The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just bagged an SY77 - getting cold feet...
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Just bagged an SY77 - getting cold feet...

I haven't picked it up yet, initially I was after a controller but I always get GAS for sound generation. I know a lot of people think these are great. I've got enough VA and thought it would add something...BUT I'm not so sure!!!! Someone reassure me!!
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds wicked and it has not one but two modwheels, which is one more than on any of my gear, so go have fun with it you lucky bastard.

Better?
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

guess it depends how much you paying for it...?? Regardless, it probably can't be as much as I just plonked down for an OSCar, so maybe you can take some cold comfort in that
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
guess it depends how much you paying for it...??
£205 UKP. With box etc... Looks in vgc
Old 23rd September 2013
IMO it's not worth the money... I still own the big brother SY99 and don't use it. FM programming is complicated, sample memory is too limited so it can only be used for very simple sounds etc. and the overall sound is a bit 90s.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

That Oscar must have been a small fortune!!

I guess the other way to look at it is an after touch equipped 61 key controller would have been the same or more. I know it doesn't have knobs for daw control but I have my Ti for that
Old 23rd September 2013
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
Someone reassure me!!
you've got to be kidding me.... how old are you?
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
you've got to be kidding me.... how old are you?
None of your feckin' business. Also please feel free to ignore any thread that you don't have anything constructive to say. Geez
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Guru

Did you massively overpay for it (or are you going to?)

If you pick it up, do you still get the chance to take a look at it (no defects, broken keys, noisy, distorted or non-functional outputs) and refuse it on basis of that?

What are you mostly afraid of: complexity? Or being saddled up with a machine that's been hyped here or on another forum and then finding out it's not all that?

If none of the above applies, there's no reason to hesitate (you may have to start looking for a spare display, though). Unless you promised your SO (if applicable) you wouldn't buy more crap since the studio's already overflowing or something. In that case, either try to sell it as a deal you couldn't pass up, or start thinking hard about making it up again.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Did you massively overpay for it (or are you going to?)

If you pick it up, do you still get the chance to take a look at it (no defects, broken keys, noisy, distorted or non-functional outputs) and refuse it on basis of that?

What are you mostly afraid of: complexity? Or being saddled up with a machine that's been hyped here or on another forum and then finding out it's not all that?

If none of the above applies, there's no reason to hesitate (you may have to start looking for a spare display, though). Unless you promised your SO (if applicable) you wouldn't buy more crap since the studio's already overflowing or something. In that case, either try to sell it as a deal you couldn't pass up, or start thinking hard about making it up again.
Hi Yoozer,

I don't think I've overpaid, and yes I will go and get it next weekend, so I'm sure I can check outputs etc. The complexity is fine, I enjoy the challenge really
and I've never really done FM synthesis - I had a DX100 once, just for the Lately bass, but I've always thought it' an area to explore.

I think you've hit the nail, it's whether I've been hyped up by the forum (my fault) and really don't know what to believe or think. I know everyone's idea of great is different but people do seem divided on it.

I am getting the usual "are you sure about this" speech from the Mrs, and "where the heck is it going to go" yes. That's normal and I'll ignore that!

Last edited by Soundsauca; 23rd September 2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Missed something
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

The SY99 is better but these are cool too. Best thing about them is all the custom soundbanks available out there for download. Load it up if it isnt already. Makes for a good master keyboard too, i like the action on the keys. My friend has one, but he doesnt do much programming on it, just loads custom sounds. Couldn't see myself editing my own sounds on it without an external editor. Lol. Hit those FM synthesis tutorials hard.
Old 23rd September 2013
I love the keys on it, but there are no Oct up/down hot keys making it not my first choise for a master.

I use a k2000 as a master. Easy to assign data slider, good Keys and oct up/down and a great synth.
Old 23rd September 2013
great synth. especially for £200!! use and enjoy.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

My mate has an sy35, which I'm assuming is a little brother of the sy77. It sounds surprisingly nice, but is more fun in small doses. We use it as a side instrument in the band. Can't go wrong for 200 quid though, if you find out you don't get on with it just stick it back on ebay.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
£205 UKP. With box etc... Looks in vgc
Bloody hell. Great price. I've seen then up for double that.

I have a TG-55, which is from around the same time- I still quite like the (admittedly very 90s) sound of it.

I would love one of these, much as my main instrument of lust is some kind of modular (and a digigitigitigitigal piano).

I'm actually quite jealous.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

It's a synth with truly great capabilities and an amazingly deep sound engine.

Programming it with a computer-based editor is a major improvement over using the front panel (parameters are distributed among over 250 pages...).
Old 23rd September 2013
Deleted 7a792f4
Agreed that the feel of the keys and the 2 mod wheels are lovely.

Soundwise- I never did anything with it that I couldn't do with a TX802 (others really liked and used the AWM samples in the FM algorithm- wasn't productive for me though) .

The sample based side never really inspired me- (nor did the SPX90II effects section)
so I just used the FM side (which is really great- and I preferred front panel programming on the SY77 to the DX7IID).

