The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just bagged an SY77 - getting cold feet...
Old 25th September 2013
Deleted b598644
its all about character, tg77 and many other synths from the 90s still have character...
in the 21st century, many synths have lost their unique character and became much more generic
Old 25th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
FM is tough stuff and you have to stick with it and it takes a bit of effort. I'd say the key to using FM is to realize it's a texture of sound that can be complimented with other synths.

I'd also advise to give your ears an adjustment period for FM. It's a totally different type of sound and one that should be given a good chance. I wouldn't try to emulate analog synths with it but I can tell you it can be at its best when you use it for sounding unique and different. I'd say that is the key to FM actually! Ha

I own a DX7IIFD and I can tell you I love it for what it is. If you have an iPad I recommend you get iDX7. This program is easy to use and will give you very fast knowledge of how FM works. It helps your brain visually get what's going on inside FM.
The SY77/99 can do quite well at sounding analog, their filters are also excellent and can be driven to self oscillation. And the AFM in them means they are different than the DX7/DX7II FM, while you can do DX7/DX7II sounds on the SY77/99 if you want, they are much more than that.
Clyde
Old 25th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
The SY77/99 can do quite well at sounding analog, their filters are also excellent and can be driven to self oscillation. And the AFM in them means they are different than the DX7/DX7II FM, while you can do DX7/DX7II sounds on the SY77/99 if you want, they are much more than that.
Clyde
Btw, Clyde, it's really good to see you posting here. I really enjoyed our SY99conversations, in years past.

-Mike
Old 25th September 2013
Lives for gear

The effects sound good when you sample them and transpose em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I already have an AN1x

Hrast is correct. Although I must say I didn't expect a correct answer THAT fast!
The fs1r was too much for me. Sy77 and k5000 are my limit in terms of time. If I remember right you can't do some of the gritty FM sounds from the sy/tg77. But then there are some really cool sounds with the formants and stuff in there. If you're more of a methodical programmer it should be great. I'd like to know what yamaha had planned if the fs1r had been successful in terms of interface.
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Guru

Oh I love my programming. ZeeEdit - MIDI editor should help, too.
Old 25th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Btw, Clyde, it's really good to see you posting here. I really enjoyed our SY99conversations, in years past.

-Mike
Thanks for that Mike! I pop in to these forums from time to time and will post on threads that interest me, I'm on my "home" forum (yamahaforumsUK) at least two or three times a day.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OktoberStorm View Post
My mate has an sy35, which I'm assuming is a little brother of the sy77. It sounds surprisingly nice, but is more fun in small doses. We use it as a side instrument in the band. Can't go wrong for 200 quid though, if you find out you don't get on with it just stick it back on ebay.
Nothing alike at all. SY77/99 are proper monster synths, for real sound design nuts.

To the OP - the '77 is what you make it be, it's extremely flexible for a number of sounds and uses and has a lot of tricks not found on other synths.

I've been a big fan for some years, I've got two SY77s and had a TG77. What I'm tending to do these days though (as obviously I want to evolve too) is sample my custom AFM sounds from the SY77 into my V-Synth were I can get really crazy with the underlying sound. SY77 is good for that, though yeah you have to want to program it to get the best from it. Don't use it like a rompler

Some of my most unique and foundational patches came from the SY77 (used in quite a lot of my music) but as above, I need to move on a bit now for freshness only and have masses of my own AFM sounds I've now got into a V-Synth project (which is also my master keyboard now, taking over from both the JD-800 and SY77). In that respect I feel I haven't much need to physically own the 77s anymore, but I will miss those long programming sessions that struck gold.. V-synth is now my toy of choice for deep sound diving.

For the price you can't go wrong with the '77 and can always sell it on for what you paid if it's in good condition.
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

I'm convinced. I'm picking her up on Sunday afternoon, The guy is kindly setting it up so I can see everything works, I may take a pair of headphones to check outputs. I've had a listen to the sounds at Electric Himalaya and they are very very impressive patches. I appreciate what you're saying Pro5, everyone has a journey with an instrument and you sound like you have explored it widely. I'm going to take it slow as I need to get to grips with FM first. The Vsynth is an amazing machine too, I wouldn't be without my XT.

In preparation, I've been doing some bedtime reading with the manual. I don't think I've ever seen a synth engine so deep, exactly what I want!

