The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mfb tanzbar
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In my opinion it's the best drum machine out there. I love everything about it, the beautiful woody sound, the classy looks, the cv connectivity, tight timing and the overall feel and experience of using it. It's got a strangely nostalgic sound that can still be wild and modern, and despite the cliche, it genuinely does fit into the mix effortlessly. I've built my whole set-up around it. The only downside is the bloody manual which is admittedly terrible, but once you get going with it, it's a dream machine.

I've noticed the 2nd hand market prices rising after the Tanzbar 2 came out, with many realising the same thing, that even MFB can't better this thing, and they aren't making any more of them... It's a seller's market now, but even if they end up becoming 808-style silly expensive in the 2nd hand market, it won't affect me because I'll never ever sell mine, nothing could replace it!

/Love letter.
Old 5th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Toy View Post
In my opinion it's the best drum machine out there. I love everything about it, the beautiful woody sound, the classy looks, the cv connectivity, tight timing and the overall feel and experience of using it. It's got a strangely nostalgic sound that can still be wild and modern, and despite the cliche, it genuinely does fit into the mix effortlessly. I've built my whole set-up around it. The only downside is the bloody manual which is admittedly terrible, but once you get going with it, it's a dream machine.

I've noticed the 2nd hand market prices rising after the Tanzbar 2 came out, with many realising the same thing, that even MFB can't better this thing, and they aren't making any more of them... It's a seller's market now, but even if they end up becoming 808-style silly expensive in the 2nd hand market, it won't affect me because I'll never ever sell mine, nothing could replace it!

/Love letter.
You obviously don't own a Tanzbar 2, because if you did your 'love letter' would be completely different. MFB doesn't regress with their tech or sound quality and the Tanzbar 2 proves this.
Old 5th March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
You obviously don't own a Tanzbar 2, because if you did your 'love letter' would be completely different. MFB doesn't regress with their tech or sound quality and the Tanzbar 2 proves this.
No cv is a regression. I'm not hating on the T2, I'm just crushing on the 1, which I think is better. I'm an MFB fanboy as should be obvious, and have a rack full of their gear, but I just don't think anything touches the T1.

As I said, the market is reflecting that - the only two on sale right now are used and over a grand each! It's cheaper to get a T2 right now than a 1. So *many* people are thinking similarly, but not all, obviously.

If you love the T2 better, cool, I think it's great too, I just think the original Tanzbar is the best drum machine ever, PERSONALLY. That's the reason I don't own a T2. Kind of a tautology. Doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend the T2 to others though.
Old 10th April 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

sync via midi to daw

After spent days looking for the answer to why my tanzbär1 dont sync good with Ableton i join this forum So hello everyone!

Soo i try to sync my tanzbär via the midi in2 and run its internal seq but it always drift away jumps and.. drives me crazy :P really want to use the internal seq.

Sure i could make the tanzbär to the master Clock and driving ableton instead.. or just use it as a soundmodule...

anyone else have this issue? or have just exp this and find a solution.

Just bought this machine soo

Version 1.3, seller told me he bought it in 2017? is there any new updates to this machine?
Old 10th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Toy View Post
I just don't think anything touches the T1.
Fully agree !
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone tried to add trigger inputs to tanzbar?
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone can do this test?

Send multiple midi notes at the same time, to trigger alll tanzbar sounds at the same time.
Record multi tracks.
And see if there is any latency between sounds.

Since midi is a serial protocol, it might be some micro latency.

Just wanna check.

Hence my last message on trigger inputs.
Old 17th April 2019
Here for the gear

Solve my problems with midi sync...

The problem was that i run the midi signal first to one device then to an other... then to the midi solution thrubox. Had to run it thru one device to power the thru box becouse my scarlett 18i20 doeset send power thru the midi port.

