
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

shruthi is totally perfect for this. Im getting 2 smr4 to use as a duaphonic analog and for stereo proccessing. Check em out Mutable Instruments | Electronic music instruments
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head
Thanks for the welcome.

Good suggestions keeps-a coming. I would have loved to get an A6, but no longer in production. Why, who knows.

Spent some time with the Evolver that I got yesterday, and the Curtis filters have a nice sound but it all sounds very clean and precise, almost digital. I have worked out that I love the Korg MS-20 filters more.

I think I have to post some audio or post to the tube to describe what on earth it is I'm talking about, but the ms-20 filters are just heaven to my ears, maybe I should check out the Steiner-Parker mini brute filters?

Or analogue solutions filter modules?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

doepfer make some great filter modules - their xpander multimode filter sounds fantastic from demos
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

pretty sure one of the only true analog stereo filter is on the voyager.. now if you're just looking for dual filtering then yea the MS-20 is very dope.. you get a whole lot of sweet spots & tone shaping on that LPF/HPF config
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
If you think it's too basic you may be mixing it up with the Filter Queen from the same firm, which is a half size module that is just a filter and lacks the envelope follower, LFO, and MIDI controllability of the FF.
The Filter Queen actually does have an env follower and a LFO, but no MIDI.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
A6 -- i think

moog voyager--i think input is TRS, so I think it can do stereo filtering too.

edit: nope, it's trs but not stereo.
Voyager definitely has a stereo filter
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

How about a Mutronics Mutator? Not a synth, but a supersweet analog stereo filter anyway.

Not cheap though, and not always available, as you can only buy one 2nd hand.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head
Very interesting about the voyager being stereo I would never have even considered it.

I was looking at Mutators for a while, one has just gone up on Ebay uk which I may enquire about.

But I am after some grittiness, not mangling or even close to it, just an amped & filtered sound that the ms20 has without even trying. A lot of boards of canada has that kind of sound, which I am sure they get through other methods.

I certainly hope that google spiders this page well so that other people researching stereo analogue filters can get here, because this thread is full of loads of suggestions now.

I remember reading in Sound on Sound that if you put a korg through a moog the korg sounds like moog and vice versa. I think a lot of people really miss the huge audio differences between filters.

I think the only real way to find out is to buy them all (which I may do as I am obsessed by filters)
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

the voyager stereo filter is really interesting thanks to the "spacing" knob which is quite unique.. you can also select in between dual, parallel low-pass filters, and low-pass/high-pass filters in series... later firmwares also allow different filter pole settings... you can read more about it in the voyager sos review:

"In Dual Low-pass mode, you have two low-pass 24dB-per-octave filters at your disposal but, because they are in parallel rather than in series, you cannot combine these to obtain a 48dB-per-octave response. Instead, their outputs appear individually in the left and right channels. This would be pointless, except that the Spacing control then allows you to determine the spacing — up to a maximum of approximately ±3 octaves — between the two filters' cutoff frequencies. This means that, for a given set of filter parameters, you have two signals, one filtered more (or less) than the other.

The Voyager's manual makes grandiose claims about Dual Low-pass mode, and some users have waxed lyrical about all sorts of stereo effects, but to be honest, I am a little disappointed because there is no way to control and modulate the filters individually. It would be quite different if you could sweep one and leave the other unaffected, or have one on the edge of self-oscillation while the other has zero resonance, but you can't. A missed opportunity, I think. On the other hand, I love High-pass/Low-pass mode...

Set the Mode switch to High-pass/Low-pass and the Voyager assumes a very different character, with the Spacing again determining the gap between the lower and upper frequencies. The high-pass filter is not resonant, but in all other ways it acts as before, tracking the filter envelope, tracking the keyboard CV, and responding to the modulators. The output is a little noisier in this mode, but I doubt that many players will find this intrusive. Anyway, you should forget the mechanics, and just play... Suddenly, the Voyager sounds unlike a Moog, and more like an ARP, or even a vintage Korg. The sonic palette is extended dramatically and, to my ears, the instrument springs into life."

Voyager By Bob Moog
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Akai MFC42 is another option.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head
Re spacing of filters, the Dave Smith Instruments Evolver has stereo spacing options, but that is for the stereo field left and right, but you can also set the pitch from oscillators and send to the filters.

To be honest I've only scratched the surface, it seems to offer huge flexibility for not that much money (depending on your budget). Parallel, serial all that, but it sounds clean, even the distortion sounds clean if that makes sense.

Both the filtered coffee/ms-20 and my old MFB synth II sound pretty sketchy and I like that lack of precision even though many others probably wouldn't.

I really have to get some audio together to compare the different filters as describing sound in words is not good, but the soundcloud noodle i posted demonstrate what an animoog -> mfb synth II ext in -> filtered coffee can do (plus lots of delays). I just like that kind of sound. The filtered coffee filters are wide open with small slow lfo sweep and follower assigned but still it colours/muddies the riff a lot in my opinion.
Old 14th October 2013
I know you want hardware, but Cytomic's The Drop VST has dual Highpass, Lowpass, MS20 filters, SH filters, "spread" parameter, you can modulate various parameters with audio signals, it has ultrasonic LFOs, overdrive, the LFO has its own "spread" parameter which runs two LFOs out of phase for each stereo channel, envelope followers etc etc. It's the nuts basically.

Before you dismiss it as software, be aware that it uses the very latest zero-latency-feedback algorithms. He's the same guy that made The Glue, and it uses the same technology. Listen to the demos. It sounds bloody amazing.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head
Thanks for the suggestion, I will listen for sure but yes I do want hardware

The reason I did is because I find it so difficult to interact with a screen and even though this is totally irrational a piece of hardware feels more real than software.

I think that maybe one day I will return to software once I know the limitations of hardware.

The analogy of cameras is apt. I use a digital camera and yet I crave the old style filters and lenses. If you are into tilt and shift effects (diorama on olympus cameras) the purists will always say that a lens is better than a Gaussian blur, yet a blur or other digital effect will simulate a film analog based effect perfectly well for most people.

But I want a tilt and shift lens though and I want analog stereo filters (although it took me a long time to prefer stereo over mono believe it or not) and I have GAS real bad plus no girlfriend, children or mortgage lol.

Re mutronics mutator there is non midi version on gumtree and a midi one just posted on eBay uk
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head
And @dogma re doepfer and mutable

I have been looking at the shruthi and thinking about modular too

So much gear so little time
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieCache View Post
I know you want hardware, but Cytomic's The Drop VST has dual Highpass, Lowpass, MS20 filters, SH filters, "spread" parameter, you can modulate various parameters with audio signals, it has ultrasonic LFOs, overdrive, the LFO has its own "spread" parameter which runs two LFOs out of phase for each stereo channel, envelope followers etc etc. It's the nuts basically.

Before you dismiss it as software, be aware that it uses the very latest zero-latency-feedback algorithms. He's the same guy that made The Glue, and it uses the same technology. Listen to the demos. It sounds bloody amazing.
The Drop is still in beta though, and has been for a long time.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkks View Post
Akai MFC42 is another option.
Please refrain from propagating information about such secret weaponry. Thanks.

;P

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Cwejman MMF-2 is one bad mutha.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

Let yourself go and get into the eurocrack. Filters galore. Anything else is pussyfooting.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search