The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mfb tanzbar
Old 2nd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mfb tanzbar

Anyone have one of these yet? I have a few questions about the machine..

Anyone wired it up using the individual outs? When I use one of the shared outputs (like kick) I just get the 1 kick come through. Is that because I need to use stereo jacks? I bought this to go with it straight into my mixer, but on the shared channels I only get the 1 sound.

the sssnake MPP8050 - Thomann UK

i thought that wire would be perfect, but alas its not working properly.

also could someone please tell me how to sync the tanzbar and the minitaur up so that the mfb triggers notes for the minituar. I cant seem to work that out either using the manual.

thanks
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you need this cable:

the sssnake YPP2030 - Thomann UK

Edit: 6 of those that is.
Old 2nd September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I think you need this cable:

the sssnake YPP2030 - Thomann UK

Edit: 6 of those that is.
thanks man.

also thats going into my mixer covered, but when i go from mixer to soundcard (audiofire 12) will the snake I originally ordered work or will the mono wires cancel out the sounds again?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
thanks man.

also thats going into my mixer covered, but when i go from mixer to soundcard (audiofire 12) will the snake I originally ordered work or will the mono wires cancel out the sounds again?
The 8-way cable you bought already will work.

The Tanzbär uses a weird way to get 12 outs. I really wish it had 12 proper 1/4 inch mono outputs instead, even if it mean it cost a bit more. They saved a few euros in the wrong place imo.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The 8-way cable you bought already will work.

The Tanzbär uses a weird way to get 12 outs. I really wish it had 12 proper 1/4 inch mono outputs instead, even if it mean it cost a bit more. They saved a few euros in the wrong place imo.

yeah it had me confused for ages as that snake wire was the wire i first set it up with. half of the sounds were missing so i was like wtf! i shall order those wires you linked too, so thanks for your help.

now just to find out how to sync it with the minituar. i can get cv1 and cv2 tracks working on their own (bass and melody) but have no idea how to sequence the minituar with the mfb. went through the manual last night, but cant figure it out. there seems to be a few other things as well that done quite work how they should do.

on a more positve note, its a really lovely machine. i have been a 522 user for many years, so was really glad to pick this machine up as it feels like a more updated version of that.
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Oh God, not again... MFB did something similar with 503 (the main out was a stereo quarter inch) which kind-of makes more sense given the size of 503, but on Tanzbär it sounds like a very dumb solution. According to the manual, inserting a plug into such a dual output removes *both* drums from the main mix, making you use/waste two channels — what were they thinking?

I keep a bunch of these for gear that uses tip/ring ins/outs: pro snake TPY 2003 JBB - Thomann UK
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
Oh God, not again... MFB did something similar with 503 (the main out was a stereo quarter inch) which kind-of makes more sense given the size of 503, but on Tanzbär it sounds like a very dumb solution. According to the manual, inserting a plug into such a dual output removes *both* drums from the main mix, making you use/waste two channels — what were they thinking?
what page on the manual does it say that? i have the english version and couldnt find anything about it

i just ordered 6 of these which is annoying because i dont have that many channels on my desk so will need to upgrade if i want to use all my equipment together - http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake...nsertkabel.htm
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
what page on the manual does it say that? i have the english version and couldnt find anything about it
The very first page, under "Audio outputs": http://mfberlin.de/Manual/Manual_e/Tb_be.pdf
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The very first page, under "Audio outputs": http://mfberlin.de/Manual/Manual_e/Tb_be.pdf

doesnt seem so bad then i guess.

because 2 of the channels u can still use mono wires for right? (toms and claps)

will one need to go from the stereo out if they have all 6 individual outs hooked up?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
because 2 of the channels u can still use mono wires for right? (toms and claps)
No. I don't own a Tanzbär but the manual says the three toms/congas are spread across the panorama. This would mean you still need to use two channels and pan them left&right. I'm not sure what they mean by "attack-transients are spread across the panorama" on clap, but it sounds like you need to use two channels and pan the different clap parts as you please.

Quote:
will one need to go from the stereo out if they have all 6 individual outs hooked up?
If there's nothing left for the main mix then you won't need the main outs either.
Lives for gear
Quote:
i just ordered 6 of these which is annoying because i dont have that many channels on my desk
Quote:
Oh God, not again... MFB did something similar with 503... but on Tanzbär it sounds like a very dumb solution... what were they thinking?
Quote:
  1. Yep it sucks to buy even more cables, but music will always be a money-pit.
    I use "Audio Out"-only most of the time, using individual outs as needed.

