The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warming - "Analoging" itb sound with...what?
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Warming - "Analoging" itb sound with...what?

Hi lads.
Wanted to ask You for advice.
When you work ITB and want to add some real analog feel to track from an external real analog device...how you do it?
Ok i know about tape etc. But wanted to ask about something smaller,convenient.
something into which i can send my sound from computer and then record it back "coloured" with analog flavour.

What are the options ? I mean "affordable" and covnient options ?

I know analog compressor is good option. But what beside it ? I know people do all crazy tricks to warm their itb sound and some of them are really cheap and do not require a thousands dollars spent
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

If you want analog, go real analog. If you want "real" "analog", go high-voltage tubes. They're super analogy. Plus they get really "warm". If you want cheap high-voltage tubes, go with something like these.

EHX.com | Black Finger - Optical Tube Compressor | Electro-Harmonix

EHX.com | LPB-2ube - Stereo Tube Preamp | Electro-Harmonix
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

he he mate sure thing i know there is option " go analog". But i know some really high caliber producers do work totally itb and with this "trick" of letting signal through certain piece of gear they get desired effect,without need to be actually totally "analog", keeping all pluses and conveniency of working itb,while still having this more organic taste in sound of analog. thx for links,checking (i was thinking about such preams,thx for suggestions,researching it)
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear
a nice analog gate/expander
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

thx bluegreengold, btw im soory i wated to press thumbs up but on thjis damn touchpad i pressed thumb down lol :/ ;(
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Have you tried this? It's really good.

ValhallaVintageVerb: $50 – ValhallaDSP

For a hardware option, this gets some respect in the Low End Theory forum:

ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor | Musician's Friend
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

I know about VVV . But wanted a real thing to add some flavour to whole mixes made itb. This compressor looks nice and is in really affordable price
Old 24th September 2013
For me, working ITB, making digital audio sound analog is about movement, imperfections, and non-linearity. I like the simplicity of being ITB and have no desire to pile up outboard gear and have wires running everywhere.

I use Slate VCC, filter modulation (especially on bass lines and percussion), saturation/distortion, and lots of minuscule modulation of pitch and cutoff with LFO's. I compress bass and lead sounds heavily with slow compressor settings so it sounds obvious, but then mix in dry signal, which gives the sounds kind of a throbbing or swaying feel. There are a lot of ways to do this stuff, but subtlety is the key, albeit while using these techniques everywhere on my tracks . Also, try automating by hand. Map a filter cutoff or delay feedback to a knob on your midi keyboard and turn it by hand instead of drawing in a perfect line or curve.
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

yeah mate i try some of those tricks too though thanks for great input and exhaustive reply
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Then there's Nebula. Preamp tube suite and things like that. Lots of Nebula threads here about that very thing.
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

How much is your budget exactly?

Edit: It's hard to give advice without some kind of a framework.
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

i can live with such "thing" being up to 400-500$ ?
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Nut

One thing always worth a try is to play your tracks out through a speaker or guitar amp, point a mic in the general direction and record it back in. There's nothing like moving air around a real life room to give a sound a bit of character. It's cheap too.
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

The cheapest way would be to simply loopback into your interface's mic pre-amps. Some budget boxes out there have some really nice 'analoguey' (for want of a better word) pre-amps... think Focusrite, Echo, Roland/Cakewalk..

I say use mic amps rather than your line level inputs simply to get a hotter, more coloured signal. Has the added benefit that the recorded tracks will be hard clipped and so you'll be able to make them louder..
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Start with the source. Synths only sound analog if they are based on analog reproduction methods. Recorded material is fair game for anything you can throw at it, but it's not analog. If you want to add vibe, a compressor is a good starting point.
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

i am satisfied with whats going on mixingwise since longer time in my DAW. I was just looking for bit of additional mojo
Old 24th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Berkwick View Post
One thing always worth a try is to play your tracks out through a speaker or guitar amp, point a mic in the general direction and record it back in. There's nothing like moving air around a real life room to give a sound a bit of character. It's cheap too.
i am going to experiment with it,i think i saw somewhere pic of maxcooper rerecording some of his sounds this way...mojo and best possible reverb
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
If you want analog, go real analog. If you want "real" "analog", go high-voltage tubes. They're super analogy. Plus they get really "warm". If you want cheap high-voltage tubes, go with something like these.