Will buy a erica synth thru box instead
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'd love the samples on T2 but T1 sounds better, full stop.
Old 4th June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino321 View Post
i have a problem with tanzbar,When i turn on the machine, the cowbell always sounds.
what am I doing wrong? have any solutions?
I have the same kind of problem on the cowbell track.
Not sure its the cowbell sound but it's related to its track: if I lower the volume of the cowbell track, the continuous sound fade.

anyone can help?
Old 4th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckahecka View Post

What stands out for you on the T1 that doesn't appeal to you on the T2?
Old 5th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckahecka View Post
T2 ftw!
Old 11th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Yep, once written in, a pattern LED will stay lit even after pattern erasure: but no big deal imo, I decided to take this as an endearing feature of the Tanzbar ...
Shift+MA/Setup
Press 7 twice (all 16 steps blink on second press)
Press Select

This clears the whole current bank and the LED's too. Handy if you're starting a song from scratch...
Old 11th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
Shift+MA/Setup
Press 7 twice (all 16 steps blink on second press)
Press Select

This clears the whole current bank and the LED's too. Handy if you're starting a song from scratch...

Thanks !
Old 16th October 2019

Hi all.
Just got my Tanzbär recently and made this little jam with two delay pedals.
Red Panda Particle 2 does granular glitches and Strymon El Capistan for classic tape feedback stuff.
For me personally sequencing is still kinda tricky on this machine, so here's just one sequence with adding and muting channels and some knob tweaking on drum machine and delays.
Old 20th October 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezs View Post
Not sure its the cowbell sound but it's related to its track: if I lower the volume of the cowbell track, the continuous sound fade.

anyone can help?
Broken oscillator?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
Oh God, not again... MFB did something similar with 503 (the main out was a stereo quarter inch) which kind-of makes more sense given the size of 503, but on Tanzbär it sounds like a very dumb solution. According to the manual, inserting a plug into such a dual output removes *both* drums from the main mix, making you use/waste two channels — what were they thinking?

I keep a bunch of these for gear that uses tip/ring ins/outs: pro snake TPY 2003 JBB - Thomann UK
Yup......503....keep that insert cable handy...Don't get left cable prospecting.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by closeyoureyes View Post
[..]For me personally sequencing is still kinda tricky on this machine [..]
Agreed, I never could get used to it. The sound is quite nice, though. Too bad the pots aren't recordable via MIDI.

Here's the Tanzbär (nothing else) into an Analog Heat + RNLA + Lexicon MX300 via a Soundcraft EPM12 mixer (one take using insert cables to split SD/RS+HH/CY from the main outs).
Some delay+reverb+eq+compression added ITB. A bit electro-ish, maybe. Lots of (recorded, not penciled) CC automation.
Attached Files

mfb-tanzbaer-20Oct2019c.mp3 (3.66 MB, 1059 views)

Old 27th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezs View Post

anyone can help?
Me too. MFB just said 'sounds like an open circuit.' i've been meaning to open mine up and have a look
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Factory Patterns

I just bought the Tanzbär and I think it sounds amazing!! And after all that was said I expected flimsy build and interface,.. I heartily disagree. Yes its light, but the buttons and knobs feel solid, even the small volume knobs feel sturdy and smooth enough to dial in the right volume. I actually like them as well as the small buttons. It gives it an unpretentious quality that makes it really inviting to play around. This just works for me. I remember how it took me a long while to really get playful with my Voyager because of it's 'intimidating(ly beautiful luxurious)' interface. ymmv
And the interface is really clever I think. Quick to come up with unique patterns. The way you can select multiple separate steps and adjust their parameters together is really intuitive. Really not what I expected.

And the sounds.. wow. I never heard one in the flesh. But now it's in my studio.. there is so much livelyness. Woody, warm analog sounds and I feel no need for further processing. And in contrary to a 909, 808 or many other analog machines I love all it's sounds. Even the quirky clap. As long as you don't try to replicate the 808 clap but go beyond that it really shines. Online I heard some awful demo's but imo it's mainly a matter of better volume balancing and to not try to make it sound like an 808. In a way it reminds me of a CR78 but mostly it's a unique machine with it's own character.