2. My guess is they were thinking "There isn't enough space to put 6 more ¼" jacks on here".

3. TRS has been around for decades. Mackie mixers use TRS inserts, CV/Gate use TRS, as do rackmount compressors.
    My Eowave bass sequencer (which sounds great with the Tanzbar!) uses a TRS out.

There's a longer topic about the Tanzbar here:https://www.gearslutz.com/board/produ...mcomputer.html
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you use ts or mono 1/4 jack you only get one drum sound that is taken from the main mix .you only get the drum that's listed on the left. To get the other drum, I don't have the bear in front of me, but try inserting a 1/4 jack halfway I believe you get the other drum.

You only need one jack for the Tom it's mono. The claps have a sort of stereo fx so using both for the clap might be cool if you want the stereo clap. I just run one jack to the clap.

Also you can get a 1/4 adaptor that is stereo to mono. You do lose volume so you have adjust volumes.
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ok. I've had somewhat of a struggle trying to figure out how to do the live knob recording so I thought I'd post the method that works for me here, as I know others are having/have had the same problem.

In the manual, on page 12 it says:
"Knob Record
This mode is activated when pressing Shift + Step 11."

Once you do that, you'll also have to push Step 11 again to activate it before pressing Select once more to confirm.

You can be in either Step or Jam mode.

"In Play mode (Rec/ManTrg button not lit), start recording of the sound controls for the currently selected instrument simply by pressing Sound plus the respective instrument button. The corresponding LED will flash until the next bar is reached (then turns on permanently)."

This part was driving me nuts. Simply because I was doing it in that order. If you instead push the instrument button and then press Sound, you'll see it flash and then go solid, recording knob twists for 1 bar. But pressing the instrument button first will also cause you to mute that sound. So the way I do it is: mute the sound, then press and hold it again (un-muting it) while you press Sound. Now you can hear it while you move the knobs as it records. Sometimes I've had to select the sound by pressing Rec plus the instrument to be able to hear the changes, most times I can hear it without doing this.

After making a beat with all kinds of knob-recorded craziness going on, you can press Shift plus Step15 (Man/Step) and toggle between two different states of sound parameters: The recorded ones (Step & Jam modes) and Manual mode where all steps reset to current sound parameters.
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking forward to receiving my Tanzbar this weekend.

I just sold my Jomox 888 last night to pay for it. I had one last blast with the Jomox, not having used it for a while I forgot how it's absolutely slamming.

The Tanzbar had better be good! I have a Vermona DRM 111 to accompany it.
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
Ok. I've had somewhat of a struggle trying to figure out how to do the live knob recording so I thought I'd post the method that works for me here, as I know others are having/have had the same problem.

In the manual, on page 12 it says:
"Knob Record
This mode is activated when pressing Shift + Step 11."

Once you do that, you'll also have to push Step 11 again to activate it before pressing Select once more to confirm.

You can be in either Step or Jam mode.

"In Play mode (Rec/ManTrg button not lit), start recording of the sound controls for the currently selected instrument simply by pressing Sound plus the respective instrument button. The corresponding LED will flash until the next bar is reached (then turns on permanently)."

This part was driving me nuts. Simply because I was doing it in that order. If you instead push the instrument button and then press Sound, you'll see it flash and then go solid, recording knob twists for 1 bar. But pressing the instrument button first will also cause you to mute that sound. So the way I do it is: mute the sound, then press and hold it again (un-muting it) while you press Sound. Now you can hear it while you move the knobs as it records. Sometimes I've had to select the sound by pressing Rec plus the instrument to be able to hear the changes, most times I can hear it without doing this.

After making a beat with all kinds of knob-recorded craziness going on, you can press Shift plus Step15 (Man/Step) and toggle between two different states of sound parameters: The recorded ones (Step & Jam modes) and Manual mode where all steps reset to current sound parameters.
Yea I was getting stuck on the mute part cool ill try this tomorrow .
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My tanzbar turned up at work today, first impressions without having fired it up:

It's not the build quality of an instrument like the Tempest or Vermona, but it looked far flimsier in pics than it is in the metal. All pots have consistent resistance and feel across the unit. Little switches seem ok.