EHX.com | Black Finger - Optical Tube Compressor | Electro-Harmonix

EHX.com | LPB-2ube - Stereo Tube Preamp | Electro-Harmonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperson View Post
he he mate sure thing i know there is option " go analog". But i know some really high caliber producers do work totally itb and with this "trick" of letting signal through certain piece of gear they get desired effect,without need to be actually totally "analog", keeping all pluses and conveniency of working itb,while still having this more organic taste in sound of analog. thx for links,checking (i was thinking about such preams,thx for suggestions,researching it)
I think that by "Go Analog" Brainchild means precisely what you say: running your tracks to an analog outboard processor or recording media, instead of just adding some plugin at the end of the chain.

I recorded the final mixes for my last album into cassette tape (with an off-the-shelf consumer HiFi system), and then recorded them back into the computer. It added quite a bit of noise but also some warmth and saturation. I removed some of the noise with my audio editor and compared the result with the original digital mixes, and in my opinion it was worth it, even with the extra noise. But I'm not a "pro" (as in I don't live off my music) and don't mind some lo-fi.
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Nut

You can add a bit of colour after the fact by running you're mix bus out and through some analog outboard. But this I say with trepidation because I don't know what you mean by affordable, because I wouldn't bother with it unless you're running the signal through some decent stuff which doesn't come cheap.

Running it through sub standard outboard might not add anything to a track, where you might add a little pleasing distortion here, you might get smearing or loss of transients or collapsed stereo field there.

Some suggestions might be the the fatso, which does a lot for the price, then there's 500 series options which can be good value after initial outlay of rack. Some nice neve style pres, elysia xfilter eq looks good, and buss compression which doesn't come cheap unfortunately.

Its nice to capture it at source, but I hear what your saying there's space,workflow and flexibility considerations not to mention its not exactly cheap going that path either

I'm not sure if that helped, hope it does
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

all posts here are really helpfull, im trying to figure out next step and it certainly helps
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperson View Post
all posts here are really helpfull, im trying to figure out next step and it certainly helps
Lol someone gave this comment a thumbsdown wtf.
Old 24th September 2013
Deleted b598644
ITB will never sound analog even with processing or plugins

buy a reel to reel recorder and record on that...
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

i today also gave thumb down to one poster here,by accident lol...damn touchpad,and couldnt edit it
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
ITB will never sound analog even with processing or plugins

buy a reel to reel recorder and record on that...
listen for example to robag wruhme and tell it to him....
Old 24th September 2013
Deleted 7a0e5c3
Phoenix Nice DI or 2 GAP Pre 73s on your DAWs insert work like a charme to 'warm up' digital ITB sound
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Maniac

The first thing that came to mind was re-amping. It's a good technique to know anyway. give it a try if you have some interesting amps.
Yes, it works on synths too.
Old 25th September 2013
Lives for gear

In your budget, there isn't much I'd personally use.

A lot of recommendations for cheap tube gear, which...eh...work for some people but hardly capable of a sonic signature I'd be so in love with to want on everything...not saying you can't use it and get a good sound, but not really what I think of as "analog-ing" a mix, you know? A lot of the most revered "analog" sounding gear is solid state or transformer based...Neve, API, Moog, etc...

I'd definitely consider replacing some of your plugins with some real hardware EQs/compressors/etc, just one good channel of each.

I really like the Chandler Germanium Tone Controls for a cool EQ and transformer based saturation. Very good for taking stuff out of the box. Out of your budget, especially for 2 channels...but that is the quality of sound I can put across a whole mix and not regret it.
Old 25th September 2013
Just a quick $.02. People high-pass filter too much. People also boost the high end too much looking for "sparkle". This in effect, can't help but make a track seem less warm. I mean how much low-end energy needs to be filtered off a hi-hat?
Old 25th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Just a quick $.02. People high-pass filter too much. People also boost the high end too much looking for "sparkle". This in effect, can't help but make a track seem less warm. I mean how much low-end energy needs to be filtered off a hi-hat?
That's a really bad example, because an actual miked hi-hat (especially in the context of a full drum kit) really does need to be high passed, until they invent that hi-hat mic that doesn't pick up every other drum in the room, that is. My quick $.02.
Old 25th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
That's a really bad example, because an actual miked hi-hat (especially in the context of a full drum kit) really does need to be high passed, until they invent that hi-hat mic that doesn't pick up every other drum in the room, that is. My quick $.02.
This is the electronic music forum, where no hi-hats, or any drum sounds are miked. That makes $.04
πŸ“ Reply