@Clyde - I have lurked a bit on your forum and I can see myself soon becoming a member! It's a great forum you have. I resisted as I started this here and thought it would be somewhat rude to the people here, to split or repeat my thoughts.

Cheers guys
Old 26th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
I'm convinced. I'm picking her up on Sunday afternoon, The guy is kindly setting it up so I can see everything works, I may take a pair of headphones to check outputs. I've had a listen to the sounds at Electric Himalaya and they are very very impressive patches. I appreciate what you're saying Pro5, everyone has a journey with an instrument and you sound like you have explored it widely. I'm going to take it slow as I need to get to grips with FM first. The Vsynth is an amazing machine too, I wouldn't be without my XT.

In preparation, I've been doing some bedtime reading with the manual. I don't think I've ever seen a synth engine so deep, exactly what I want!

@Clyde - I have lurked a bit on your forum and I can see myself soon becoming a member! It's a great forum you have. I resisted as I started this here and thought it would be somewhat rude to the people here, to split or repeat my thoughts.

Cheers guys
There's a wee book for kindle by Simon Cann about FM that's quite good. It only really gets interesting half way through, but it tells you what a lot of different carrier/modulator ratios sound like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Make-Noi.../dp/B005SJ0GSE
Old 26th September 2013
FWIW, I've had mine for 20 years. Lots of synths have come and gone. But the SY77 has stood the test of time.

And it just sits perfectly with my V-synth, virus, kronos and other toys....... even my XP30.

just switch off the effects! :D Mine has all 4 outputs up and running and fed via an aux send to my Quadraverb+ (and DAW fx).

Don't use it ALL the time, but if I want something interesting, it's a "go-to" synth imho.

Dan
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post

Cheers guys

Seeing as you're used to a Vsynth, a reasonably complex and deep sound design synth, you'll probably be fine with the sy.

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
Old 26th September 2013
Lives for gear

Cheers guys! Yeah it certainly sounds like it's a great machine with so much mileage. Thanks for the link on that book, will look into it. Now I'm getting impatient, I want to take it for a spin. The Vsynth is a complex beast, certainly haven't hit the ceiling there either!
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

I've got her home and I'm very pleased! The keyboard action is great, it's in excellent condition. Display is faded but the backlight is still there, but will need to be replaced at some point. Disk drive "appears" to work apparently... But I'm no expert. Outputs are clean too!

Obviously I've had no time to edit it or understand programming yet. The patches are what I'd expect from a 1990 synth. There are a few patches that do allude to it's character.

I'm off to read the manual, be back in a year or two heh
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well now I got GAS for a TG77.

But I must resist. Because something else that is just as wicked this way comes!

See?

Ladies and gentlemen. May I have your attention please?
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh I love my programming. ZeeEdit - MIDI editor should help, too.
I just bought this too, but haven't had time to check it out. How is it at editing fseq's?.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

You poor bastid! Having to read a Yamaha manual....ouch.
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
I just bought this too, but haven't had time to check it out. How is it at editing fseq's?.
Wait for it - FS1R didn't arrive yet! It should be in Oct new gear thread, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
You poor bastid! Having to read a Yamaha manual....ouch.
Nah - I love reading manuals. But Yamaha's aren't particularly exciting, indeed. Roland has the worst manuals, though. Best written manuals (in no specific order): Korg, Waldorf, Kurzweil.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Funny lot aren't ya!
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Wait for it - FS1R didn't arrive yet! It should be in Oct new gear thread, though.
I'mma have to get ZeeEdit. I love my FS1r and really got into DX programming as a young'n but I really don't gel with the interface of "FS1r Editor" - and consequently my lovely silver fm box has been severely neglected. Needing Fusion to run it on OSX has been a hurdle. Have to bite the bullet.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nah - I love reading manuals. But Yamaha's aren't particularly exciting, indeed. Roland has the worst manuals, though. Best written manuals (in no specific order): Korg, Waldorf, Kurzweil.
German manuals are often fun to read- Doepfer/Waldorf in particular.

The ACTUALLY have humour in them and show that they were written by REAL people!
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

I loved this bit in the TG-77 manual
Attached Thumbnails
Just bagged an SY77 - getting cold feet...-interesting_sound.gif  
๐Ÿ“ Reply