It's very small and this has benefits for sitting on the desktop in place of the big ol' Jomox.

I'd pay £500 more for a larger size and top line build quality but then I have sausage fingers and like spending lots of money on drum machines.

Will report back after hooking it up. Fingers crossed the sound quality and sequencer are great.
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds like a very nice and well defined analogue drum machine on a first quick plug and play of preloaded patterns. Too tired to read a manual this evening.

Less fierce and punchy than the jomox (what isn't?), a nicer rounder sound than the tempest, and different to the a4. I like the sound a lot.

Different to the vermona in its more restricted spectrum of sounds and control breadth which means it does what it says on the tin.

Will give it some time this weekend and get started programming and using the sequencer properly.

Feels like we're going to get on so will try to learn this one properly.
Old 20th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Sounds like a very nice and well defined analogue drum machine on a first quick plug and play of preloaded patterns. Too tired to read a manual this evening.

Less fierce and punchy than the jomox (what isn't?), a nicer rounder sound than the tempest, and different to the a4. I like the sound a lot.

Different to the vermona in its more restricted spectrum of sounds and control breadth which means it does what it says on the tin.

Will give it some time this weekend and get started programming and using the sequencer properly.

Feels like we're going to get on so will try to learn this one properly.
Yea this is about exactly what I think. Jomox is crazy punchy which I like but unless your doing harder stuff it doesn't fit as well as the tanzbar. Adding mbase and mbrane to the tanzbar is a killer combo.

For those that like 909 type toms the bd1 can do those pretty well. use that with pram locks you can do 909 type kick and tom. Also using bend on the toms can make em a bit harder 908 sound .

The claps have such a huge range you can get 909, 808 and lots of other stuff including snare like sounds or fx.

The sequencer is excellent only thing I don't like is the real time knob recording. It only gives you one bar to record. When I do real time recording I like to give it some time to get a nice grove. But this is super minor since the plocks are handled really great.

The sound is fantastic...
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear
+2 about the sound.

i use a 606 & Tanzbar together; they always sound very happy with each other.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Loving the Tanzbar so far - superb sound which is all important and enough control to get plenty of variations from it.
Old 23rd September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Loving the Tanzbar so far - superb sound which is all important and enough control to get plenty of variations from it.
Have you experimented with the individual swing feature yet?

This particular spec really has my attention
Old 23rd September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is there nobody that can explain to me how to use the CV for controlling/triggering other outboard gear?

so far I have a wire going from the gate 1 to the inputs on my minituar and i can hear it triggering just the notes are not single notes. its only works when i press all the 16 steps down on the mfb.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Have you experimented with the individual swing feature yet?

This particular spec really has my attention
No sorry, had so little time recently.
Old 23rd September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think there's a new manual been uploaded to the mfb site in the past few days btw so you might want to look at that for any cv things.

This version makes a lot more sense then the previous one I had printed anyhow.
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Woo-hoo midi cc#s. Can't wait to get home and try these out.
Manual_e
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
hi everybody! ive recently purchased a tanzbar and it sounds like heaven, i love it already, but im having some problem trying to sync it with my tetra and playing it with the tanzbar sequencer, ive read the following in the manual:

Output of sequencer steps as note commands
The note output can be enabled globally.
You‘ll find this function in the setup menu.
• Hold Shift + press Setup (Step 16). The setup menu is active now. The flashing LEDs 1 - 10 visualise the available sub menus.
• Press Step 8 button. Note output is enabled.
• Pressing Step 8 again toggles between on (green) and off (red).
• Press Select to confirm the function.

have anyone had success trying this? after doing it i still listen the tanzbar sounds when pressing steps

thnaks!
Old 28th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Woo-hoo midi cc#s. Can't wait to get home and try these out.
Manual_e

don't bother with that yet. according to uwe

"we added control changes of 503 by accindent.
in the new handbook everythong could be right"

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks for this man, it works. Sometimes. I find it really finicky...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato Qu View Post
don't bother with that yet. according to uwe

"we added control changes of 503 by accindent.
in the new handbook everythong could be right"

Haha, OK. I'm glad I haven't had the chance to try them yet. The new manual is much better now. Will wait for the updated ccs.
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i need help, can i sequence my tetra from the tanzbar sequencer?
📝 Reply