The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Mks 80 and mpg 80
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

Roland Mks 80 and mpg 80

Would anyone know how to bypass the internal patches so the settings on the mpg are representative of the sound. I guess like an init patch setting. I'm not a fan of presets and more used to the wysiwyg approach of say a sh101 or moog rogue
Thanks
CT
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

isn't there a manual patch button on the mpg-80?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

There is but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect, it just does the same thing as when u push the patch button on the rack unit, ie enables you to select a preset using the bank keys
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingToes View Post
There is but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect, it just does the same thing as when u push the patch button on the rack unit, ie enables you to select a preset using the bank keys
really, hmm, i dont remember that. I was pretty sure there's a way to make it do what you want. Maybe try putting the synth into patch mode first?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

Cool will have a go, thanks fella
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm not certain, but I don't think you can do what you want. Changing a synth parameter via an external controller is a one-directional MIDI transaction from the programmer to the synth. There's no mechanism for the MPG to all of a sudden "tell" the MKS80 what all of it's knob values are that I can see. First of all, there's no manual mode directly on the MPG. Secondly, the MKS80 can't give any commands to the MPG to ask it what the values are.

Somebody else could probably explain it better, and I'm not 100% sure.
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

Yer I feared as much, I think I'll have to reverse engineer a patch back to its rawest state and save it, at least that way I can start fresh each time
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

mpg-80 isn't just standard midi though - it uses the proprietary 6 pin connector and I believe it may use non-midi protocols (I know this was the case for pg-800 and some of the others). coulda swore I was making patches from scratch one time - but I might have just done something silly like create an "empty" patch and just start from there, still, I coulda swore that manual patch button did what he wants, I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've tried to make a patch from scratch on my mks-80.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search