Good score!
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

The sy77 is a real programmers keyboard, certainly a synth that's more suited to sound designers than preset surfers. It's built like a tank (and is roughly the size of one), and can sound absolutely superb in the right hands. AFM sounds can be programmed to extremely playable, and there's huge scope for more experimental sounds too. £200 is a bargain. Just remember to bypass the onboard FX, and run it through some nice external reverb when you first get the thing.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
Soundwise- I never did anything with it that I couldn't do with a TX802 (others really liked and used the AWM samples in the FM algorithm- wasn't productive for me though) .
The TX802 is undeniably a nice unit, but AFM also adds the filters, which really opens up totally new sonic possibilities.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for all of your encouraging comments, I've been busy reading up on it and it does seem to be an awesome synth. I'm feeling much more positive about it now.

The other thing that was originally bothering me was a lot of the demos I've listened to have sounded like an 80s B-movie soundtrack, which doesn't interest me. I want alien landscapes, frozen sonic washes and dark industrial electronica. It hopefully will deliver that (after learning to program it

Last edited by Soundsauca; 23rd September 2013 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowthrough View Post
There are enough differences in sound and architecture between the TX802 and sy77 thatI keep both around. However, to me the looping envelopes in the 77 open up huge worlds of programming that you can't touch on an 802.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I want alien landscapes, frozen sonics washes and dark industrial electronica. It hopefully will deliver that (after learning to program it
For those sounds, if you put in the time to learn and program it and you will not be disappointed. IMO only the K5000 is an equal for those kinda sounds in hardware.
Old 23rd September 2013
Quote:
Thanks for all of your encouraging comments, I've been busy reading up on it and it does seem to be an awesome synth. I'm feeling much more positive about it now.

The other thing that was originally bothering me was a lot of the demos I've listened to have sounded like an 80s B-movie soundtrack, which doesn't interest me. I want alien landscapes, frozen sonics washes and dark industrial electronica. It hopefully will deliver that (after learning to program it
Hmm. I'd be concerned as a seller if I encountered someone as insecure about their purchase as you before even picking it up. (seriously no offense at all just saying)

I find that these type of people just will subconsciously find any other type of flaw with it and quickly ask for their money back.

What encouraging words I can give you (even though I do not own a SY77) is you need to give a synth time before throwing it in the "I do not gel with it category". I mean several months. Just use it and stick with it. Really get to know it.

I wouldn't go off the demos completely on youtube because you don't know the skill level in terms of programing, of each person demoing.

In the end you make a synth say what you want by tweaking and creating patches so if it's an alien landscape you want you should work hard at making that with the synth and if it comes down to you just can't get there with it then it might not gel with you.

Then again it can be a happy accident and you might end up liking the fact that the synth gave you an unexpected sound journey.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

I know what you are saying and thanks for your words. I've bought quite a few of my synths like this and have never been this indecisive. I think it's also my lack of knowledge on FM. Most of my stuff I have, I've understood what they were beforehand. That said I bought it and I will pick it up.
Old 23rd September 2013
Quote:
I know what you are saying and thanks for your words. I've bought quite a few of my synths like this and have never been this indecisive. I think it's also my lack of knowledge on FM. Most of my stuff I have, I've understood what they were beforehand. That said I bought it and I will pick it up.
FM is tough stuff and you have to stick with it and it takes a bit of effort. I'd say the key to using FM is to realize it's a texture of sound that can be complimented with other synths.

I'd also advise to give your ears an adjustment period for FM. It's a totally different type of sound and one that should be given a good chance. I wouldn't try to emulate analog synths with it but I can tell you it can be at its best when you use it for sounding unique and different. I'd say that is the key to FM actually! Ha

I own a DX7IIFD and I can tell you I love it for what it is. If you have an iPad I recommend you get iDX7. This program is easy to use and will give you very fast knowledge of how FM works. It helps your brain visually get what's going on inside FM.
Old 23rd September 2013
This guy has a pretty good tutorial. His youtube channel is "inside synthesis"

FYI there is no part 2

Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

That's a nice synth and you should be able to get much more than your 200 out of it. If not, sell it, minimize your losses and call it an education.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Just remember to turn off the global FX - they are what makes this synth sound dated. Without them it is a perfectly clear sounding FM synth.

After that, try all* of the 10.000 or so sounds that are floating around on the net (i believe it does accept DX7 sounds in some form or other) and see if there isn't something you might want to send through a nicer effects processor than the built in one...

* And don't come back here complaining before you have tried them all!
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The other thing that was originally bothering me was a lot of the demos I've listened to have sounded like an 80s B-movie soundtrack, which doesn't interest me. I want alien landscapes, frozen sonic washes and dark industrial electronica. It hopefully will deliver that (after learning to program it
SY77 is a superb instrument that cost close to $3000 in its time and it shows. Really great keybed, excellent build quality and very professional sound.
Sample side sounds dated, but probably no one buys it for that. FM is a very current sound (dubstep is very FM heavy) but needs programming. Effects are not that bad as people say and filters are really good and sound very Yamaha.
For starters check Himalaya soundsets:
Yamaha SY77
And check this video, not industrial but good sounds nonetheless:
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Love the SY77. It is great synth if the price and condition are right, give it a try.
📝 Reply