One thing is my Tanzbar is missing the Factory Patterns. I cannot find them on the MFB website. Could any of you Tanzbar owners out there please (sysex) dump and share the banks from set A for me? I would really appreciate that. Or do I get them back with a factory reset? (I would rather not, im not sure what else would change if I did.
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Tänzbar Live recording

Another tip I would like to share, that I did not find in this thread afaik, is that you can actually record live drumming. Just enable roll recording (shift+step 10, red led, confirm with select) and set the Tanzbar to Manual trigger (green led).
Old 22nd October 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MFB Tanzbar 2 user here, purchased end of July, 2020. Unit arrived in beautiful shape, and all works well except the Synth part, for which there is a very noticeable click sound that makes it (for all intensive purposes) unusable. I am thinking this must be DSP related, and not necessarily related to additional samples being installed, etc., just the one part clicking though the rest of the sounds come through fine. Bad oscillator? I've tried various parameters (including attack at 000) and etc. I’m on v. 1.07 (came with the newest, confirmed after OS download today). I’ve contacted MFB but nothing yet. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I’m wondering if there is a factory reset, I can’t find it in the manual? Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It is not possible to do a factory reset on the T2. Cave Way on youtube is a pretty comprehensive user and he's been responsive to my questions about the Tanzbar 2 in his comments section. He might be helpful if you don't find your answer here.

Here is a link to his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UV...hannel=CaveWay

(Also sorry to be that person but it's 'for all intents and purposes' not 'intensive purposes')
Old 23rd October 2020
Gear Maniac

Good Luck on getting a reply they are too busy the last 2 years they told me that's why they don't reply! TB2 needs an update!
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
No cowbell!

I’ve recently purchase a Tanzbär, and really love the sound of it, but I absolutely cannot figure out why the cowbell isn’t making a cowbell sound. It is as though it is all attack and no decay. Just a very quiet, faint pop/click. But I have tried to isolate the problem in a few ways:
  1. Confirmed the jack itself is putting out audio. I get CL sounds loud and clear, and also I get the faint click form the CB. If I adjust the volume knob for CB it clearly adjusts the volume of the faint click.
  2. I’ve tried all manner of TS and TRS cabling options, but none seem to make a difference.
  3. I’ve tried adjusting the CB:Tune parameter via the Data knob, and I can hear the slightest change in tone, although it is so short and quiet that it is scarcely audible. I believe it is working but the sounds itself is limited in some other way.
  4. When I play the Tanzbar via MIDI from a keyboard I get what seems to be five tom sounds, instead of three, but there is no CB and no MA.
  5. I’ve tried to adjust CC 86 (CB_Decay) and CC 103 (Track Delay CB) fully in both direction, but there was no change to the sound.
  6. I tried to edit the "hidden" parameter with the Sound button.
  7. I have tried a factory reset, but this didn’t make a difference.

The sticker on the bottom of the unit says version 1.03. I can’t find firmware anymore so I am unclear if there is a newer firmware I should be using, or how to check the current version. I've emailed MFB but based on this thread I am not holding my breath. Any ideas? Still finding my way around it, but don't *think* I'm doing something obviously stupid. entirely possible though.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I recently emailed mfb for the factory banks and received them the next day!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hmm, you’ve tried everything I would think of, especially trying to unstick stuck midi CCs. Sounds like the voice itself might be broken :(
Old 11th December 2020
Lives for gear

+ blaterallwronky!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighzi88 View Post
Hmm, you’ve tried everything I would think of, especially trying to unstick stuck midi CCs. Sounds like the voice itself might be broken :(
Ugh. I really hope not, but thanks for confirming I'm not overlooking the obvious. Purchased on Reverb (as "Mint") and am past the return window now I think. Not sure how to be really certain that's the issue with such a poorly documented instrument. :/

Any ideas what would be involved in fixing one voice?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
CB via MIDI

Oh, and any idea why I get five toms and no CB or MA when playing the Tanzbar with a keyboard? The five toms are chromatic, and I can see what channel they are routing on, but I don't understand which instrument the two extra toms are, for instance if I wanted to flam them or parameter locks.
📝 Reply